E bay again

Buzza

Have you ever tried to report a stolen item on eBay?

You have to jump through so many hoops with both the Police and eBay that it's just not worth the bother.

It's no wonder it's so rife!

Si

Yep, I have reported stuff before and it has still stayed on the site till the auction end.

Strangely though when I was selling something that turned out to have had a manufacturers recall notice my listing got cancelled within a day or two.......

Strangely though when I was selling something that turned out to have had a manufacturers recall notice my listing got cancelled within a day or two.......

So according to ebay its ok to sell stuff thats nicked but as soon as health & safety is involved its pulled!

I reported an item stolen from a customer. I identified it because I made it as a one-off for him. Apparently, this was insufficient proof of being the same item. Likewise, the customer had been unable to prove beyond reasonable doubt that it was his, despite being a one off with his initials milled in to the surface. The item was not removed and was sold for a few quid.

I had to report it to the police - who in turn had to report it to ebay. The report to the police required a printout of the listing as well as my evidence that it was stolen. At the point they discovered it was not stolen from me, they said the victim needed to report it himself. He duly reported it, but ebay would not accept my evidence because it was not his - and treated it as 'word of mouth'.

I made him another one for free as I still had the CNC program for the mill.

What was it? An articulating trailer attachment to go on a bike with a miniature pin-hitch. The bike (a very expensive Recumbent) was stolen. The ebay seller knew exactly what it was - and I think you would have been hard pressed to identify it unless you saw it fitted. I suspect he either stole it or knew who did!

For the replacement bike, I made a nice shear coupling for the main spar. Quite safe so long as the 'security pin' is in place. If not, the bike breaks in two when the load on it reaches a certain level. If it gets stolen, hopefully it will give someone a nice surprise!

Si

I don't know, i'm not so sure it's stolen.

Yes there's a chance it is but hell, we've got 3 or 4 rolling chassis at our place. The log books have long since been 'scrapped'.

No ID means no numberplate i assume. IF the chassis number is ground off then ok, i would be suspicious.

G

I would certainly want a good explanation and a written reciept (to cover me that I bought in good faith) to buy a chassis with no ID. As Zim says if the number has been ground off run a mile, use it on a road going vehicle and if it is picked up as being wrong then the vehicle is likely to be impounded and if the chassis is proven to come from a stolen vehicle the entire vehicle is likely to be seized. It could be there is a good reason it has no id and is legal I can think of a few ways this might happen but it is only fair to ask questions if the seller has good answers then all well and good if not leave.

If the vehicle has been officially scrapped then the chassis SHOULD have been destroyed, in practice if it is used for a purely off road build this is a technicality and not much of an issue, but what it can't be used for is a replacement for a vehcile that is going on road or being registered as this would create lots of legal issues with identity, which have been covered in other threads.

I have replaced the chassis on several vehicles over the years for myself and other's (with new Richards chassis) I always cut up the old chassis (thats all they are fit for at that stage anyway) and take photos to PROVE it was destroyed, never been questioned yet but it is good to be able to provide evidence if I am asked.

I was looking for a project in the summer and happened upon a 130 that was accident damaged, front impact that was quite severe!!! But apart from needing the front panels and a new engine and gearbox the rest of it was all there so I went to see it and walked away as soon as I saw how bad it was, I took the chassis number and spoke with a friend who is a policeman and he made a few inquiries into it and it was supposed to have been destroyed in February 2012, I showed him the original listing for it and he went to see the seller with some colleagues, and luckily for me I am not directly involved in the now ensuing prosecution of around 12 individuals and 3 companies for the selling of goods meant for disposal, the practice is so common here but it definitely is not accepted, so many of the parts are sold through the internet and often in to other countries where it's origination will never be known.

I cannot find it now but I did report a RHD white and blue striped liveried 90 that was for sale on the German Ebay, very suspicious as it had no papers and had already had the engine and drive train sold off, I am not a tell tale but I know how gutted I will be if one day I wake to find my car stolen from my property!!!

You'd think the police would have an ebay team; a few years ago I wanted to buy a lathe on ebay and I was bidding against one other bidder. I did some research on him to see what his bidding habits etc was. I was horrified to see he had bought all sorts of gun and gun making paraphernalia including bullet moulds for shotgun shells from the US, and also camouflage clothes, military radios and night vision goggles. Ok, there may have been an innocent explanation but it had to be worth checking out. The police weren't interested, couldn't see the possibility of any trouble resulting etc.

Holy mother of jesus H Christ, what the bloody hell is going on out there???

I am finding it hard to believe that some people are seriously trying this carry on!!! Anybody with an ounce of sense and a disliking to being rectally probed by the boys in blue while they begin routing around in your bowels to then begin investigating every single aspect of your life from taxes paid to the color of the diesel in your tank, advertising something like this is just asking to have your entire life history examined under a microscope, friends, acquaintences and business transactions, ebay selling history, and then having to find proof that what you are selling is legitimate goods!! The whole listing stinks from Cat B write off to 89' V5 and vin plate, that is advertizing fraud and fraudulent activities.

NOB ENDS!!!

What about this one. New chassis so no number or paperwork??

Yeh right, I believe you. :closedeyes:

http://www.ebay.co.u...d=190763375998

I would be inclined to ask them first if they have a receipt for the new chassis, or if not their details will be logged for invoicing by the manufacturer. Not saying they are not genuine but it does look to be all new stuff on it!! Ok axles are S/H but cost of new or rebuilt painted up ones are not exactly cheap!!

Message them asking for a receipt and see what you get back?

Looks like a stripped motor to me, who fits the PAS reservoir and exhaust etc to a new chassis before the rest of the motor is built. Also the chassis looks like an almost brand new take-off rather than an unused one.

Just had another look and I was wrong about the exhaust of course. Difficult to tell with it being wet, but if genuine, they could give a bit more information, ie is it a genuine LR chassis, which it appears to be, and that it would come with the original invoice.