Worst Piece Of LR Design

stuck

Rear crossmembers - C hrissyboy and I got divorced because of them :(

Les :ph34r:

Its alright Les - according to his posts on LRO, CB (or Dougal as he otherwise seems to be known) seems to be obsessed with worms and rectal itching these days, so you are well out of that relationship! :lol:

I bought my first Land Rover 32 years ago and have been buying/collecting them ever since. I currently have 7 on the road between home and work and the kids have another 4, fortunately they have never broken down, I do not have any spanners or knowledge of how to repair them :ph34r: and all my lies are true ;) .

For me it's that bloody door catch which rips the back pocket off my levis everytime I forget and jump in willy nilly.

For me it's that bloody door catch which rips the back pocket off my levis everytime I forget and jump in willy nilly.

Before I discovered you could just sand the lip off, I made one out of a bit of bar bent in to a U shape welded to a plate - which was pretty good at not ripping the belt loops off my trousers. Perhaps someone could turn it into a product!

Si

Before I discovered you could just sand the lip off, I made one out of a bit of bar bent in to a U shape welded to a plate - which was pretty good at not ripping the belt loops off my trousers. Perhaps someone could turn it into a product!

Si

I'll have a look at that this weekend, I have been left hanging by my belt hoop on more than one occasion now! Of course it only ever happens when others are watching so as to make you look a right t!t !

The mud traps.

Gotta be the mud traps.

Most other things you can live with, as it's an offroader foremost.

But the mud traps all over the place, inexcusable.

G.

I would say their design is pretty excellent. :rolleyes::lol:

the vast variety of bolt types you find on the same vehicle- a stage 1 v8 was the worst for this- had metric and imperial interspersed all over the place- oh and the fact that none of the bolts are fine thread so rust ridiculously quickly!

I'm not sure that is necessarily the cause.

going to get in trouble for this- but its very rare to find a siezed thread on the cruiser and thats a 1993 vehicle. All of the bolts are pssivated fine thread M6, M8 or other metric with 12mm, 14mm and 17mm heads.

is it down to thread, quality of metal, finishing, or something else?

My money would be on quality of metal.

I agree I find less siezed bolts on Jap stuff, but then I dont suppose they get out in the field as often as LRs, which are bought as utility vehicles from the word go, LCs tend to be shopping carts for the first few years of their lives...

Another one is the clutch master cylinder on a Freelander 1 - sure you can remove it without removing the whole dash - but you need arms like Mr Tickle to bend round the multitude of corners! Maybe it's just me?

Si

- The use of screws instead of proper bolts. Try to hold a screw with a srewdriver when the thread is rusted and you're undoing the nut..

- Positioning of series 3 clutch slave cylinder... try to get the bolts in... and bleed it afterwards when the bleed nipple sits BEHIND the steel line....

- Series 2a clutch mechanism with pivots and all..... just way too many components..

- RRC under scuttle design..... that's just one big watertrap under there. Include the drainlines too from the sunroof that exit there and rust the hell out of everything down there.

- Freelander driveline.....

- Chassis rear crossmembers... why on earth are the drainholes not even at the lowest point?

- Door seals on even brand new defenders.... is it that hard to glue them in place so they don't get caught between the door latch all the time?

- 2.5TD engine

- TD5 injector loom

- TD5 oil pump drive

- Series transfer box.... why on earth make it neccessary to STOP to take it out of 4wd?

- Weak axles

- Series front seats.... how handy that when you slide them back and forth the seatback adjusts at the same time..... (thankfully I've got defender seats now)

- All the electronics on old and new..

There's more I'm pretty sure... I also left out some other ones that have already been mentioned ;)

just a quick note, all those having trouble with the clutch bleed on series and some defenders, cut an old ring spanner down till it's about 2 inches long. very easy job then :) (yes the design is carp)

my personal favourite the 200tdi defender down pipe clamping to the block, every single one I have come across has never been put back together as it's such a bitch to get the front bolt in!!

and the rear cross member is way to complex and a giant mud trap, along with the stupid holes in the out riggers.... I could go on but everyone has covered it I think :)

Right chaps,

No matter which flavour of LR you have what is the worst piece of design on it?

I'll start with the wiring loom on a '99 Defender where it passes under the steering column under the dash, absolutely impossible to trace individual wires :angry:

The fact that your chassis isn't galvanised is not allowed!

Surely it has to be that O-ring on the Tx box intermediate shaft ?!

And the brake vacuum pump on the TDi. Look at it and it starts to leak

Changing the 300TDi cambelt takes about 4 hours if you're lucky. On my son's Ford LDV it takes 20 minutes

Putting the clevis pin through the cluth pedal and clutch slave cylinder fork on D1

I still love the Disco to bits though ! ;)

Just thought of another one....

Coiler front axles and their diff that point upwards with subsequent weird driveshaft geometry :ph34r:. If you're so desperate to have a trackrod behind the axle than do as Toyota did. Fit a high-pinion diff and have the trackrod actually BEHIND the axle instead of below....