Beware Adrian Flux

alan kemp

I have two cars insured with Adrian Flux and have just recieved a renewal quote for my BMW. It was a similar cost to last year AT £692 with a £300 excess. Money being tight and all that, I thought I would get another quote. The first one I tried was LV, the were £259.00 cheaper so no question about where the insurance would be going. I phoned AF as they said they would guarantee to match any quote, I wanted to point out the error of their ways as the new quote from LV was with a £200 excess against AF's £300 and 16.5% credit interest against a whopping 37.7% with AF.

Whilst I was on the phone, I thought I would ask what refund I would get on my defender insurance should I wish to take that elsewhere. On a £480 policy which was taken out in July 2009, I would get back £47.00. They retain 75% of the insurance, £25.00 cancellation fee and they retain their commission.

Prior to my renewal on the defender, the renewal price was about £370.00, I waited a couple of weeks before renewing as the truck was off the road for repairs. When I renewed, they added another £100+ because there was a break in the policy.

They seem to think they have a right to rip us off if the policy is altered in any way.

Same here - quote for normal road going car was sky high, decided to take the disco insurance somewhere else too - as was only with them for 2 month, payed all up front, about £350, was going to get £27.40 back :huh: so left the disco insured with them (to say that I am not impressed with their "refund and cancelation policy" is an understatement) :angry:

Had a similar problem back in 1999 with my fiesta rally car. Decided to cancel my road policy with Adrian Flux, and take out 'laid up' cover with Competition Car Insurance (top people to deal with) whilst I rebuilt it.

Can't remember exact figures now, but I remember being absolutely fuming at the time with Adrian Flux.

I even swore at them on the phone, and that's not like me at all.

Needless to say, I've never used them since.

To be honest, They have been reasonable to me so far, as oposed to Peter Best, whose practices are near criminal.

I doubt any insurer is keen to give money back, AF maybe bad but they are all as bad as each other I reckon (exept Peter

Best of course).

I ussually deal with it by putting a date in my agenda about 2 months before renewal next time and than start searching for new options. This avoids them taking your money before you realize its too late. Oh, and if you have direct debit, cancel it as well.

Daan

im not happy with them either changed my insurance over from my old audi to my p38 they told me on the phone i was insured to drive any car as i was with the a3 then when i got the paperwork through im not covered

i rang them up and they said they never said that i asked them for the recorded conversation i had and surprise surprise its not on file so make sure you read your small print as it could of cost me 6 points on my license at least would hate to think what would have happened in a collision

I am very happy with the service from AF they have insured/paid out without issue for years for me.

cancelling any policy will see your money turn to thin air

look at cancelling life/home or any other cover that's why paying monthly can be attractive.

Always get alternative quotes before the deadline oitherwise this could simply be the case to anyone.

I've used AF for 10+ years on and off for all types of modified and road car and trucks, lately covering my 'Toy Rover' and my standard D2.

When I sold the Toy Rover I phoned up to cancel the policy and was given no refund, the policy year starts in January and we were 9 months in, so no refund! Prorata the monthly cover is around £33, so I was expecting that less some admin, maybe £50 to £75 back? It would be better to keep the insurance rolling and hope that I have a replacement that I can keep the no-claims on next year, but that's a form of fraud, insuring something you don't have!

Can anybody suggest a company for seriously modified vehicles?

I have "Tried" to use Adrian Flux, I had a nightmare, think their service

is appalling, I use Snowball (now Academy) who are not the cheapest but have

been more than fair, professional and understanding / helpfull since I insured

with them, Flux can Flux off until they sort out their service

They may be cheap, but I won't deal with them - or until they offer quality

service, too hit and miss for me

Nige

I have been with Flux for a few years,

they were one of the few who knew what a bobtail was.

I always ring around for a better quote on renewal, the last few times I have got them to pricematch, last week from £280 to £215, the modded disco is only £150,

apart from one mix up,(dont think many customers have more than one of the same car) its all been ok.

I have yet to claim from them, but have insured with AF for the last two years as they were the cheapest.

On the topic of refunds - their policy is clearly stated in the docs so if you don't like it, don't take out the policy.

I have insured my defenders with Adrian Flux for last 4 years. This year got a letter telling me not to worry they would just go ahead and renew my policies although I have never given them authority for continuous payment from my card. I have always aked them for a new quote at renewal time which every year has been cheaper than the renewal invitation.

In addition, on one of the policies they were going to add personal accident cover for £25. What a scam. I`m taking my business elsewhere even if it is more expensive. Thought I might try NFU.

John

I was with AF for years, their refund policy was up to the first 6 mths you would get 6 mths back but possibly with a charge.

This has obviously changed.

I am with AF again for my Series 1 as they are hugely cheaper than my previous insurer Marlowe - now part of Glynwood. They were very good value and knew what a Hybrid was but the price went up or did not go down so I moved on.

So far (tempting fate) I have never claimed with my Land Rovers.

Marc.

I've had my S1 insured with AF for years. Every year they honour their 'beat any other quote' offer so I am happy

I insured my first car (Marina 1.8) through them many years ago (18 years old - £150 TPFT for any car owned by me) but since then I've never found them competitive for everyday cars and I go elsewhere.

I just renewed mine with Sureterm - no problem with a considerable list of modifications (continuation sheet...) and a discount for being an LR4x4 member.

I'm sure they'll screw me for a refund / cancellation / moving house / adding drivers / changing the colour of the fuel gauge etc - just as anyone else will. The only company that I've found who have been "fair" in the traditional sense of business ethics was NFU, but they went rather cold when I started modifying my Ninety - I guess their bread and butter customers will go as far as an Ifor Williams top and folding side steps, and no further.

I have insured my defenders with Adrian Flux for last 4 years. This year got a letter telling me not to worry they would just go ahead and renew my policies although I have never given them authority for continuous payment from my card. I have always aked them for a new quote at renewal time which every year has been cheaper than the renewal invitation.

In addition, on one of the policies they were going to add personal accident cover for £25. What a scam. I`m taking my business elsewhere even if it is more expensive. Thought I might try NFU.

John

Hardyspicer,

I spoke to NFU in Kilmarnock yesterday about my Discovery & Defender based on the recomendations of this forum. Very helpful, right up to the point they quoted me £650 for the Disco alone.... almost 3 times my renewal from Adrian Flux.

It amazes me how Insurance can vary person by person and company by company... I would have thought I should have been easy to insure... early 30s, 10+NCB completely clean history etc.

Looks like AF will get my business again - although I have a few days still to shop around.

I switched to Adrian Flux from Admiral in April and saved £200! I work in insurance myself (albeit in a rather different area to motor insurance - namely nursery and playgroup insurance! :unsure::ph34r: ) and I made sure that I knew the terms and conditions before accepting the quote.

Adrian Flux's cancellation terms are a bit steep, but not that unusual. I may be wrong but I have the impression that brokers charge a bit more for mid term cancellation than direct insurers.

Steve