Im going to build a new TDV6 3.0L Defender, need ideas.

As a lot of you know i built the first 2.7L TDV6 defender as a challange car as a mini project 18 months or so agao, well im now nearly ready to start to build a new defender using the new TDV6 3.0L from the D4/RRS 2010.

Im thinking possibily down the lines of a 110 or possibily a 130 and building a overland type car with duel fuel tanks, water tanks etc etc only because the challange car i built has got a limited aftersale market and untimatly this build will also eventually end up getting sold on.

So ideal welcome :)

Below is my donor TDV6 3.0L engine.

Pete

post-4125-064682700 1293565548_thumb.jpg

Why would that wiring frighten you???

If you look on other forums there are numourous expeds going to Tunisia/Morocco/N Africa and taking D3/D4/FFRR/RRS. As long as you don't kick the arse out of anything you should be fine

I would also put my vote to a 130. :D

Search a chap on here and pirate called oilworker he has a immaculate 130 equipped with tibus portal axles .I reckon something along those lines could be desirable

You mean this one?

3830888.jpg

But, as you'll no doubt agree, there isn't much that is fixable in the field is there? Hardly follows the KISS mantra. Each to their own though

I thought the idea with over-landers was to leave the vehicle's wiring standard, install a 2nd battery and split charge, and run all the toys/extras off that. In other words keeping the essentials exactly as per the LR wiring diagram (and draw an accurate diagram of the 'bolt ons'). If you do wiring properly, it should have a high degree of reliability; if you're struggling with loose connections and the like half way across the wild wherethefakarwee plains of Africa you haven't prepped your vehicle properly, IMHO. Fail to prepare, prepare to fail etc.

Anyhoo, rant over.

Another vote for a 110 SW or double cab. 130s are great for overlanders etc but I suspect you'll have a broader 'domestic market' appeal with a 110.

I thought the idea with over-landers was to leave the vehicle's wiring standard, install a 2nd battery and split charge, and run all the toys/extras off that. In other words keeping the essentials exactly as per the LR wiring diagram (and draw an accurate diagram of the 'bolt ons'). If you do wiring properly, it should have a high degree of reliability; if you're struggling with loose connections and the like half way across the wild wherethefakarwee plains of Africa you haven't prepped your vehicle properly, IMHO. Fail to prepare, prepare to fail etc.

Defender+TDV6= pretty non standard wiring.

However I agree with you on the SW or double cab 110

How much would it sell for? If within budget, a 130 please...

- extra tanks,

- Airco but retained front flaps

- flat floor in cab,

- Masai roof lights or tropical roof,

- Utility rear box

Oh, and VAT-less, as export to EU to VAT registered company...

I would build it up as a luxury 110, not chaved up, just optimised for the Country gent who needs to drive on the motorway. I agree with the previous poster on the overland idea. I would want to make sure that my overland vehicle was as mechanically similar to standard as possible to avoid parts problems or confusion when at the back of beyond.

As an overland vehicle with a TDV6 and built up with a lot of other o/land kit, the market will be similar to your challenge truck , as you will be looking for the sort of person that goes and buys a new unimog and has it built up by a german campervan firm (mentioning no names) . Majority of overlanders are on a limited budget and looking for simplicity rather than huge power and speed compared with 300 tdi.

I have a 3.9i V8 in my "overland " 110 but most travellers that I met thought it mad, but i could not face the power to weight ratio of a small 4cyl diesel dragging 3.5 tonnes+ thru sand /mud etc.

I think you need to aim for the guys who buy a new 110 puma and load it with accessories they will never use. rushing up and down motorways , there seems to be quite a lot of them , and increasing . JMHO

ps if petrol keeps going the way it is I am thinking of putting a TDV6 to replace the V8 myself

A thing of Beauty! :D

Pete, As you have already done a 2.7 I presume the process will be similar in terms of electrics?

For us curious types walking a higher path (200TDi with a 12v supply to the fuel solenoid and thats it :P )how do you overcome the complexities of all the inputs for the various sensors?

I presume there are no dummy plugs or emulators that can be fitted to fool the system into thinking all is good?

Mores the point wheres the piccies of the 2.7 youve already done! :D

It would be great to follow a blog of the build(s) if you havent already done so......

All the best

Grant