Side Slope Land Rover

broken90

Hi guys,

I ve got a job coming up that requires me to be working on a very steep hillside. I need to cart materials to and from the site in pallet sized bundles.

I ll have my tractor there but have been advised by the land owner that even on dual wheels the hill can be on its limit in places :o so the tractor will stay at the top of the hill working so I need to get something else to get materials up the slope.

Has anyone got/seen dual wheels on a land rover?

Obviously a long wheelbase is a benefit going UP the slope but what do I need to take into consideration going ACROSS it?

Leaf/coil?

track width... how can i increase it? I was even toying with the idea of a 'stabiliser' out rigger!?!

I will be putting on a roll hoop!!!

My Freelander van can get round 75% of the site but I cant go strapping heavy loads to the roofrack :rofl:

Best thing is not to go across it... look at how you work and try and do it differently so you are working up/down slope.

I have seen dual wheels on a LR but without exception it's been a complete lash up and not road legal in any way. It also doesn't add a lot to the width if you are talking std 7.50R16 wheels and the main element is that the vehicle will lean on its suspension a lot.

In terms of stability, remove any roofrack or other weight up high, keep the load low down in the vehicle. Fit wide / offset rims if you want width - a set of 10x15 rims in -32 offset on a Defender will improve the stability but the main thing on a major side slope is that the vehicle leans on the suspension and unsettles itself so stiffer springs might be in order.

..... the main thing on a major side slope is that the vehicle leans on the suspension and unsettles itself so stiffer springs might be in order.

This was why I wondered whether an old 109" might be a good option? I am still looking at ways of going up and down the field rather than across but I dont think its an option on parts of it.

Richy B... Yes I had wondered about something like that but its probably much too complex for me to get my head around!

I know there are bank tractors etc like Aebi/Reform but these are mega money and I'd still have to use a trailer, I was hoping to build myself a 'work' land rover that would be a bit more multi purpose.

Oh well.... back to the drawing board!!

http://www.ebay.co.u...7#ht_715wt_1187

What about these? 31 inches tall so they will keep the centre of gravity down and 15.5 inches wide...

You could also put ratchet straps between the axle and chassis legs to prevent the springs extending...or at least thats how I got the 90 out of the garage after fitting new springs to it... :rolleyes:

Boris113, those are the sort of tyres I am thinking about, could probably do with a bit more meat on them than that set though. We wont work if its wet but those look fairly bald and its a long way to the bottom of the hill :-)

Tacr2man, the Reforms are great machines, I ve just got back from watching one with a wood chipper on the bank of a river, they dont have any real carrying capability and trying to find a 2nd hand one is virtually impossible! (Trying not to go too far off Land Rover topics!!!)

I was wondering about making the equivilent out of a 109, make it into a 'working tray back', smaller wide tyres etc. I could even put a PTO front and rear for various jobs

A 109 on 15" reverse rims with low profile terra tyres and spring locks, trayback ,and a rops bar would be pretty stable I would think , the standard vehicle is ok at 45, you could also fit spacers under the axles to lower the springs , and thereby the body on the axles .

Here is a totally mad idea......

If I were to make a LWB landrover into a flat bed then i would have access to the chassis rails, could i make a detatchable extended chassis rails/axle/rear crossmember? I could the use a non driven axle at the back and make it have a much wider track width. That way i have a longer load bed, longer wheelbase/length, and a much wider track at the back?

Does that sound completely stupid? It could then be unbolted and the original vehicle cold still be used on the road?!

(sounds much more stupid now i ve typed it out :hysterical: )

Boris113, those are the sort of tyres I am thinking about, could probably do with a bit more meat on them than that set though. We wont work if its wet but those look fairly bald and its a long way to the bottom of the hill :-)

I know what you mean, they are not a great example! I can't remember the name of them but they are still produced, they were fitted to agri-buggy crop sprayers which albeit off topic used land rover axles and engines!

I was on a tunnel job where they winched two dumper trucks up and down the embankment all day long loaded up. Tow motor was a recovery truck. I was suprised they didn't knock the cranks out of the dumper engines it was that steep :) Can you do the same with a tractor winch?

What about buying the bald tyres and putting chains through the wheel holes?

I'd buy a buldozer and drag a sledge though meself. Then flog it at the end of the job :)

I know what you mean, they are not a great example! I can't remember the name of them but they are still produced, they were fitted to agri-buggy crop sprayers which albeit off topic used land rover axles and engines!

Avon Tredlite are the 31x15.5 that I can think of, been around for years.

A 109/110 with just a truckcab sounds good - a chassis cab. Perhaps a 130 quadteck setup, without the rear body? Definate emphasis on getting rid of excess high-up weight, hence suggesting getting rid of the vody altogether. You would also have a low down platform for your carrying needs then.

I would preferably be looking for a way to either work up/down slope, or high a 'dozer and carve a road up the hill.

I have a set of thos tyres and wheels on a disco ute. It seems pretty stable so far although i've not tried it on any serious side slopes. I've had tractors at way more of an angle than a i'd feel comfortuble in a landy, used to drive a landini that you could trundle round all day on 3 wheels with two silage bales on the loader, even tried to roll it with the mower conditioner on and it wouldnt go.

I presume this is for fencing/tree planting? if so i would be looking at something like i'm building, flatbed, LGP tyres and probably a pto winch if you do any foresty etc. Or as has been said cut a track out. Can you get any pictures of the area?

Will.