Land Rover Theft at Harper Adams.

discomikey

Glad to hear you got it back!

Between my housemates and the lads next door we have 6 defenders outside, the pikeys have tried twice in the last year! They failed the first time when we saw them and chased them...the second time we caught one of them...they are yet to return :ph34r:

We now box all of them in with modern cars overnight when possible and park them in the uni car park under cameras or lock them in the workshop if left for longer periods.

I guess the barrels are just a rubbish design to start with. As above I've removed mine from the front doors, only thing stopping me removing it from the rear door is the need to retain a backup entry method in the case of electrical/solenoid failure. Otherwise I'd just put deadbolts in and run them off the central locking solenoids.

I guess a good solution would simply be a better lock assembly below the main one on the rear door. It's finding something suitable that would extend a bolt over into the frame. You'd have to put pins on the other side too to stop people simply unbolting the hinges and removing the door.

Later 2002-on barrels are better yes. Td5 up to 2001 still uses the old system.

CW: This is how a friend of mine in the village had his stolen off his drive, they went for a joyride and smashed it up. He got it back though. My plan was to put a steel plate under the door skin, covering the lock mechanism as far as is necessary. Would take some doing to put a screwdriver through some 2mm plate.

Still doesn't stop them smashing the window. Only way around that is an alarm that will go off when they do it I guess.

the removable steering system what ever will NEVER work if they can get past the steering lock, once they jack up the front you can manually turn the wheels. :unsure:

You could split the column above the steering lock, that way your removable column part would only be small. Also even if split below the lock or the lock defeated you couldn't drive it, just tow/push. I was trying to think around the driving with mole grips scenario.

Later 2002-on barrels are better yes. Td5 up to 2001 still uses the old system.

CW: This is how a friend of mine in the village had his stolen off his drive, they went for a joyride and smashed it up. He got it back though. My plan was to put a steel plate under the door skin, covering the lock mechanism as far as is necessary. Would take some doing to put a screwdriver through some 2mm plate.

Still doesn't stop them smashing the window. Only way around that is an alarm that will go off when they do it I guess.

It is a difficult and maybe a fruitless task to prevent them getting in with so many weak points, anything you do will just lead to more damage. Maybe it is better to just let them in but prevent them from taking it? For example it would be better to let them open the lock with a spoon than have them snap the door top off, we know how expensive doors are :blink:

You could split the column above the steering lock, that way your removable column part would only be small. Also even if split below the lock or the lock defeated you couldn't drive it, just tow/push. I was trying to think around the driving with mole grips scenario.

ahh, it was just point to say that it could still be put on a trailer and taken that way. :)

As CW says, the determined scrote will have a low-loader or hiab, and locks only keep honest people out. It may be a bit pessimistic but my view is the best you can do is make it difficult/noisy for them, catch them on camera, and if possible track the car / raise the alarm.

Were any of the cheaper GSM/GPS any good?

If your article never got published in the magazine is there any chance it could get published online? Or is it owned by LRM?

Yes and no... sorry but that's the best answer. The problem was that they relied on recreational mobile phone sim cards, so signal was important as was useage. Also the shear cost of texting the blessed thing for a location added up like you would not believe. I've still got one here that you can play with if you want...

That's why Skytag system works so well. Skytag do deals for serving troops/responders etc

Yes and no... sorry but that's the best answer. The problem was that they relied on recreational mobile phone sim cards, so signal was important as was useage. Also the shear cost of texting the blessed thing for a location added up like you would not believe. I've still got one here that you can play with if you want...

That's why Skytag system works so well. Skytag do deals for serving troops/responders etc

I wouldn't mind having a play, see what it's like..... Although having a skytag with 6.99 per month weighs up well against sticking a contract sim in a cheap one....

ive always thought about replacing my air bags with a boxing glove , so when they try and start it and the alarms not deactivated they get a nice supprise. completely rediculous idea in reality but would be so funny to see....

as for what im actually doing, going to get a tracker fitted and a better after market alarm. if they want it, chances are they will get it. its just whether all the alarms and such cause them to get spooked and abandon the job.

whichw ould people advise the most. a clutch claw type thing, or a wheel cover lock. ive been debating as to which would be best in terms of ease of use and security. opinions?

if you tackle them and it turns nasty (god forbid it doesn't!!) what would you rather get hit round the head with? :unsure: :unsure:

Nothing! Hopefully It'd be me doing the hitting(In self defence Mi'lord) and with reasonable force of course

John

clutch claws/pedal safes can be defeated in 30 minutes!, not sure about the wheel cover. whats most practical for storage when not in use?

if you tackle them and it turns nasty (god forbid it doesn't!!) what would you rather get hit round the head with? :unsure: :unsure:

So, we need some nice soft, fluffy anti theft devices? I think fruit is under-used in vehicle security! :wacko: (Mild Monty Python reference there)

Si

...and in a populated residential area, I don't think many scrotes would work for 30 minutes trying to remove a clutch claw. My 109 is currently on axle stands, protecting Kettle who's un-drivable anyway, and my friends Series 2, which has no drivers door.......don't think I'm much of a target at the moment!