Land Rover Theft at Harper Adams.

discomikey

What Jason says is true, but I also agree with Mr Wabbit that in most cases I doubt they will even think to look for one as it's not a common fitment on that kind of vehicle.

On my tracker, set in GPS mode it does handshake with the network, but not very often. The battery life in standby is 4 to 5 days - which tends to back that up. It also supports geofencing etc.

The hardware used by SkyTag and the like is identical (from the piccy on their web site) to the tracker I bought. I imagine they supply english instructions - so that in itself may be worth the extra £200. I thought I'd take my chances though.

I figure that even if they find and disable it - at £50 it's not a great loss. With any security it has to be layered. Each layer adds time and has a deterrant value. Hopefully this will add up to them moving to a vehicle with fewer layers. I would personally go for several low cost security aids than spend a load of money on one which still may or may not work.

What about fitting a tracker outside the vehicle? Then the body will help screen it from someone searching inside (where they are most likely to be hidden). Something like a driving light enclosure or orange beacon. You could even entomb it in a block of epoxy and bolt this to your roof! The kind of thing you'd need a club hammer to get into?

Si

good news that i dont think discomikey has posted yet.

The red 90 has been FOUND!!! 7miles away in a hedge. steering columb smashed and satnav stolen plus the 5 offraod tyres strapped to the roof.

further more there is CCTV footage of the incident and they 90 is currently being dusted for finger prints. so we'll hopefully get them for this!

The red 90 has been FOUND!!! 7miles away in a hedge. steering columb smashed and satnav stolen plus the 5 offraod tyres strapped to the roof.

further more there is CCTV footage of the incident and they 90 is currently being dusted for finger prints. so we'll hopefully get them for this!

Groan!!!

When will people stop leaving thwack navs in their cars?????

On another angle, WTF were the tyres doing strapped to the roof?? Was it on bricks, or did the nice guys take some spare wheels along?

Anyway, good to hear it's been found. I hope the dusters find some well known prints.

Looks like a good idea Simon.

What is the reception like on the trackers (both for GPS and GSM)? Are they fussy about location? Obviously encasing it in a lead lined box would be a bad idea but you get what I mean.

When I was putting together an article on anti-theft/theft detterant stuff for LRM (that never got published!) I was given a number of these GSM/GPS tracker systems to try. They all worked; but some worked very well, one make was brilliant - Skytag. Even got reception in a container in a pile of containers down at the docks. It uses the commercial telecoms band. Worth the money.

Same goes for DataTag. The paint is impossible to remove completely so if you put in all over the vehicle then notify the potential thief it's there you will put most of the professionals off. Also tried large descrete micro-chips - again very good to put all over the vehicle and publicise. A professional thief simply doesn't want the hassle

The drawback is the opportunist thief. No sense, just impulse; no style. This is where the annoyingly difficult to remove stuff is good; and the immobilisers.

Groan!!!

When will people stop leaving thwack navs in their cars?????

On another angle, WTF were the tyres doing strapped to the roof?? Was it on bricks, or did the nice guys take some spare wheels along?

Anyway, good to hear it's been found. I hope the dusters find some well known prints.

Probably should've made that clearer .the wheels and tyres on the roof were brought up from his home for an offroading trip at some point. he had other wheels on it which were nicer for the long dirve.

Edited by Happyoldgit
Edited to remove umpteen duplicated quotes

Result! :)

Now for questions....

Was there any extra security?

How was it defeated?

yes great news. last time i spoke with the uni, they were identifying the perpetrator. not sure how well this has gone so far but they made a massive mistake of entering one of the halls of residence AFTER stealing the 90. so a mugshot is inevitable. i hope and am confident that the cost of my door is recovered from the theiving scum.

glad to hear that its been found! capital punishment is to good for them! :banned: lets hope they catch them! thats the second land rover incident from Harper this week, this popped up on my facebook feed :unsure:

im so glad that we don't have a theft problem down here, wonder what it will be like when i get a defender? :mellow: not that i would be too helpful but discussing it would be good, I've had a (what i think, matter of opinion) awesome idea but yet would only be good as a 'one off to A defender/series' rather than mass produced. then surly a problem about talking is reveiling our secrets and give THEM a sense of what to look for? :closedeyes:

glad to hear that its been found! capital punishment is to good for them! :banned: lets hope they catch them! thats the second land rover incident from Harper this week, this popped up on my facebook feed :unsure:

im so glad that we don't have a theft problem down here, wonder what it will be like when i get a defender? :mellow: not that i would be too helpful but discussing it would be good, I've had a (what i think, matter of opinion) awesome idea but yet would only be good as a 'one off to A defender/series' rather than mass produced. then surly a problem about talking is reveiling our secrets and give THEM a sense of what to look for? :closedeyes:

yes. he was very lucky to have been thrown out of that at the first roll! he would have most probably died.

he had a steering box and hi lift jack in there at the time i think too floating about, could have caused some damage for sure!

When my 90 went before chrimbo, two attempts with a slide hammer had the ign barrel out and then the flatblade that unlocked it also started it. Pikey thief combined door key and ign key, it took lr years to do that :glare:

Glad he got it back.

That's one reason why I've removed the lock barrels from my front doors. As we all know, when they get old and sticky they can be opened with almost anything!

Of course they'll just smash the glass and open it from the inside, but that's noisy. One more thing to put them off anyhow.

In fact, http://www.ebay.co.u...c#ht_3250wt_814 £5 later - and they fit in a pocket! This is much more common than you might think!

Si

Well what you really need is a removable steering column then. Basic idea would be a two part hollow steering column that gets linked by a solid part dropped down the centre. To prevent them just slipping a new one in you'd have a locking mech in the centre of the steering wheel that blocked the hole......

I'm sure nobody will know what I'm very poorly attempting to describe here, but it would defeat the mole/vice grips.

Well what you really need is a removable steering column then. Basic idea would be a two part hollow steering column that gets linked by a solid part dropped down the centre. To prevent them just slipping a new one in you'd have a locking mech in the centre of the steering wheel that blocked the hole......

I'm sure nobody will know what I'm very poorly attempting to describe here, but it would defeat the mole/vice grips.

I know what you mean, not such a silly idea :)