K & N Filter

I Have one in my truck, I didn't buy it, it was already fitted, relatively easy to clean and re oil but probably not as easy as just fitting a new filter! as far as performance i cant see there being much of a difference, dont think they reduce the blockage significantly.

Mocha

As someone said to me when i queried Hi-Clones and K&Ns:

"Really, even if they do give you an extra couple of horsepower, what difference is that going to make to the performance of a two tonne vehicle that's as aerodynamic as a brick?!"

I use standard filters too...

I think K&Ns may have their place in 'performance' street cars (the sort you see outside Halfords on a Saturday), but for a Land Rover they're not worth it in my opinion. Especially if it's used in a dirty environment (ie. off road) as you'll want all the filtering you can get in that case.

One advantage they do carry is the ability to clean and re-oil them, if you were going on a long trip for example you could take one filter and a cleaning kit, rather than four filters etc.

I use a K&N on mine with an Outerwear cover, as supplied and specified by the engine builder. They shouldn't be used on any engine that relies on a "hotwire" air flow meter (TD5, some V8s) because the oil from the filter can contaminate the wire.

They give better performance, especially improved torque, by allowing more air through than a paper filter, the "downside" of that is they also allow more dust through, especially if they've not been oiled properly (many of them are never oiled at all).

On a standard engine with a perfectly good air filter box ? I'd stick with the standard paper filter myself. The K&N is a LOT easier to fit into a custom engine installation though and is waterproof - I've had paper filters suffocate my engine when they've got a bit damp.

Maybe you can get away with a K&N non-filter in the UK where there is very little dust in the air, but don't try it in hot countries with dust in the air like South Africa. This is what happened to my engine after 80k kms (about 50k miles) with a K&N. It would have been worse if I hadn't had a Mantec taking some of the dust out. Stick to the paper filters (as I have since with no problems at all). Oh, and I had the genuine K&N filter cleaner and the oil, both used at the recommended intervals.

IMAGE016Small.jpg

i use the k&n.

My landie sees 99.9% highway driving. it does give a better air flow, less restriction.

i have to agree it did ruin my MAF sensor as the oil from the filter got on it and the sensor didn't work. that cost me over 100 bucks to replace.

so my take, i just clean out the filter without oiling it. if you have not change, just stick with the standard filter, if you do change it and you are not in dusty environment, do what i've done for mine.

Well, at the risk of sounding contraversial, I rated mine.

I fitted it to the 300Tdi Disco I had, I decatted the exhaust and made it straight through at the same time.

The combination of all three made quite a difference to the driveablity of it with the larger mud tyres on.

The turbo spun up faster and there was noticeably more power.

I'll be doing the same on the 90.

I also have a K&N,which was fitted before I owned it...after reading the above,I'll be changing it over for a paper one tomorrow.For a few extra miserable horses,it simply isn't worth it.As old & wrinkly says,if LR found K&N were better,they would be fitted as standard. :)

I also have a K&N,which was fitted before I owned it...after reading the above,I'll be changing it over for a paper one tomorrow.For a few extra miserable horses,it simply isn't worth it.As old & wrinkly says,if LR found K&N were better,they would be fitted as standard. :)

If it's for a 200Tdi - do you want to sell it ?

Well, at the risk of sounding contraversial, I rated mine.

I fitted it to the 300Tdi Disco I had, I decatted the exhaust and made it straight through at the same time.

The combination of all three made quite a difference to the driveablity of it with the larger mud tyres on.

The turbo spun up faster and there was noticeably more power.

I'll be doing the same on the 90.

Next time I suggest you just do the exhaust (de-cat & straight through), and try it with the standard filter in place.

I suspect that much of the problem with K&N filters' reduced dust extraction is that they dry up. I have one fitted on my 109. It made a small but definite difference to the 12J NAD engine I had in there, using the 12J/19J style filter housing. I still have it in with my 200Tdi, and it must make even more difference with that.

However, I have two small advantages that would otherwise see me fitting OEM paper filters.

Firstly, I have a Mantec snorkel with centrifugal top which removes much of the dust from the intake point. Secondly, the retrofit nature of the engine installation and the mods required to fit a snorkel required the use of the 19J duct adaptor to fit the snorkel's hose to the filter housing, and that adaptor also takes the hose from the breather unit, so the filter is continually being refreshed by the oil vapours from the breather system.

This means that my filter is kept lightly oiled, while the vertical mounting of the filter allows excess oil to pool at the bottom of the housing and be drained through the valve and drain pipe I installed. 19Js tended to suffer badly from filter contamination and collapse, but the K&N doesn't suffer in this manner (admittedly, the Tdi doesn't breathe as heavily anyway).

So, K&N filters may be a bad choice for some applications, but a good choice for others...