The "Tools I wish I had bought / Known about" Thread

Can't imagine going back to grinding disks now i finally have a decent plasma cutter. Quick as you like through 8mm (and will cut 18mm at a push) and cuts alli, painted stuff, rusty stuff, etc with no fuss and no distortion. Last time I used a cutting disk was as a template for a circle cut with the plasma to make a set of spring re-locators! Not cheap i admit but farm fabrication means everything is 6mm plus and I just love the fact I can now be a bit more creative with my cutting.

Can't imagine going back to grinding disks now i finally have a decent plasma cutter. Quick as you like through 8mm (and will cut 18mm at a push) and cuts alli, painted stuff, rusty stuff, etc with no fuss and no distortion. Last time I used a cutting disk was as a template for a circle cut with the plasma to make a set of spring re-locators! Not cheap i admit but farm fabrication means everything is 6mm plus and I just love the fact I can now be a bit more creative with my cutting.

You'll be the death of my wallet! I've been lusting after a plasma cutter for a while now .... I wonder how I can sneak it past the mrs? ;)

one of the best tools ive bough recently is the black and decker powerfile makes me wonder how i managed before i had it

I love mine! So many places it will get that you can't get a grinder in :). Air powered ones are good too as they have even less bulk.

This I like, I can see it being used as a fantastic lift for all kinds of things!

Yeah, I've used mine for all sorts. Even as a seat when wound up :P (Before anyone says... I am under 150kg!)

Other things:

Nogger deburring tool (more from a machining point of view)

crocodile clip leads for my multimeter

Friend with a Plasma cutter

Prop tool

1. Irwin bolt grippers. Drop the £20, get a set. Don’t be afraid to apply LR tool no 1 to properly hammer it home before attempting to undo. Available from the likes of Amazon too so definitely xmas-pressie territory
  2. Full set of flare nut spanners – useful more than just brake pipes
  3. ¾” drive socket set. Even a cheapie Ebay special. You’ll never again abuse 1/2” tools to undo tight fasteners. Believe me it does make a difference.

Right, I have a complaint.

This thread has just cost me £100, I now have a 1/2" socket set, some of those brake flange spanners and the unwin bolt extractors.

Can we please stop there as my wife is becoming suspicious and she'll start wanting things for HER!

(I do fancy one of those welding torch torches, just need a welder to attach it too... Oh well).

Cheers,

Mike

I use a cheap bicycle lamp (which has an appropriate mount included for handlebars / mig torches) as a mig light. Way cheaper and probably better made!

My No 1 tool is a Lathe. Ok they tend to be big and often expensive, but I use mine more than any other workshop tool! Maybe that is a reflection of the things I make - but if I had to get rid of everything else, I'd keep my Lathe! Very handy for making everything from washers to odd size nuts & bolts to bushings, spacers and more interesting stuff. It has revolutionised (pun intended) what I can make on my own and opens up a world of possibilities!

Mine is CNC, but a simple Myford or similar is all you need.

The B&D power-file comes a close second though along with my Riv-Nut tool.

Si

i just use an old LED torch for that purpose. only problem being you have to hold it. so its either use the torch but find another way of positioning the metals. OR just close eyes to tack then pick up the mask to weld..

not ideal.