Land Rover Theft at Harper Adams.

discomikey

a mates just had his land rover stolen. its a metallic red land rover 90 county with silver modulars. Reg H523 CVB

post-13725-0-35097600-1328611692_thumb.jpg

stolen between 11.30 and 9.00 this morning. also had on a winch bumper and winch. a roof rack which had some special tracks on wheels that i cant remember what they are. standard fitment TDI (think it was on a rangie chassis?)

not only that but brian was broken into last night as an attempted theft!!!

door top bent outwards and had tried to gaina ccess by the tailgate too. however he was blocked in by 2 other land rovers

post-13725-0-63962400-1328612126_thumb.jpg

post-13725-0-67302000-1328612132_thumb.jpg

post-13725-0-99018300-1328612138_thumb.jpg

i cant believe it. had my bedroom window open all last night and didnt hear a thing. im literally 20 feet from where brian is parked.

This is worrying given the thread you posted regarding the missing keys, do you think it's related?

It's a shame we live in a society where these things happen, sorry to see Brian being damaged so shortly after you fixing him.

Hope you get to the bottom of it and the other Land Rover returns.

i think it could be related. however surely they would have used the door key to get in? this confuses me. anyway its being properly locked up in a secure place from now on in campus and the cameras will be improved on too!

wish we had caught them. i live in the same house as discomikey and so angry i didnt hear anything! my disco was the one helping block his series in. actually makes you feel sick thinking about what theyve done and how easily it couldve been yours. :/

has spured me on now to get a tracker fitted to mine which will be fitted either this weekend or the following.

i hope they catch the theiving scum

Bending the window frame to access the lock is quite common - though it's the one that nobody talks about. I've seen a few implied references to it on here but nobody has been prepared to talk about it. Its one of the things that make additional door security a waste of money. The frame will break off and the window comes out of its runner without breaking. Apparently it can be done in seconds and almost silently. Series are the least vulnerable to this as it does not break off - but Defenders offler little defence!

Do you not think its time we had a frank and open discussion about how Land Rovers, and defenders in particular are stolen? The only people who gain from our reluctance to talk about it are the thieves - and you can bank on them knowing anyway.

While I've been looking at security products, I've talked to many people about how their trucks have been stolen. The irony is that in many cases there are simple things you can do to hamper them but in most cases the people who have talked to me have requested I don't talk about it - thinking its a great secret that must be kept only to the criminals and a select few others. This strikes me as really dumb! Sorry - but who does the silence really serve?

If this is not to peoples liking - how about a problems and solutions thread, so only post about a security vulnerability if you can suggest something you & I can do to fix it? In the above case - I would suggest sticking the window into its channel with sikoflex or epoxy so the window breaks? At least it will make a noise and a mess!

A little start for everyone. My friend had their 90 stolen and recovered - twice. They had fitted a tracker which cost about £50 delivered from here: http://www.dealextre...e-tracker-22968 Mine took 3 months to turn up and the instructions are diabolical - but once you figure it out, its actually pretty good!

You can select either Text message SMS mode where you request the position by sending it a message and it responds with a link to google maps showing the vehicle location, or GPRS continuous mode where it stays logged in to a web site on which you can view the current location & speed.

I also bought a GPS Jammer to see how effective it is at preventing the tracker from working. It too works - but only had a range of 20cm! Further than that from the tracker and it had no effect! I would therefore say that a tracker, particularly a £50 tracker is worth every penny!

Si

In the above case - I would suggest sticking the window into its channel with sikoflex or epoxy so the window breaks? At least it will make a noise and a mess!

I doubt this would work in all honesty, I broke into my old MK1 Fiesta by bending the door top out, very easy really, and the glass just flexed! Afterwards I straightened it and it was barely noticeable.

Am interested in a tracker, I assume it is just a cheap contract and suck up the SMS charges? I assume it doesn't SMS unless something happens, vibration, or battery removed?

I'd be happy for a full and frank discussion about how to keep our truck in our hands and not somewhere on the continent in a container!

I have a tracker fitted, with a pay-as-you-go sim card, with a charger wired into an always live circuit. I can call up the tracker on a mobile and get GPS co-ordinates back as a text message. Google Earth then comes to the rescue. So far, I've not needed to use it in anger, so I've nothing much to contribute in the way of deterring or defeating pikeys, but I totally agree with SimonR. It's only us potential victims who don't know the tricks and soft spots. The scum probably swap notes all the time.

Mike

I am currently working on a project at work with regards to asset tracking, over the last week I have been working with a car hire company and started to cut through the myths around vehicular tracking and GSM jamming.

In short the nice people search the car for a tracker by listening for it's RF signal they can then place the 'jammer' near the GSM device until they can remove the unit. when you add GPS the devises digital signature is increased because it is always looking for a GPS fix.

Tracker units don't have the same sort of digital signature and use a lower frequency to increase RF penetration through containers etc, but the basic units don't have a GPS element but use DF to locate the asset.

The best way to combat this is by using triangulation from base stations to find the asset but this is not as accurate as GPS, new devices coming onto the market will have some of these facilities built in including geo-fencing and motion sensors but will only transmit short bursts making them more difficult to find, because they will not be constantly searching for a GSM signal the battery life on the device is expected to be around 6 months, clearly as no power supply is required but can alert on low power will also make finding them harder as you will not be able to trace the power supply.

Jason.

In short the nice people search the car for a tracker by listening for it's RF signal they can then place the 'jammer' near the GSM device until they can remove the unit. when you add GPS the devises digital signature is increased because it is always looking for a GPS fix.

I think we are looking at two differing classes of pikey here, the common or garden pikey and the super pikey.

Defending against the super pikey is both difficult and expensive as they will as you say use scanners etc to locate trackers.

The common or garden pikey will I doubt go looking for them, they may leave the stolen vehicle in a neutral place for a few days to see if someone comes after it but I doubt they do much more than that. This would explain why Simons friend was able to have success in recovering their 90 twice.

I'm all for pointing out weaknesses in any solution as well as weaknesses in the vehicle itself, however just because a solution isn't 100% effective doesn't mean it should be ruled out completely. After all some protection is better than none at all.

I think we are looking at two differing classes of pikey here, the common or garden pikey and the super pikey.

Defending against the super pikey is both difficult and expensive as they will as you say use scanners etc to locate trackers.

The common or garden pikey will I doubt go looking for them, they may leave the stolen vehicle in a neutral place for a few days to see if someone comes after it but I doubt they do much more than that. This would explain why Simons friend was able to have success in recovering their 90 twice.

I'm all for pointing out weaknesses in any solution as well as weaknesses in the vehicle itself, however just because a solution isn't 100% effective doesn't mean it should be ruled out completely. After all some protection is better than none at all.

Sadly I think you might be giving the standard pikey less credit than they are due, the biggest reason given for not finding a tracker is they didn't think to look for one i.e. the car didn't look like it had that much security, also on a basic Land Rover with minimum trim they are not that difficult to find.

An un-tuned radio will allow you to search for a GSM signal, so hardly complex equipment, if you are going to fit a GSM based unit, turn the frequency of alerts down and power saving up this will stop the device constantly searching for the network.

It may seem obvious but don't stick the device in the head lining taking the supply from the courtesy light!! or stick it behind the linings in the boot!!! or even under the back seat!!

Running a power supply back to a constant live feed may seem obvious but many of these units have 48 hours worth of battery back up if you do get one that does not require permanent live connection consider taking the feed from somewhere less obvious like a lighting circuit.

Oh and the last thing, DON'T put stickers on your truck saying TRACKER FITTED!!!!

Jason.

I guess we only get to learn from the Land Rovers that get recovered or failed thefts, and those examples are by that very fact from the less successful criminals.

Jason, thanks for the very good advice for locating so as they are less likely to be found.