Flex plate - what causes them to fail?

GBMUD

microcat only shows the one adaptor plate for both Tdi engines when auto trans is fitted to those engines, so Yes to the 200tdi needing the 2 hollow dowels. [diagram is the same as in the link above, dowels have the same part number, as far as I can tell]

oh.......guess what i'm doing at the weekend :ph34r:

Putting your mind at rest so you don't spend every minute of driving your Land Rover wondering if your flex plate is about to die. I think it's well worth the few hours of work to check .... probably quicker than waiting for the recovery truck to ;)

Could you not just ease it back a little way and have a peep rather than the the full monty 'take apart'?

Thats what I'm hoping is possible :glare: , given its like it is, its a lot easier to look at it now than worry about it :unsure:

could do with confirmation of exactly which studs i'm checking on the 200 plate though ?

Not the best pic but all I can find....

Edited - Cause I'm a muppet and posted the wrong pic

Ta ! :i-m_so_happy:

Edited by Les Brock

Les

I refer you to the Microcat diagram at lrparts.ru There is an english option, use IE as it does not work properly in Chrome. Select Discovery 1, gearbox, automatic ZF and then the picture of the adapter. IIRC this is the 200Tdi setup shown as it certainly differs from the 300Tdi setup! On mine the dowel studs are at about 3 and 9 o'clock positions, I assume yours is the same.

HTSH

Chris

Thought we were talking about auto!! the 200Tdi manual clutch housing (on the left) has the two dowels at 9.00 and 3.00 and does not have dowels between the clutch housing and the gearbox bell housing as the ID of the clutch housing is machined to form a register for the gearbox bell housing .

The missing dowels in the original thread relate to Auto set up which uses a different engine back plate.

Hope this helps. Regards Ian

Hi This is a, :rtfm: WEALTH WARNING, if you are pulling the engine forward be sure to clamp the TC in place before it can move out of engagement with the pump, if it slips forward by 3 or 4 mm it is very easy to break the pump gears on re-assembly and if you pull it out completely you are trouble as you will most likely have to remove the gearbox to re-seat it. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!. good luck Ian Ashcroft

I would definitely have arsed this up without guidance so thanks! I got it in to 12mm easily, enough for it to stay parallel to the bell housing but it would not go any further. It took a fair bit of fiddling about to get it right in to 18mm - the correct figure for a 748 as the original receipt describes it - but then it just popped in. The front of the box is jacked up as high as it will go on the car, now if it will only stay put...

Just waiting for the postman now, assuming he has the bits.

Chris

Les

I refer you to the Microcat diagram at lrparts.ru There is an english option, use IE as it does not work properly in Chrome. Select Discovery 1, gearbox, automatic ZF and then the picture of the adapter. IIRC this is the 200Tdi setup shown as it certainly differs from the 300Tdi setup! On mine the dowel studs are at about 3 and 9 o'clock positions, I assume yours is the same.

HTSH

Chris

works on Chrome for me. you can enable chrome to auto translate it too.

Hi Ian

yes we are.... my mistake, I cannot find a pic of the 200Tdi Auto adaptor plate, which I was asking about, to see if it had the same alignment issue ?

Sorry Chris taking over your thread :blush:

Regards

Les

From what I see in Microcat (pic attached): yes. Number 9 is a dowel.

post-18506-0-01601900-1321029017_thumb.png

I would definitely have arsed this up without guidance so thanks! I got it in to 12mm easily, enough for it to stay parallel to the bell housing but it would not go any further. It took a fair bit of fiddling about to get it right in to 18mm - the correct figure for a 748 as the original receipt describes it - but then it just popped in. The front of the box is jacked up as high as it will go on the car, now if it will only stay put...

Just waiting for the postman now, assuming he has the bits.

Chris

To keep the TC in place... Drill two 3mm holes in the bell housing at 3 and 9 o'clock slightly back from the face of the TC. Thread some strong wire across and secure, this will hold the TC in place untill the engine/box are back together. There is then enough clearance between the TC and flex plate to pull the wire out before bolting the TC to the flex plate. Then fill the two holes with silicone sealer.

Well, the postman delivered yesterday, the engine is back in, I have spent ages looking for the keys (which turned out to be in the passenger seat under all my tools!), it starts and sounds fine, I have turned the car around, cleared up and will shortly proceed for a test drive...

Thanks everyone for the support, answers, guesses and suggestions.

Wish me luck!

Chris

Well, 70 miles done on A-roads and all seems well. I need to investigate the cause of a lot of turbo whistle but that is about it - I suspect that the exhaust downpipe needs looking at as there is no gasket present...

Cheers

Chris

Great that it is fixed and the probable cause identified and logged for future reference. In many ways am glad it happened though as the laning trip in the 110 was no doubt far more comfortable for me in the 110 (despite injection problems and irate farmers) than it would have been in the 90..............lol :hysterical:

Glad you found a cause in the end, would have been frustrating to say the least if you had changed the flex plate without finding the cause only to have to do it all again...and again... and again. Was nice to see all the wisdom coming out to, there seem to be a fair few bits on an auto setup that if you do wrong will cost you a lot of money :blink:

Of course now you are going to be tripping over an engine crane all the time, no matter how small they fold up they are still in the way :)