Grab handles - what are they for?

Think they are also known as Bumperettes.

Not sure on the true purpose for them but they fend off the odd minor impact and help keep your rear lights away from things!

Have also once seen a series 3 tied to a tree via these to prevent it sliding further into a ditch, while the owner went for assistance (i presume!)!

I have two nice big handles on each end of my crossmember, I presume they're standard. Any idea what they are for?

Funny you should ask that, I used to ask myself that question when I had a 1989 D90 with those same handles on.

I took mine off when I found they weren't strong enough to be of any real use for anything.

They did appear to be a standard fitment then but not on the later ones, I've no idea of their real purpose, I'm sure someone will be along soon to enlighten us though.

I think that they are the equivalent of the same thing on the WWII Jeep - handles for use when providing manual traction assistance... (pushing or pulling it) ;)

That's my take on their original purpose too - bearing in mind that the early models were smaller and lighter. Cue pic of original centre steer 'bitsa'

centresteer.jpg

..and one of my old MB's

MB.jpg

:unsure: Sometimes certain designs really do not serve the purpose. Grab handles it is called but does anyone grab them at all? I wonder if sometimes the designers are in their right mind when they are given the task of finding solutions to simple things like steps behind the truck!! :unsure:

MB.jpg

mmmm - link to more pictures pretty please? :rolleyes:

As to the practicality of them - I think that bearing in mind the (lack of) weight of the original Jeep and the expected availability of young, fit, strong and willing manpower (GIs) they were probably very useful at times during the mid forties :D

As to their usefulness on a 90 today? I guess it depends on your situation and the strength of your, or your mate's, backs ;)

mmmm - link to more pictures pretty please? :rolleyes:

As to the practicality of them - I think that bearing in mind the (lack of) weight of the original Jeep and the expected availability of young, fit, strong and willing manpower (GIs) they were probably very useful at times during the mid forties :D

As to their usefulness on a 90 today? I guess it depends on your situation and the strength of your, or your mate's, backs ;)

Exactly! The original Land Rover prototype was cobbled together using a lot of gubbins from the wartime Jeep and therein lies the answer.

I'd have thought they were a bit low to be useful for pushing or pulling. I think I'll leave them off until I find something else to put in the hole. I like the idea of a step to help when lashing things on the roof bars. Yours certainly look like they'll probly take my weight Les :-) Perhaps with a small piece of chequer plate on top. Life is full of complicated decisions.

Dave.

<_< The modern man has lost all traits of a "man". I guess the men of the 40's grabbed,whacked and wer physically active. I guess they could hold on the truck from descending any hill. Now we use winches and even use gloves when grabbing the wires and ropes on the winch. The old time farmers have palms that could grind off any rust under the chassis. I once shook hands with a farmer and got red palms instantly. He twitched mine mercilessly. I guess Les' is a modernised graber. :rolleyes: