Could be deemed OT - But its Not - Internet / email range query

Hybrid_From_Hell

Righty Ho

I have internet PC in the house, and in the workshop I now have a stonking Quad core PC given to me which is really dedicated to Megasquirt Logging

Programming and tuning :D

Prob today was a Prob megasquirt ECU and software issue that had me going up and down to the house with a pen stick to send and recive

emails questions, MSQ files XLS logs and Firmware files, after about 4 hours of this, and 30+ trips I felt I was running a marathon in 300 foot units :(

So, What I wnat is Internet on the workshop PC

Workshop is 300 Foot away

Has mains power

PC in house is a quad core "Thing" similar to one given in workshop

Home one has a Netgear Router plugged into it

Sues Laptop is connected to the router via secured Wi-Fi, but signal is hopless downstiars let alone 300 foot away

I cannot run a Internet cable to workshop - forget that idea !

So how could I do this ? / Options (are there any ? :lol: )

What would I need ?

Likley costs ?

Keep it simple - think that you are explaining this to a 15 no - 8 year old :D

Thanks in advance :D

See, just about LR Based :D

Nige

For 300 feet I'd go for Cat5e or even Cat6 if you can get it cheap enough, depending on the quality of the cabling you're getting it might be a stretch for Cat5. The power-plugs are good so long as the power wiring is good from the house to the workshop (don't see any reason why it shouldn't be), they don't like things like daisy-chained extension leads etc. as it messes up the signal.

Failing those, a pair of directional WiFi antennas would probably give you the range you'd need if you had line-of-sight. Put 'Pringles Can Antenna' or 'Cantenna' into Google for a laugh :)

Or, if it's only for very occasional use, a 3G dongle for the PC with a pay-and-go sim in it would be another way.

If you don't want to go with cable or homeplug then you could always use a point-to-point wifi solution, an antenna on the side of the house and an antenna on the side of the garage (assuming you have LOS) should be enough

Probably more expensive but saves running cable, you can bring the cost down by home-brewing some of the components and trawling ebay etc.

two of something akin to this;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-WLAN-WiFi-Outdoor-Antenna-RWANT-2412-12db-70-/160675063700?pt=UK_Computing_Networking_SM&hash=item2568fae794#ht_1089wt_952

plus some cables, a router and a wifi bridge all of which can be bought cheap second hand as everyone wants super fast these days. The trick to reliable long distance isn't wringing every last bit of speed out of it.

Um, what? :huh:

Exactly?

PP for a cable? Are you crossing someone else's land or summat? I used to run ~400ft (beyond Cat5 specs!) of Cat5 cable tied to a chain link fence, worked fine for years, and still is AFAIK (I left where it was...)

Can you move the router within the house? Even something as simple as moving it from the desk to the windowsill or the floor to a desk can make a massive difference without affecting SWMBO's WiFi connection or any wired connection in the house.

Chris

Ta Chris Tried that - too far me guess - AND I got moaned at

"How long is that thing going to be on the bedroom windowsill - blah balh ...seems that land rovers take over not just the garage but the house now -- blah blah asprin moment"

"Yes Dear" :(

I love her really :) at times :blush: some less / more than others :mellow: this not being "One of the greatest" :hysterical:

With some appropriate cable routing the SWMBO problem could be solved :ph34r:

I certainly wouldn't go over 100m with Cat5, it may work, but not too well. You can always go fibreoptic, but that's a tad costlier.

They joke about the Pringles cans, but it should work fairly well. Not sure if you'd get a reliable connection over that range though.

How does SWMBO feel about you digging a little ditch to run the cable through? It'll only be a temporary eyesore.

I would have a look into different routers. Not all Wireless routers have the same signal strength (and therefore effective range).

A decent wireless N router would probably do the job, as it should have an effective range of over 150m (especially if you created a range extender, to make the signal output directional instead of omnidirectional). if that struggled because of very thick walls on the house and/or the workshop, i would recommend attaching a wireless bridge to the outside of the workshop, then just run a cable in there to the PC(as long as SWMBO permits :P ).

it won't give you the same speed as you get in the house, but would i suspect be a lot faster than using a USB dongle.

I've got the Devolo powerplug adapter things... Way to go!

The master one is hard wired to the router then I've got a couple of the boosters spotted around, one being in the workshop which is 200ft from the house...

Speed & strength is excellent, security is as good as the router.. In the summer, we unplugged one of the units and plugged it into an extension lead dragged across the garden, still worked great for the phones! Can't fault it to be honest.

I would look into possibly using another router as a bridge or repeater, certain models of router can be flashed with better firmware that will give your existing equipment better capabilities. Google "dd-wrt".

I flashed a spare linksys router I had with dd-wrt and now the PC's upstairs connect to that via ethernet cable and it talks to the other router at the front of the house over wifi. No more dropouts!

There are a few ways you can do this, depending on the length you want to go and money you want to pay, and clearly the SWMBO's acceptance!! but as said above as long as you are on the same circuit Ethernet over power is good in this type of situation, if it is on a separate circuit you may have to add a socket at the MCB to facilitate this, they do work across circuits but with a lot of signal loss.

Ethernet over UTP Cat5e/Cat6 is only ratified to 116 meters so the standard rule of thum is 100m after this the signal will drop very quickly and you will get massive cross talk, you would also need external grade cable as internal Shielded UTP will again start to degrade quickly and again you will get cross talk.

If you did want to use cable the cheapest option would be to use external grade Cat3 cable and use technology called long range Ethernet (similar to DSL) which can drive an Ethernet over a copper pair up to 10mbps.

You could of course use fibre but again you would need external fibre, it would be cheapest if you terminated them onto MTRJ connectors then you could use relatively cheap Linkys type line drivers which are good to 1gbps

Wireless wise the cheapest option would be a point to point 802.11 solution using Yagi antennas (Pringle can looking antennas) these are relatively cost effective and again will work up to about 10mbps and could be used with existing wireless/repeaters.

Stepping up from that you could go for a Infra-red building to building link or a microwave building to building link assuming with all three you had good line of site if you have any trees etc in the way they again will massively damage RF attenuation.

Jason.

I'd be tempted with the ethernet over power (homeplug) it's pretty cheap especially if you get used ones from ebay as BT send them out with BT Vision systems and most people don't use them so flog them on. It also requires the least work on your behalf, it is pretty much plug and play.

Obviously you would want to test them out first to make sure they work for you over your distance, but a colleague of mine has used them over longer distances.

Oh meant to say, the oldest BT Vision homeplug adapters had a recall notice on them as apparently if you repeatedly smash a vacuum cleaner into them with extreme prejudice the cover comes off. They are easily recognised as they don't have the mains socket on the surface to plug other things into. Personally I had no problem with them .... although I probably have a dirty floor :P

Also the early ones generate RF noise that annoys radio hams, later ones are much better.

Our whole home network is run off home plugs. Got the Devolo ones and they are great. We do have the wireless for the laptops when you can't be bothered with the cable. I'd try those Nige, or run a hosepipe to the shed with the CAT5 in that :). With a mate it wouldn't take long to bury it while SWMBO is out!!! Doesnt even need a trench, just stick the spade in and wiggle :ph34r: