Crikey he's coped it

reads90

Just found the same thing whilst checking the news in OZ, I was`nt the biggest fan of his, but it is a bit of a shock after seeing some of the things he has done and to finally get taken out by a stingray.

Without a doubt he was a big TV personallity world wide, who will be missed. I bet if you conducted a poll world wide he would be one of the most reconised Australains, far more so than our Prime Minister.

Without a doubt he was a big TV personallity world wide, who will be missed. I bet if you conducted a poll world wide he would be one of the most reconised Australains, far more so than our Prime Minister.

Yeah You ask people in the UK who the PM Of Oz is and they won't be able to tell you his name. But they will all know who steve irwin is

I never liked the guy, he made a living out of tormenting wild and dangerous animals on tv. I couldn't believe it when he taunted a crocodile with his own baby, got away with it too. Not a good advertisement for Oz in my opinion. Shame for his family, but tough luck.

Les.

Guest diesel_jim

It was a shame, i liked him.

Although i did laugh a year or 3 ago when that animated satirical program 2DTV was on in the UK, they had a scetch of him on there saying (in that typical gruff voice of his) "well, here's the biggest deadliest crocodile in the world, now i'm gonna poke him with a stick, and see what happens..." :D

"he would be one of the most reconised Australains, far more so than our Prime Minister"

there are Melbourne housewifes that are more reconised than the Australain PM! :rolleyes:

Its a sad fact that if you work with dangerous things all the time, you tend to become blasé with less dangerous things witch are the ones that kill you.

If you work with 25KV electric all day, you may be a bit blasé with 250v and it will be the 250v that will kill you.

If you work high up as a steeplejack etc you will probably fall off a stepladder in your home and break your neck.

Steve Irwin like the currant crop of extreme wildlife people spend to much time playing to the camera there own ego and not that of the wildlife or habitat they are portraying, would sir David Attenborough & the BBC's Natural History Unit programs be quite will reseved the world over if Attenborough’s ego got in the way of the wildlife etc they are portraying as Irwin's did.

To me it was a: program about Steve Irwin "macho Australian" + some wildlife..

b101uk

He was definately a character, and I am sorry for him and his family as I am for anyone who dies needlessly.From all reports he was a genuinely nice guy who was passionate about wildlife conservation.

I personally found his public persona a bit over the top, and I don't know why but I used to feel embarrassed when he would get so excited over something he'd done a hundred times before. Also, he couldn't drive a 4wd for nuts. RIP Steve.

Bill.

Yep

Sorry for the wife and kids etc, but couldn't abide the bloke.

Wonder what might be the epitaph on the gravestone ? <_<

As others have said, poking dangerous animals with a stick 1,000,000 times and getting away with it can make you fell immortal and 'special', prob is the dangerous animals don't know this :huh:

Nige

Most conservationists don't make a living by poking animals with sticks :huh:

Sorry for the wife & kids but it was gonna happen eventually.

Couldn't agree more. The interesting thing for me is the totally different reaction on some of the other internet forums that I go on.

Pprune forum

Has people mourning his passing, and saying what a great guy he was.

This man has given the world a lesson in stupidity

dont get carried away with excitement

I read today that he was only in the water because he was fedup with waiting for the weather to turn

So he took some .... On the spur of the moment action...

We think we know how to do things, but it is always better to plan ahead and PLAY SAFE

He didn't..........! Now he's gone

tn_gallery_892_118_11404.jpg

I read today that he was only in the water because he was fedup with waiting for the weather to turn

We think we know how to do things, but it is always better to plan ahead and PLAY SAFE

Yet, he saw and experienced more in his 44 years of life than you play safe p@$$%&$ could do in 1000 years. I'll miss the bloke - a good honest bloke.

Very sorry that he's gone. He made the world a more exciting and interesting place and we are poorer for his premature departure.

If we all played it safe, well, what a dull world it would be.

Shame to see comparisons made with dead servicemen, but both they and Steve knew the risks involved in their respective trades. and if anyone wants to give me a hard time about THAT comment they had better have been in Iraq more recently than me!

Yes granted, but what was he supposed to do, sit on the beach, we all take risks, some planned some un-planned, life would be pretty boring if we did`nt do anything on the spur of the momment.

Almost every one on this forum does things on the spur of the momment, lifes to short to plan everything to the last degree.

Take it as it comes.

BTW there are only 3 recorded deaths in Australia by sting rays, so by all means it was meant to be a pretty safe outing.

Some time plop happens, and this is one of these occasions.