Angle Grinder Accident - Could Have Been Much Worse

I thought I would share with you all details of an accident I had last weekend, with the benefit of hindsight and some professional advice.

I was cutting up the frame of an old 1/2 ton trailer just to re-use some of the metal and junk the rest. While cutting through the 2" angle iron parts of the frame, approximately corresponding to where an axle would be, with a 10" Bosch angle grinder, the blade suddenly caught, threw the grinder out of the slot, glanced off another part of the frame and into my right thigh , resulting in a 6" long, 1" deep gash, a fair bit of blood, a trip to Gloucester A&E (they were brilliant) and 6 pretty heft stitches. I am currently convalescing for a few days.

I work for a shipbuilder and am very safety conscious, so did an accident assessment along the lines of what we would do at work.

Conclusions:

1. The blade caught because the part of the frame I was cutting was, unknown to me, in tension, like a bow. So when I completed the cut, the angle straightened itself out, catching the blade. The force of rotation and torque of the grinder threw the whole thing out, glanced off another part of the frame and my leg was then in the way. There was no obvious sign that the angle was in tension. This was the primary cause of the accident.

2. I was wearing the right personal protective equipment (PPE), including ear defenders, eye protection and safety boots except:

a) I was wearing welding gloves which I thought the best hand protection; my steelwork expert told me that welding gloves must only be used for welding and that I would have had much less grip than standard working gloves, I have yet to find out exactly what our glove PPE people specify for grinding and will post again when I do. Wearing the wrong gloves definitely meant I has less grip, contributing to losing control and was the secondary cause of the accident

b) I had on thick long shorts, rather than overalls; however, since the blade caught in the shorts (and boxers) and went straight through them, as it would with overalls, this did not contribute to the injury

c) I was not wearing a dust mask; while unwise even though I was working outside, this did not contribute to the injury.

3. I could probably have done the whole job, albeit more slowly, with my 4 1/2" angle grinder which would have been that much safer.

I should be back at work (as a manager rather than a proper-job steelworker), later this week.

All comments welcome, especially if they help avoid this happening to anyone else.

Regards

Richard

All the best for a speedy recovery.

I had a very similar thing happen to me last week with the 4.5" grinder and a 1mm cutting disc and some box section, I didn't get injured though thankfully.

I too learnt the hard way that an angle grinder can hurt although not involving a trip to A&E, one thing that I did take from it is although it's a pain always attach/use the handle, it's there for a reason, for when it does kick back.

Jason.

OK, Hopefully in the same dispassionate approach.

Gloves.

I accept in principle the expert point of view that welding gloves don't give you the best grip. Based on my Personal Experience you need something with a 'tacky' plastic coating on the fingers and palm.

Even though you endorse the experts view about the 'not very good grip', your accident description didn't give me the impression you lost grip of the grinder.

Rather you lost control, and were unable to keep the grinder in it's place, or even away from you, once it had been kicked out.

Do you feel that if you had used sufficient force on the grinder to hold it in position your hands would have slipped through lack of grip?

Side handle.

I endorse Jason's points about using the side handle, both the 'bother' of setting it up, and the extra control it gives.

Is there one? Was it fitted and in use?

Operator strength.

I recognise, because it applies to me, the qualification "work (as a manager rather than a proper-job ?????? worker)". Lack of regular daily use does mean we don't have the combined strength and dexterity that would build from regular use. These shortcomings put more emphasis on getting the side handle right, and using gloves with the most grip. I find using grippy gloves markedly reduces the muscle strain in my hands and arms, simply because I don't have to grip so hard.

Protective clothing.

I haven't done the detailed investigation, but I think I've seen that the Kevlar based protective trousers for chainsaw use are not as expensive as they once were. It might be worth investing in a pair to wear when getting out the 9/10 inch grinder,especially given the 'lack of strength' issue. These grinders are very powerful, as well as heavy. Once they start moving the wrong way there is a lot of momentum to control.

I understand the trousers work by melting and slowing / seizing the blade. It will be interesting to hear what your Expert says about the 'misuse' of safety gear. I'm assuming that if the operation (use of a grinder) isn't in the trouser specification then using them as protection with a grinder is 'misuse'.

Thanks for posting up, and I Hope This Helps.

Cutting a welded framework that is 'enclosed' is one of the most dangerous things to do with an angle grinder, as the welded joints put sections in compression or tension and you won't know which until it grabs....

A lucky escape indeed ;)

If I have to do this I try to cut most of the way through from one side and then finish the cut from the other side , effectively on the surface so the disc isn't buried in the cut, if its possible several cuts close to each other also reduces the risk of wheel nip.

A 9" grinder is a powerful tool so its always wise to think about where it will go if it jams/kicks back, much like a chainsaw.

Cheers

Steveb

Some useful reminders here. Thanks to the OP for being so open.

A word of warning concerning "cheap" grinders. I had a 4.5 inch "power devil" or something for £20 which jammed as described above. Holding onto it was not the problem, rather the casting holding the handle snapped and the thing shot off over my head, almost giving me a centre parting on the way. I was left holding the handle and a small piece of cheap aluminium casting! :ph34r:

Ouch!

Thoughts (with the full realisation that hindsight is easy): I second the point that thick welding gloves don't give great grip. David may have a point about it making little difference when something with that much power/momentum kicks. I would also add that thick welding gloves reduce feedback, so you may not be aware of problems so soon. The rubber coated gloves tend to disintegrate in a workshop environment. I find good leather rigger gloves work nicely, BOC's own brand are pretty decent.

Side handle - I'm a weakling so wouldn't use a 9" grinder without a side handle, but that's just me. I tend to avoid them anyway as 4.5" ones are more convenient and most jobs can be done as Steve says, but cutting round the piece rather than straight through. This method also allows you a bit more chance of seeing when a cut opens up or pinches so you can spot pieces under stress.

Chainsaw trousers - let's be honest, in most cases these would be overkill. I'm also not sure they would stop a grinder in a timely fashion. They work by the very fine kevlar strands being caught in the chain and drawn into the mechanism. I'm not sure if they'd be as effective at stopping a grinder.

Overalls - May not be totally useless. Following the suggestion of the chainsaw trousers, OK they're not going to stop a grinder but baggy fabric can catch grinders and wind up round the blade. Certainly the more layers between skin and blade the better.

Hateful term though it is, a risk assesment of the situation, as you've just done, is better off done before the event. I'm not suggetsing filling in forms in your garage. We don't always think things through, especially when working solo, but it's good to think twice about what you're doing at any given moment. What would an experienced colleague say if they were to walk in on the scene - would they be impressed, shocked, in hysterics?

Asking some of the questions that have been asked here could have made all the difference - if the grinder grabs, given the position you're working in, is it better to hold on for dear life, or let go and fling the thing across the room away from yourself? Is it better to cut round the piece or just make one big cut? If a part of your body is in the firing line, can you re-position or add some protection - lay some overalls over your leg, a leather apron, put a bit of metal in the way, etc.

Protective clothing.

I haven't done the detailed investigation, but I think I've seen that the Kevlar based protective trousers for chainsaw use are not as expensive as they once were. It might be worth investing in a pair to wear when getting out the 9/10 inch grinder,especially given the 'lack of strength' issue. These grinders are very powerful, as well as heavy. Once they start moving the wrong way there is a lot of momentum to control.

I understand the trousers work by melting and slowing / seizing the blade. It will be interesting to hear what your Expert says about the 'misuse' of safety gear. I'm assuming that if the operation (use of a grinder) isn't in the trouser specification then using them as protection with a grinder is 'misuse'.

Thanks for posting up, and I Hope This Helps.

I have chainsaw Bib & Brace but really don't think they would work with an angle grinder, as you say they work by the chain snagging the Kevlar clogging the blade and stopping it working therefore taking the sting out of the blade before it takes your leg off.

An angle grinder is not/very unlikely to snag and would go straight through the trousers and therefore they would actually give you a false sense of security when actually they add no extra safety.

Again as above with the gloves it is important to use the correct equipment for the job I have chainsaw gloves again with Kevlar padding which I only use for that, when grinding I use the gloves with the sticky pads on they are really cheap only £0.70 a pair and very useful.

The irony of these things is my chainsaw clothing cost more than my chainsaw but I would not be without it.

We often become complacent when it comes to personal safety, are quick to mock H&S Law and risk assessments, not putting safety glasses on etc and only learning when it’s too late....

Other things to remember when using an angle grinder are:

· Always use an RCD/ensure your MCB is fitted with a full RCD

· Shoulder the cable, and make sure it is not in the way, can’t fall in the way.

· Make sure nothing is going to fall on you/Spring into you.

· Don’t use a grinder in a confined space where you can’t see what you are doing and are not in full control.

· Always have full control use two hands.

· Use the correct blade.

· Always wear PPE including boots and a long sleeve top that is flame retardant.

· Blades do break/shatter, consider a full face shield.

Jason.

I think your review is fair and accurate and that you were at worst unfortuate given your preparation for the task.

The only thing I would add is "Stay out of the Golden Triangle" when using implements that can cut. The golden triangle being from groin to knee, to knee, to groin.

I think you are quite lucky not to be dead. No exaggeration - if you had nicked your femoral artery (which from your description you were pretty close to doing) you would have been extremly lucky to survive.

At the end of the day, a happy ending. :)

Also, thanks for taking the time to present this so others can hopefully learn from your experience.

The irony of these things is my chainsaw clothing cost more than my chainsaw but I would not be without it.

true - although you can't put a price on personal safety, especially where limbs are concerned (or any other vital body component)

a very lucky escape from the sound of it - glad you're ok

Probably the most stupid thing I ever did was with an angle grinder. A friend of mine picked up an old Wolf grinder and came round to ask me to check if it worked ok. We went down the shed and I fitted a pug to it. There was a half worn grinding disc on it, and no guard. The disc was clearly fractured and I tried to remove the locking collar, but it wouldn't budge, so like an idiot I held it at arms length and pressed the switch. The disc immediateley burst - one piece of it hitting my friend just above the eye and cutting him. Other bits of the disc hit my left hand - removing all the skin frrom the knuckle of my left index finger to the first joint and splitting the tendon (which was clearly visible), it's entire length. Middle finger knuckle was 'capped', and I could see the knuckle joint. There was also a deep cut from the base of my index finger across to the base of my middle finger. Then the blood flowed and the pain came, which was pretty bad. Several visits to the hospital/infections/pain/weeks off work resulted from that act of stupidity. I also wasn't wearing any PPS. I now have a wide selection of protective gloves, various eye protection, full face shield, etc, etc. Sometimes you learn the hard and painful way.

Chainsaw bib and brace will not stop an angle grinder unless you get lucky and the ballistic nylon strands wrap the disc and stop it, but it's highly unlikely.

They say that a chainsaw is the most dangerous hand tool, but a grinder must come a very close 2nd.

Les.

I now have a nice scar about 2-1/2 inches long on my left hand going from just above the web of my hand towards the wrist-from a 4 inch angle grinder and a wire cup brush, I was removing NATO green paint from my hard top side panel with a steam cleaner which most of it came off with using it, Then I took the angle grinder to it and started using that to remove what was left, However it bit into the panel and via my hand onto the floor through my glove(yes I was also wearing welding gloves) It smarted a fair bit :blink: I still had to clean off the remaining paint off of it so I covered it over with kitchen towel and carried on,never again will I do that with a angle grinder!

Daft but true

John

T_45814.jpg

That looks similar to the wood carving disc I had - called an Arbortech I think - which I stopped using after cutting 1/3rd of the way through my right little finger top joint, like les I had exposed joint and mostly cut through ligaments and its now permanently bent ...

I cut the carving wheel in half and threw it in the scrap ...when I was well enough to hold a grinder ( read got over the shock for that..)

Flap wheels can do some damage too..

Older :) and hopefully wiser :rolleyes:

Steveb

Me, personally, I would not use a large grinder like that for cutting. The probability of kick is too high and it is very hard if not impossible to stop a kick on a large angle grinder at least for the average person. Grab the oxy for the cutting and leave the grinder for grinding it clean afterwards.

it's funny, I've been helping a young kid build his truck recently and it's like looking at myself 10-15years ago. He pulls out his grinder, no guard, no eye protection and a 1mm fine cut disc. I've now shown him the way and explained exactly why from my various trips to A&E and reduced hearing he shouldn't make the same mistakes as me :)

just personal experience, when grinding I keep one hand over the power switch, all my grinders have push to stop buttons, I now hold it in such a way if it kicks or binds my hand knocks it off straight away.

On a slightly different note: When ever I wear eye protection, they always suffer from steaming up after a while, reducing my vision to almost zero. Anyone got any bright ideas for this?

Daan

Nasty accident.

Thank you for sharing it and looking at the risk assessment too. It should serve as a good warning and reminder to all of us who use any potentially dangerous equipment.

As a teacher I am forever going through H&S with my students in the workshop and the machine shop.

I am fortunate to have not suffered any accidents like this, come close once or twice though.

I put this down to seeing too many of them as a kid.

I once saw a carpenter cut his thumb off with a big circular saw, right in front of me, when I was about 8 years old. Another time going to school I stopped to watch a builder with a petrol disc cutter cutting a paving slab. His mate was standing on the corners of the slab, in front, to hold it steady. The disc caught and shot the whole cutter forwards and upwards. I didn't hang around to see what a man looks like split from the crotch upwards but I don't think he lived.

When I am working, or teaching, I am forever checking for what might go wrong, where the blade (or other dangerous bits) might go, what happens if.... to the point that sometimes I just get a different tool or ask someone with more experience to do it for me and show me how to do it correctly. Or I revert back to non powered hand tools.

On a slightly different note: When ever I wear eye protection, they always suffer from steaming up after a while, reducing my vision to almost zero. Anyone got any bright ideas for this?

Daan

Whilst Ross is correct you can get anti fog spray, the best way to stop this happening is to get better fitting glasses, there are lots of shapes and sizes of glasses these days, so find some that fit you correctly and are close fitting.

If fogging happens when you wear a mask, then the mask needs to fit better!! I have prescription safety glasses these days which are close fitting wrap around as I use Chemicals, but I will also use a face shield as polycarb glasses can melt from sparks etc, and at £60 for the glasses I don't want to melt them.... it also protects my whole face and the polycarb bit is not expensive to change so it give me good vision.

140863.jpg