Reducing power / suck of a vacuum cleaner

:rofl:

Right then

I have just bought a s/h shot blaster unit, modfied to have more capacity,

and it has a purpose made "Hole" in the back where an extractor unit can be fitted

so as to aid with being able to see something when in action :moglite:

Que the Q

I have bought a s/h cylinder vacuum to act as my extractor, this is adjustable in power

and was ferkin cheap, but, amazingly even at the lowest setting it would suck the stone out of an avacado

at 4000 yards :blink: I have visions of the grit coming out of the nozzle missing the item to

be blasted and the "Full Bag" light coming on seconds later :rofl:

So, I have thought about shoving a bung in the output so as to reduce the suck, but then thought "Ask the forum"

so I am :)

Ideas ? (cheaper the better too :) )

Hole in back of Shotblaster is about 1.5" which is about the same as the hose :)

Nige

Ah, for the shot blaster ...................... I see.

People do get taken into A&E after "accidents" with vacuum cleaners y'know Nige. Given your track record I'd be wary of a trip to A&E and your photo in the News of the World :ph34r:

Just trying to help ;)

Mo

From one owner of a shot blast cabinet to another, don't for one moment use the vacuum cleaner bag to collect 'dirt'. The particles of dust and rust are so fine that the bag (which acts as a filter) will be blocked inside a minute or two.

Remove the bag and any other filters you find from the Vacuum Cleaner. Connect the air outlet from the vacuum cleaner via a tumble drier vent kit, or similar, to a hole in the wall of the garage, preferably at a low level, and even better, outside the garage duct the dirty air into a water filled trough or bucket. This will silence the noise of the air flow and stop the dust causing a nuisance.

To get the best visibility you want the maximum airflow you can get, via the Vacuum Cleaner. You do not want to restrict it or degrade the flow through leak holes.

At the blast cabinet, make sure you have a fresh air inlet hole about twice the area of your exit hole. Try to arrange the relative positions of these holes so fresh air is drawn over the inner face of the viewing pane on it's way to the exit hole.

Place baffle plates over both holes so grit (which is relatively heavy), cannot get directly to the holes. These baffles could be 90 or 135 degree bends from a waste pipe system.

If you have an internal work table (mesh grid) in your blast cabinet make sure your exit hole is below the grid, as this pulls the dust downwards away from the viewing pane and work piece.

If you don't have a work table then consider making one, even if it's just a bit of weldmesh resting at an angle on the floor and back wall.

HTH, and have fun.

How about a dimmer switch wired into the vacuum cleaner?

Should give you more or less infinite control.

(It'll only work on a 'universal' electric motor, so you might want to check that first. I'd be surprised if anything else was fitted though!)

This is a very good idea in principle, though I'm not sure you can get dimmer switches rated to 1-2kW, which is what most universal motors will be in a reasonable sized vacuum. As you have suggested electronically commutated motors are pretty rare in vacuums, but a dimmer would wreak havoc with the inverter for a brushless motor.

Buy a Dyson :blink: within hours of purchase it will become the worst sucking most expensive mis-sold piece of cack you own :ph34r:

that feels better :)

What type of dyson ya got? had a problem with the animal one in our house and managed to sort it myself :)

after phoneing the help line about five million times to be told it seemed fine over the phone and all they could do was send an someone out to service it and check it over :P

nigel

look at a real booth and you will see a very simple cone vortex type unit. suction at one side on top comes in thru a baffle creating a vortex. inlet adjacent but pointing away so inlet stream runs round top of cone but heavy stuff drops down to be collected in base. will see if i can find some old piccies

tony

^^^

How does this work ??

Thansk for ALL the replies, some interesting stuff to mull over :)

Nige

It's just a slot in the main tube, there's then a rotatable collar with a matching hole in it, simply twist to change the size of the slot. Not sure why they call it a volume control?? But works very well

I was hoping / afraid this was going to be another of those HFH 'accidents'!

"I was hoovering while naked and .........." kind of thing! :ph34r:

What make of Vacuum is it? I'd like something uber-sucky to hoover up the swarf in my Lathe. Better still if it has a spring loaded cord recoil - I'd like one for the eleccy Freelander so the charging cord zips back inside the grille.

Si

Do you now? I have two friends that work for Dyson too. A zebra painted hybrid ring any bells?

Not noticed one in the car park, but it is a bloody big car park. Although I'm sure I would have spotted such a machine if it was about. There a quite a few defenders, modified discos and the odd series knocking around, but I suppose it's not surprising given the rural location.