Arc welder

royaub

Hi all

As most of you here will know, especially if you have a landrover that is over 15 years old, that welding can be expensive. So I've decided to have a go myself. I'm thinking of buying an ARC welder. The reason for this is the cost and my father has some experience with ARC welding.

Trouble is I don't know what sort of ampage/voltage would be suitable.

One thing we have to take into account is that money is tight at the moment so I'm looking for something that will do the job without breaking the bank.

Has anybody got any experience with ARC welders and can advise me on what to get?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks Roy.

Personally i would go for mig as well as it is much easier to use for landrover patching. Arc welding is very good for heavy duty use and is relativley easy to do especially with something flat in the vise, Personally i find it a pain to do vertical welds with. I have only tried once to do a patch on a landy with arc got fed up and used my mates mig. Mig is much easier for using whilst laying under your landy. As a footnote i spend an average of 20 hours a week minimum welding up Landrovers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try to find a secondhand oxford. As stated above a much higher skill level is required, that said as the material is only thin down ward vertical welding is acceptable. A advantage with arc is being able to get into tight and blind positions and wind if working outside is not a problem Dont be tempted by cheap rods , oerlikon is my favorite multi position rod.

Another vote for MIG. I scratched around with a stick-machine for years until I saw the light and coughed up for a MAG-Mate from BOC. Much more versatile, you can do exhaust pipe and steel panel work. Easier to use than a stick-machine too.

Ray.

like most of you im gonna just learn myself. did arc at school so was going to go down that route but now going for mig. my question is with all the varying priced migs from 100 upwards what properties should i be considering when selecting one.

I'd recommend somthing with a genuine Binzel handpiece on at least a 3m cable, duty cycle around 60% or better at max current, up to 180 amps, that'll do 0.6 to 8.0mm jobs, does both gas or gasless. Nice to have infinate voltage and inductance controls. Here in NZ, a reputable brand machine is around $1000. That's about 500 of your real, actual, genuine British pounds. Plenty of no-name ones to be had for half that on our local version of Flea-bay, but "ya gets what ya pays for..." Caveat emptor.

Ray.

Thanks for the info i think i will be geting one of these Clarke MIG195TEC Welder My link

Roy

You will need a 16amp feed and blue plug for that on higher powers, i stuck with a 151TE as you can run all powers on 13amp socket. its also half the price of the one you are looking at which will only do 7mm, 1mm more than the 151te.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/151te-turbo-mig-welder/path/diy-mig-welders

for £600 I'd forget clarke and buy a portamig http://www.weldequip.com/portamig-mig-welders.htm

much better job, as others have said get a decent auto dimming helmet, starparts or parweld for £40-50, some long gloves, and gas.

edit: the portmamig will do 15amp minimum which is useful on thin (read rotted) metal, your clarke 195 will only do 30amp min.

Pete

and some ear defenders... not cos its loud, but you will understand why when you get a blob of molten weld drop in your lug-hole.

personally i like my arc welder for everything other than really thin upside down welding, i dont know why - i just find it much more satisfying and easier to weld arc. I also use a welding rod guide, so i can more accurately control the rod gap and movement when using a new (and hence long) stick.

ive had an ARC welder for years, but you cant weld chassis' with them too well as they tend to like removing steel on thin chassis'

ive welded a couple of brackets onto my chassis with arc, and done some upside down arc welding (with upside down rods), and while im rather good on the flat and not too bad vertical, its very drippy looing even with the right rods.

MIG welding is much better however i still need to improve my MIG skills :)

Too right - that's an awful feeling :(

Les.

The funny thing is you can smell it burning, even though it's in your ear :) Put some rubber bands on the sleeve cuffs of your overalls and turn them back over the bands, that'll stop spatter going down your sleeve - the elbow can only take so many burns. And buy some spare bootlaces too, that's what the burning smell will be when you can't find any obvious source :)

HTH

Mo

ive had an ARC welder for years, but you cant weld chassis' with them too well as they tend to like removing steel on thin chassis'

ive welded a couple of brackets onto my chassis with arc, and done some upside down arc welding (with upside down rods), and while im rather good on the flat and not too bad vertical, its very drippy looing even with the right rods.

MIG welding is much better however i still need to improve my MIG skills :)

mig welding is not better it is easier,hence critical jobs are still speced arc only

You're right MIG is not better than arc but it is a lot easier and as ARC puts a hell of a lot of heat into your weld it's not the best for in situ welding as distortion or thermic lance type operation is only seconds away.

Mig is always a bit ugly cos it's not so well controlled hence the joy of spatter but it is fairly foolproof.

personally i would only use stick on >10mm plate and TIG on <1mm hence i have a fairly underpowered clarke 105 MIG set. I reckon if i can't do it with my set then it's gonna be structural and i shouldn't be playing around. Just a thought

You're right MIG is not better than arc but it is a lot easier and as ARC puts a hell of a lot of heat into your weld it's not the best for in situ welding as distortion or thermic lance type operation is only seconds away.

Mig is always a bit ugly cos it's not so well controlled hence the joy of spatter but it is fairly foolproof.

personally i would only use stick on >10mm plate and TIG on <1mm hence i have a fairly underpowered clarke 105 MIG set. I reckon if i can't do it with my set then it's gonna be structural and i shouldn't be playing around. Just a thought

4mm plate can be successfully welded with an arc welder,2.5mm rod at around 60 amps,having the right rod is important too.one of the test pieces i did at colege was a single v butt weld on six mm plate,that was a root with a cap on top.

16 to 10 gauge is quite easy to weld with arc, and very quick so heat build up is not a issue. With tig you can go as thick or thin as you like, with critical welds I use tig root instead of a low hyd rod which can be on some very thick plate. As for in situ welding arc is excellent due to the weld electrode being thin and plyable therefore easy to get into places.