OT: The inevitable Top Gear thread

Guest diesel_jim

Anyone else notice the wire rope and alloy fairlead combinations?

They obviously weren't intending to use them...

I noticed that :blink:

It was good fun and i thoroughly enjoyed it. But some of it irritated me. Rolling the LC was a shame :( only 'Yota I would buy. (am i turning into a grumpy old man? :P)

And well done Rangie :D

Certainly is which is why the thread is now part of it!

I did try the forum search by typing Top Gear into it. I then got 200 threads about transfer boxes and gears returned - hence why this bit of the thread was not originally linked to this top gear thread.

Excellent entertainment, RRC,s do look good in the jungle, mmm Darien Gap , mind you that toyota was rather lovely too, I saw quite a few of those when I was in NZ with small block V8's and one with a Lexus V8.

Good tv at least there was no glitz and phone voting........

Think I saw plasma rope on one of the winchs at one point

cheers

Steveb

I still wonder how much is staged/faked though...

Almost every minute of it would have been staged, with, I imagine, very little room for ad-libbing.

Being the BBC, H&S would have been as much a priority as entertainment too. Did you notice, that when they got to that village to carry out the "mods" they all came away with roll cages? In some shots from the start, Hammonds cage was already visible. I dont expect remote Bolivian villages to have facilities to manufacture cages, so I presume these were ordered from elsewhere, and were waiting for the team when they arrived.

Also, I wonder what level of support was on this trip? As happened on the North Pole trip, they were accompanied by several other vehicles, not only for the camera & sound crew, but Polar & survival professionals.

What vehicles did they have along for this, and what professional support? I can 100% guarantee that the 3 of them were not blithely bush clearing themselves; nor was that slope driven for the first time by them......both the Range Rover & the Suzuki had been down it before with a pro driver.

I think it was a very, very good Top Gear, and thoroughly enjoyed it ("Poo is coming out") and all the people who care about the fact that they were using wire winch rope with an ali fairlead, should just remember....it is just entertainment.

Top Gear was actually number 1 on a program later on the same night, called "Top telly of the noughties" and they all said in interview, that they are just doing stuff that almost all men would love to be able to do. They dont want to teach lessons, or provide consumer advice...just have a laugh with their mates.

Anyone else notice the wire rope and alloy fairlead combinations?

They obviously weren't intending to use them...

I think this had more to do with advertising as the fairleads in question were nice blingy blue one's with Superwinch clearly showing, a roller farlead would have no name on...

Did you notice, that when they got to that village to carry out the "mods" they all came away with roll cages? In some shots from the start, Hammonds cage was already visible. I dont expect remote Bolivian villages to have facilities to manufacture cages, or provide large suspension lifts, so I presume these were ordered from elsewhere, and were waiting for the team when they arrived.

Yup. These people

I loved it, every minute, the best entertainment TV for the whole of Christmas -I even said to my better half 'Right, Christmas is over now' -'huh' she replied - 'yeah, top gear Christmas special has finished'..... :rolleyes::)

As for being staged... of course it was, get over it, as for ruining our image, ummmmmmm how? They have shown what can be done with almost standard vehicles (at the beginning anyways), they didn't do anything illegal, had fun, broke a sweat, and inspired people to do the similar things. If that's bad for 'off roaders' then I don't know what is good.....

I did try the forum search by typing Top Gear into it. I then got 200 threads about transfer boxes and gears returned - hence why this bit of the thread was not originally linked to this top gear thread.

I found it by using the advanced search and restricting it to the International.

I found it by using the advanced search and restricting it to the International.

I should have done that, but still thought it was silly that typing Top Gear into a search of the whole forum didnt bring this up since that is its title - surely this should be the most relevant if sorted in that order.

The support for the programme was done by Wildtrackers a UK based outfit staffed by ex Camel guys who do lots of work for vehicle manufacturers and the TV and film industry. The end credits did list UK Camel Trophy winner/legend Bob Ives among the Vehicle Consultants.

The Top Gear Polar expedition was supported by Arctic Trucks from Iceland the same people who built the Hilux's.