Show us yer Front Winch Bumper - Pics Please

Having now finished the NOR cage and Challenge wings and a few other Jobs

next on my list is to remake the front Winch Bumper (as if you hadn't guessed already :P )

Please can an all post up 2 x pics of the front winch bumper so I can see the multitude of

thoughts and designs on the forum, one sort of front staright aheadish, one from a jaunty diagonal

angle sort of in front of the bumper wing diagonally then at the vehicle

Then I can nick the best ideas / designs study them for asthetic reasosn only of course :lol:

Nige

Nige, here's a few for you:

The 90 I've co-driven in a few times. IMHO it sticks out a bit far but you don't have too many options without moving the rad. It is nice and high, though. Strength wise, it hasn't even though about bending.

1239102977-IMG_0572.jpg

For the more standard look Bucky's car takes some beating if you're after aesthetics:

1229446420-Baskilvill08_091.jpg

Again, though, the approach angle's compromised. I know, I know this comes from the man who used to run an ARB bumper. However, I was a fan as it was 'kin strong so I could subscribe to the "if there's something in my way it soon won't be" philosophy :P

How thick is that piece of steel the winch bolts too :o

It may not be quite strong enough for Nige, but even so it looks like 1" plate.

:lol: ........

This might show it better, it shows its a lip on the front to stiffen up the plate, it also shows better how far back it its..

Sorry for spamming yer thread Nige ;)

P1010048.jpg

Dont know whether its of interest but this is what i did with my bumper, it was just a standard height bumper with very little approach angle. all bracketry was made from 6mm plate, i like it becuse it gives good approach angle and a very sturdy bumper to protect wings.

gallery_3861_741_12254.jpg

med_gallery_3861_741_130259.jpg

gallery_3861_741_375529.jpg

My effort:

bumper.jpg

Made from some off cuts of box section, only 4mm thick, but plenty of triangulation in places were it matters. The crossmember has been moved back by about 80 mm, to make space for the Dibnah winch, which also bolts to the crossmember. The weight of the bumper is about 15 kg, while I cut off the jacking points of the chassis completely, losing 5kgs. I als shortened the chassis rails by 40 mm in length, and redrilled and sleeved the bolt holes to suit. The angle of the bumper is exactly in line with the sumpguard, so you have the least amount of drag while pulling yourself through the mud. I also put jacking mounts to the bumper. The position of the winch and towing eyes is such that it pulls in line with the chassis rails, rather than above, a lot of winches are now mounted above the framerails which is not ideal IMO.

The dibnah winch, I found in some antique shop, it was quite heavy, I reckon 25 kg at least!

To Will Warn: Sorry will, I was having a bad day when wrote my reply.

Daan

I didn't like the approach angle with a standard winchbumper either, but do prefer a boxy one to a tubular one.

So I got a First Four and used the same method as Fender to mount it higher up. We did the same on a 2007 with airco a few months back, it looks great!

normal_PICT0356.JPG

I didn't like the approach angle with a standard winchbumper either, but do prefer a boxy one to a tubular one.

So I got a First Four and used the same method as Fender to mount it higher up. We did the same on a 2007 with airco a few months back, it looks great!

normal_PICT0356.JPG

Did the exact same thing on my 88" to get the same bumper level as a Defender. But in turn that gives me a much better approach angle than Defenders because my frontaxle sits more towards the front.

Like Chris I opted for a bikini mount.

Can't find a photo online with the hawse etc, this will do...

webfront.JPG

Plan B is to cut the bumper off at the chassis legs and weld similar sized channel section to the sides of the bikini mount so the top is in line with the bottom of the light surround.

I say Plan B, thats actually more like Plan R on the list of things to do :(

Will :)