Recovery Points - Anyone ever seen / know these ?

Hi All.

I'm in process of modifying / rebuilding my front winch bumper.

2 things :)

1. Was wondering about what to shove on the front Winch Bumper for

recovery points - the swivelly things, some 25mm bar bent into a hoop or

what ideas have you for it ?

2. I saw these,.... they look seriously HD / poss good ?

but I have no idea who makes them / where they are from / if any good

anyone know / have any views ?

post-22-1248816788_thumb.jpg

Nige

Hi All.

I'm in process of modifying / rebuilding my front winch bumper.

2 things :)

1. Was wondering about what to shove on the front Winch Bumper for

recovery points - the swivelly things, some 25mm bar bent into a hoop or

what ideas have you for it ?

2. I saw these,.... they look seriously HD / poss good ?

but I have no idea who makes them / where they are from / if any good

anyone know / have any views ?

Nige

what's wrong with a 3.5tonne jaw/pin hitch on each side, that's whats on my 110's front bumper for recovery/pulley block use never had any problem with them

post-20-1248818578_thumb.jpg

what's wrong with a 3.5tonne jaw/pin hitch on each side, that's whats on my 110's front bumper for recovery/pulley block use never had any problem with them

I had a pair of them on the front of the 6x6. The lugs were cut off and they were welded on in line with the chassis legs with the pin horizontal. Worked fine for me both as winching and towing points with a bridle and also for an A frame for rigid towing and also made good jacking points for the hi lift.

A company called albert jagger who do EVERYTHING for coachbuilders is who you want to speak to, they do many versions on that theme.

Will.

(better brace the ickle card though!)

Guest noggy
I had a pair of them on the front of the 6x6. The lugs were cut off and they were welded on in line with the chassis legs with the pin horizontal. Worked fine for me both as winching and towing points with a bridle and also for an A frame for rigid towing and also made good jacking points for the hi lift.

what else did your amazing 6x6 have? jeez is was hundreds of years ago, get with the future.

plus welding towing jaws is not healthy practice.

what else did your amazing 6x6 have? jeez is was hundreds of years ago, get with the future.

plus welding towing jaws is not healthy practice.

The 200Tdi was hundreds of years ago as well but some people apparently still like them :P

Dear HFH sir,

I purchased a pair of these from Rugged Ridge for my JK Wrangler (yes a sin I know) but I was only able to get them in 'Stainless' (now powder coated black) unless I bought a complete bumper.

Yes they are very strong and as long as you mount them with HT bolts in line with the chassis rails i dont think even you would rip them off.

Clang, clang, clang WTF that noise?

Having lived near a similar fitting on HMS Intrepid I can guarantee that sooner or later it will get on your nerves.

I like the idea of a pin for mounting pulleys etc though.

Clang, clang, clang WTF that noise?

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :ph34r:

Hadn't thought of that, good thought :(

I have been wondering about the swivelly recovery type hooks, I am really uncomfortable using

these sorts of things, I have never really liked them, whilst they look good I do wonder of the

safety when my 14000 Lbs Hydro Winch is used in vengence, :ph34r: ......and add a snatch block

into the equation :blink: ?

The FF Swivelly units say tested, but not as to tested to what safety level and if that lifting or pulling

having had a quick look the shackle they are using looks 3 tons ish :huh:

Thoughts for swivelly recovery units / options would be useful, anyone views re the above please ?

Nige

You probably wouldn't keep the JATE ringy things on there perminently anyway Nige so they wouldn't clang. Why not just weld some really hefty lugs that could take normal JATE rings? or just normal D Shackles for that matter, you could have them in various places to suit different recoverys...

Will :)

I'd sugest you go for the bent ring of round bar option as it very easy to make / use, especially when the truck i burried in mud or underwater, as you can attach the winch hook with just one hand and if you make a large radius bend it's less likey to fill up with mud.

Just my opinion though.

Thoughts for swivelly recovery units / options would be useful, anyone views re the above please ?

My view is a definate nono, having codriven a car with these, they are a major PITFA. Imagine your car in a weird position on a slippery hill, and your codriver hanging onto a tree to try to connect the winch cable to your swively hook: rather than just hook the cable on with one hand, like you normally would, you need 2 hands. So your codriver is hanging on to the tree with one hand, while hooking on with his 2 other hands. It doesn't happen bascially.

Daan

I agree with Mr "Mine's longer than yours" Lang.

I had 16mm loops on the RR and never bent them. Have 20mm on the 90 (because that's what I had lying around) but haven't tested them yet.

Simple, low tech, easy to see if they are struggling (will deform significantly before they let go) so tick all most* of the boxes for you.

* They are also lightweight so they miss out on that count I suppose :P :P.

when i did my bumper i used two eyes off a lightweight with a shackle through them

You know those eyes are for lifting only, not recovery :unsure: so only really designed to lift a corner of a ltwt (~500kg) rather than endure a snatch recovery (forces in the tonnes).

Back on topic, I'm with David - welded hoops or standard 3.5t pin hitches, neither of which will rattle. I've also seen oversize D shackles with the pin removed welded to the side of the chassis rail to give a recovery loop, although I'm not sure how good an idea that is.

Ridging steel loops. Simple, robust, very strong in most directions of pull (set at an angle a la D44 competition bumpers), easy to use (the don't flop out of the way when working one handed) and cost effective. The only disadvantage I can think of is you need a shackle to attach anything other than a hook which can be annoying, depending how impatient you are.

Clevis hitches have the advantages over a ridgid loop of not needing shackles, so can be quicker and readily avalible of the shelf (minimal fabrication). However the pins can be an issue, I've managed pushed them before out while driving over obsticles and clips to stop them coming out are a pain if its sunk in mud. Some clevis hitches don't have much space so if you want to attach more than one rope at a time you still need a shackle.

Nato hitches are another tried and tested option, though I have known these jam shut when used with straps, there the strap tries to come out through the gap between top and bottom jaws and typical winch hooks won't attach directly to them because of the size of the jaws.

What advanatges are there to those loops on the jeep in the origional post other than flopping down out of the way when not in use?

My preferance would be for either a simple loop or clevis hitch if reguarly attaching items without hooks.

Keep it simple comes to mind so I would favour the bent and welded loop.

When I've seen these fitted they tend to be mounted with the bar of the loop vertical which I don't understand.

In a straight pull it makes no difference if the loop is vertical or horizontal.

In the case of a side or angled pull a horizontal loop would be stronger so that is the way I would have expected to see them mounted.

Perhaps my lack of winch experience is missing some other vital element of the pull.

Steve