what axles run backwards

dirtyninety

what about using reverse cut ring and pinion gears ...

and wow Rakeway might be able to machine some nice gear but web design is definitely not their thing ^_^

bit confusing isnt it lol,there normally pretty helpfull on the phone though

as for the reverse cut gears they dont change the direction the axle runs,its to do with the tooth contact between the crown wheel and pinion to make it stronger,some h/d crown wheel and pinion sets you buy (kam i think) will state front axle or rear because 1 set will be reverse cut (front i think) to give maximum strength from the contact of the gears,its just the way the teeth are cut but the crown wheel will still rotate the same way

you could turn the diff upside down in the axle. would just need 2 new cut out in the axle case flange and a new diff cover to alow the crown wheel clearence.

I'm pretty sure thats how Alvin Smith done his on the various StrangeRovers back in the 80's

seems the easiest way to me , all std parts etc etc

don't forget the build thread if you do it

cheers

Steveb

A reverse cut Front gear put into the rear is driving the opposite way to standard. It will achieve the same thing as turning the diff upside down. Turning the diff upside down is pikey and not at all helpful to lubrication of the tail bearing as the oil path is compromised IMHO. The axle direction is determined by the gearbox, turning the axle over isn't going to make the car drive the opposite direction! Maybe I'm missing the point I'm not sure :-)

So, if i use reverse rings and pinions and swap the diffs front to rear. Then switch the axle tubes left for right to get the diff at the correct side of the axle.

Seems a hell of a lot of work.

Im sure theyre is a jap or american axle, where the ring is already on the other side of the pinion with the correct cut.

So, that seems like a hell of a lot of work, and perhaps a little too much precision needed for myself to do it.

Other than the rakeway remote box, and the milner remote box is there any bolt on reverse direction replacement for the LT230?

.....The axle direction is determined by the gearbox, turning the axle over isn't going to make the car drive the opposite direction! Maybe I'm missing the point I'm not sure :-)

Erm ... it is isn't it? Surely turning the axle over is just effectively turning the diff upside down?

Turn axle upside down weld mounts on the other side and rotate the engine 180 degrees to fit in the back will sort the problem... If thinking of leaving engine facing forwards it'll be a little more complex....

Neil

What's wrong with flipping the axles ? That's what we're doing. Others have done so without problem.

The rakeway transfer box is nice but remote and only has one ratio. Fine if you use a 6L90 like saley, but it worried me with a 3 or 4 speed.

Milner also make a reverse.

OR

Use a normal transfer box, with a prop from what would normally be the front output to a remote rakeway transfer that is mounted at the front of the engine then to your axles. This will give you 2 ratios.

G

Back in my AWDC days, yes a long long time ago. It was common to do thiis. Yes you need to turn the diff upside down to effectively move the pinion to the other side of the crownwheel. The rear axle you can just flip over, because being at the other end of the car (what was the front) it will now have the diff on the correct side, then weld on new spring mounts etc. For the front axle you can do the same but you will then need to turn the swivel housings the other way up.

Unfortunately you will now need to park the car upside down on the ceiling to drain the oil :blush: