Land Rover Theft at Harper Adams.

discomikey

So, we need some nice soft, fluffy anti theft devices?

Si

fur coated pedal box? :ph34r:

you no what a mean, if they just removed it and your approaching them.... "the best way to defend is to attack" :mellow:

30 minutes is actually very good, thatcham approval only requires it to take 2 minutes!

really? :o :o

as in REALLY??!! THAT'S SHOCKING! i thought Thatcham approve was suppose to be good....

I see nobody has mentionmed the easiest way to enter a Defender. No tools, no keys, no damage. That was the first place I covered when I bought my Defender.

holes in the floor? ;)

really? :o :o

as in REALLY??!! THAT'S SHOCKING! i thought Thatcham approve was suppose to be good....

I had a vague recollection of it being 5 minutes so to be sure went on to Thatchams site and looked up approved physical immobiliser products and it stated 2 minutes resistance.

I see nobody has mentionmed the easiest way to enter a Defender. No tools, no keys, no damage. That was the first place I covered when I bought my Defender.

In the spirit of openness ... would this be removing the small window beside the back door and reaching in and unlocking it?

this is exactly how my last defender was stolen,i found the glass in one piece on the grass verge the next morning,thw current defender i have was a van back when i first bought it so i fitted some window cages with button head bolts when i bought it,i then just drilled the heads slighty so an allan key wouldnt fit and could only be removed with a grinder

I can vouch for the Mobile Storage Systems SIDE window guards......I have the pre-production set. My Defender was used as the template so blame me if they don't fit.

The rear door and window guards were s/h. Don't really need the door guard as the window is now Lexan. Yes s/h Lexan was cheaper than a new glass.

I'm not convinced it's worth spending much on securing the outside of the vehicle. There are so many ways of getting in:

Rear Quarter Light

Screwdriver through door

open lock with teaspoon

Bend window frame

Unscrew door hinges

To name just a few - that it's an almost hopeless task.

I tend to leave my doors unlocked - at least they are less likely then to be damaged. Then concentrate on making the vehicle difficult to steal with multiple layers of simple, low cost security. I've come up with some great solutions which cover several of the bases including protecting the ignition barrel / steering lock, jamming the steering full lock independently of the column lock, locking the gear lever in 5th and transfer in high, the folding pedal box that was covered (at least the cardboard version!) on a previous thread and an ECU cage for Td5's (as they tend to be stolen by plugging in a new ECU without the immobiliser).

Not that I'm starting to feel a bit paranoid about it or anything!

I looked at exterior security, but for every solution there seemed to be another, often more destructive, way around it. One of my big problems is I'm too lazy to spend more than seconds securing the vehicle if I'm only going to be a few mins - and even more so when it comes to unlocking it - so the ideas I've had are all based on taking seconds to lock / unlock / stow away. More than that & I wouldn't bother. I'm pretty sure that most of them would survive 2 minutes attack with anything other than a disk-cutter / oxy / plasma / gun!

On the subject of Guns, I spoke to someone who had a decoy, dummy 'Gun Safe' in their car. The people who stole it were caught (thanks to the tracker) with the vehicle outside their house trying to cut open the safe - which was actually just an empty welded closed box with a keyhole and hinges welded to the outside. I thought this was a great idea!

Si

i agree with you there simon and i think the best way is to prevent them getting near the veichal in the first place if possible,meaning where you park it,ive got mine on a gravel drive behind 6ft fencing with a security light set so you only have to open the gate or stick your head over the fence to set it off which in turn starts the dogs next door off barking,i know this isnt possible for everyone i just mean putting measures in place to stop thiefs seeing or getting near the truck in the first place is a big deterante,

ive also had a cat 1 alarm with tilt sensors fitted should i need to park it somewhere (shops ect)and fitted it all inside the cab and out of site so theres no way they can get in without setting it off,its out of the elements being an offroader and should they try winching/lifting onto a trailer ect hopefully due to the tilt sensors the alarm will trigger,also being thatcham approved its also reduced my insurance which after the claim from the last one is a big help :)

I've often wondered about the effects of 'fake' immbolizers like these....http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLIFFORD-CAR-ALARM-IMMOBILISER-STICKERS-flashing-LED-/120842506276?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Safety_Security&hash=item1c22c65024...for those of us with motors that don't have ECU immobilzers, they are a visual detterent, claimed to stop people breaking in in the first place, rather than the ol' hidden switch...yes it stops it being driven away, but by then they've caused damage getting in in the first place.

I'm not convinced it's worth spending much on securing the outside of the vehicle. There are so many ways of getting in:

Rear Quarter Light

Screwdriver through door

open lock with teaspoon

Bend window frame

Unscrew door hinges

To name just a few - that it's an almost hopeless task.

I looked at exterior security, but for every solution there seemed to be another, often more destructive, way around it.

Si

Agreed, better to let them in with the minimum of damage and then stop them taking it. If there is stuff kept in your Land Rover you are better off securing that in locking boxes than trying to secure the Land Rover perimeter

It is a difficult and maybe a fruitless task to prevent them getting in with so many weak points, anything you do will just lead to more damage. Maybe it is better to just let them in but prevent them from taking it? For example it would be better to let them open the lock with a spoon than have them snap the door top off, we know how expensive doors are :blink:

I've often wondered about the effects of 'fake' immbolizers like these....http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLIFFORD-CAR-ALARM-IMMOBILISER-STICKERS-flashing-LED-/120842506276?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Safety_Security&hash=item1c22c65024...for those of us with motors that don't have ECU immobilzers, they are a visual detterent, claimed to stop people breaking in in the first place, rather than the ol' hidden switch...yes it stops it being driven away, but by then they've caused damage getting in in the first place.

mines a 93 k defender (200tdi) theres no ecu on it,this guy supplied and fitted mine(cat 1 alarm/immobilisor with certificate) may be worth getting in touch and haveing a chat,he's very helpfull and came to my house to fit it

DSB communications

tel: 0113 2822006

mob 07790579814

email dsbcommunications@msn.comi

i use the fob to activate the alarm but i would have to lock the doors manually,but i dont bother cos as soon as they open the door/pop a window out the alarm goes of,even if they manage to cut the power supply theres a back up battery in the siren which automatically activates and then they've got to get past the immobilisor

I can understand leaving keys in the ignition invalidating insurance, and not locking should invalidate any theft from the vehicle claims. It shouldn't invalidate claims for theft of the vehicle but my guess is it will mean a few 'discussions' with your insurance company. Of course they may have specific clauses in your policy so it would be worth a read.

However on a defender I think it would be hard for the insurance company to prove the door wasn't locked....

I spoke to the insurance and they said that they largely agree with my logic. It would probably invalidate claims for thefts of goods from the vehicle - if you say on the claim form you left it open. However, because you can get in so easily - there is no way anybody can tell whether you locked it originally or not!

Si

Sounds stupid I know but apart from a few other little tricks I,ve started to remove the steering wheel off of my series on a night!

A ball ache at times but every little helps

I had a friend a few years back who used to do that (on a maestro, I think) - all was well until he got a bit careless and didn't do the nut up properly... :blink: