Land Rover Theft at Harper Adams.

discomikey

Because there are so few Defender Autos and the layout of the gear sticks varies somewhat - I had planned to make a lock for the push button on the auto select lever only.

Although this still allows the transfer lever to be put in neutral, and you could smash the plastic surround for the auto lever to get at the mechanism to release the gate - they are remarkably tough! It took me several mins with a club hammer and cold chisel to get one out of park without pushing the button. That of course made quite a lot of noise and mess.

Doing it this way means that it's cheap, simple and will fit (hopefully) any auto on any Land Rover.

Sgnas - ;) You are right!

Si

Mm, what about removing the gaitor, undo the nut that holds the lever and pull the hole lever off? Then use a vice grip to change gear. not trying to knock the idea, just thinking practical.

The final version will have a couple of modifications ..... which remove the most obvious weaknesses such as using a scissor jack to pull the knob off the transfer box lever or just undoing the nut that holds the gear stick on.

That was one of the issues that had been picked up, that's the advantage of showing the prototype before going into production ..... hopefully problems like you have noticed can get picked :)

Any other flaws point them out so we can all get a simple but robust security device.

Having grown up in the area and played Rugby against you guys back when it was known as Harper Adams Agricultural College, it's a real pity to hear about the recent outbreak of Land-Rover-thieving scrotes.

Have you thought about the security-benefits of Dogs? A couple of Rhodesian Ridgebacks are the best security I've come across.

[A friend's pack of Ridgies apprehended a couple of thieves who were trying to steal his 110; stupidly they tried to outrun the dogs. Finding this impossible, they took refuge in a rather well-used and full-to-overflowing Portaloo. This was on a really hot summer's night. A ratchet-strap round the portaloo kept the thieves from escaping - it took some hours for the police to arrive... and they weren't too happy about having to remove the thieves, who were by then deeply 'fragrant'.]

--Tanuki

Years ago I saw (and felt) the best fake dog guarding a van. There was the obvious angry dog recording triggered by one PIR detector - but also a second when you got a bit closer which switched on a geared down motor with an eccentric cam (4x4" 12" long lump of concrete fence post) on the end. The motor was connected to the van wall by a length of real heavy chain. When it switched on it sounded like there was a HUGE frenzied angry dog trying to escape! Even knowing it was fake - it put me in fear of my life!

It belonged to a chap who had business in the abandoned Shoreham Cement Works - home to innumerable traveling folk at the time. His previous (real) dog ate too much and kept biting him! I went there to look at business premises - but felt it was not quite what I was looking for!

Si

i like that idea lol, to be honest youve got me thinking,how many times have we been laid in bed and heard a car alarm go off and thought to ourselfs "for god sake i wish that would shut up,ive got to get up for work in the morning!" pulled the pillow over our head and gone to sleep?

i know someones allready mentioned on here that no one takes any notice of car alarms anymore and to be fair people dont.

but imagine if you heard someone screaming for help,i would imagine everyone on the street would be up to there windows to see what was happening or out there doors no matter how many times you heard it,its human nature,

i found this vid and i know its meant as a joke but maybe it does have a good point? or maybe it could result in the "little boy who cried wolf" scenario if a genuine person really did need help?

You will get the boy who cried wolf syndrome after a while unfortunately. I think as was pointed out earlier the only person who is going to respond to your alarm is you, so you may as well get one that pages or texts you. That has the added benefit that you have the chance of catching the pikey in the process.......

I have made a prototype version of my gear lock for LT77 boxes. Is there anyone near Horsham who would let me trial fit it?

The vehicle must have the gear lever in it's original location. The only person I know nearby has rotated the lever. Another friend has an LT85 - but I know from bitter experience not to assume they are the same!

Si

When i was at harper there was a security guard that patrolled all night with a big dog (we dubbed him wolfman)

He used to catch us silage wrapping peoples cars all the time...

Where was he when these scrotes came onto campus?

All the car parks at harper have CCTV as do all the halls of residence.

also, you mentioned he got into a halls of residence... how did he enter without a card (harper uses mag strip cards for doors/library/lunch etc)

I admit the doors are carp and with a good hard pull you can open them... but surely someone must have noticed?

CCTV has him yes theyre ID ing the person now i believe.

the camera coverage on flatt road is somewhat to be desired, there is a good view of the entrance and exit but none of the actual spaces really. soon to be rectified after this incident.

I have made a prototype version of my gear lock for LT77 boxes. Is there anyone near Horsham who would let me trial fit it?

The vehicle must have the gear lever in it's original location. The only person I know nearby has rotated the lever. Another friend has an LT85 - but I know from bitter experience not to assume they are the same!

Si

I'd volunteer my one....but think I'm a bit far away!!!!!!

As a component of a multi-layer protection, one security system that might help prevent vehicle theft from your regular parking place at home is a pressure sensitive switch under a wheel with buried wiring running back to the house/garage. This could activate vehicle internal and external alarms as well as alarms and lights/cameras in the area. The average LR owner has the skills and ingenuity - or they would have a eurobox instead - to construct and conceal such a switch and wiring. A modified door courtesy light switch, for example, located under a concrete slab that rocks slightly as the vehicle moves off it could form the sensor. Such a system would be virtually impossible to be detected before moving/lifting the vehicle, and that would allow the switch to make contact and initiate alarms.

Mike