Kenlowe fan's

Maverik

I've decided to convert by 90 to Electric fan after some deliberation, now looking around for Fan units, Kenlowe seem to be the "in" thing, they cost an absolute fortune though, are they worth it?

Cheers

Mav

I have twin kenlowes on my 90 and IMVHO they are way overprioced junk

They do not shift that much air, the motors are the nastiest things I have ever seen,

they are hopeless off road with mud and water and I have had the motors apart to fix too many times.

Replacement motor prices are a complete joke, so, when mine fail and I can't nurse them back to life the

last thing I would consider is to replace them with new Kenlowes.

Pacet are a bit better, but still mad money, I have heard good things on SPAX <sp> units

but I may have spelt that wrong

Nige

My Kenlowe does shift a lot of air, but one 'speed' of the motor has perished to Hogmoor sand. I'm replacing the thermostat with an X-Fan switch though, as it's habit of defaulting to on when it gets wet is getting a bit old...

When it finally dies I will replace it with a cheapo scrapyard jobbie. My excuse, well I wasn't aware of the forum when I bought it and so knew no better!

It's worth pointing out that "scrapyard" fans are usually made by someone like Spal for the car manufacturer anyway, and these days that means they're designed for 100,000+ reliable miles. Kenlowes are designed for DIY/modified/special motors or adding to older vehicles, most of which will fall apart or break down before they manage 100,000 miles with their kenlowe fitted.

I run twin Audi fans and they're lovely. Just take your tape measure for a walk round the scrappy :P

It's worth pointing out that "scrapyard" fans are usually made by someone like Spal for the car manufacturer anyway, and these days that means they're designed for 100,000+ reliable miles. Kenlowes are designed for DIY/modified/special motors or adding to older vehicles, most of which will fall apart or break down before they manage 100,000 miles with their kenlowe fitted.

I run twin Audi fans and they're lovely. Just take your tape measure for a walk round the scrappy :P

Get an X-Fan thermostat and a diesel mondeo fan. I had a Kenlowe once, the "open to the elements thermostat" filled with mud and died. What a waste of money on a vehicle that's going to play in the mud. :(

Mo

i'll stick with my viscous thanks! Shifts a damn site more air than a leccy one and no wiring to go wrong. :ph34r:

Lets not debate that fact again just here... But as seen as you brought it up :) , my rational is that if my fan takes my water pump out with it when it pops then my engine is screwed (meaning its drivability) if the motor goes on an elecy fan then you still get a wee bit of natural cooling without it (and water circulating). You can bodge a 12v fan a lot easier than you can bodge a water pump :)

- let loose the dogs of war...

But why would your viscous fan take out your waterpump? If it hits something hard so that it breaks of with the waterpump, okay, but then a lot of other stuff can, and will go wrong if something hits that hard inside your engine bay. I personally prefer viscous units myself, they stop rotating when they are submerged, and if you are running, say an electric winch you will be annoyed at how much power it takes from your batteries. Most cars with factory fitted elecy fans actually ups the revs at idle when the fans come on, just to be able to cope with the high amps that are drawn.. I am not trying to diss the elecy fan completely, just saying that for engine cooling I see more problems than advantages.

Yea.... Electric Vs Viscous.... again it must be at least two weeks since whe have had that fight..

SO let me sum it up.....

Fit what ever suits you/your use, it may be Viscous, it may be Electric (enviroment/engine/uses/bad experience etc...etc....etc)

If fitting Electric buy them from a scrap yard for £5.00 each buy a spare incase you buy a dud, get the X-FAN kit to run it, and a temp light to make sure you know its working. Oh and don't bother with Kenlow (general feeling on here, overpriced and not that well built)....

Think that about covers it............tongue.gif

Jason.

Yea.... Electric Vs Viscous.... again it must be at least two weeks since whe have had that fight..

SO let me sum it up.....

Fit what ever suits you/your use, it may be Viscous, it may be Electric (enviroment/engine/uses/bad experience etc...etc....etc)

If fitting Electric buy them from a scrap yard for £5.00 each buy a spare incase you buy a dud, get the X-FAN kit to run it, and a temp light to make sure you know its working. Oh and don't bother with Kenlow (general feeling on here, overpriced and not that well built)....

Think that about covers it............tongue.gif

Jason.

Hurra - I'm with this guy! ;)

You did kinda start it - all this info is on the posts where people have stated their preferences before! :ph34r:

Granted, but I didn't start any arguments, my mind is already well set! FYI I was re-iterating it for new people to the forum too :P:)

Snapped a fan belt on my old TD once - only thing that got me home without the help of 'a very nice man' was the fact that cruising at 55 the viscous unit had enough oomph to drive the water pump! Temp didn't half rise on the 1 mile jaunt from the off slip to home though!

Having said that on the 200Tdi I run a Mondeo/X-fan set up, I just carry a spare fan belt ;)

Not sure where that puts me in the leccy/viscous debate, but definately wouldn't buy Kenlowe :ph34r:

D.