ibex 300 build

OM606 with an SD350 pump is the way to go. Simple. far too much power, but gentle with it. I think an OM650 with an OM 662 pump would be better, but brutal on the clutch

Mike, Rory is back in December, he has a need for some special fibreglass boaty tech, as he's now looking at racing Seagulls. I'm sure he would be happy to take a look (see re-build) your other lump. Alternatively, he can sort the cam on my old lump, you take that on (everything else has been re-built and it has the stage 2 head on) and you leave one of your here, for me/rory to re-build to give to Youngie as a return for letting me have my replacement engine...

Is that complicated?

Much as I'd love to put something else in time, cost and economy make it prohibitive. I've got to strip the other engine to rebuild it so the head has to come off anyway so I might as well put it on this engine for now. There is a machine shop 3 miles from my house so I'd be silly not to use them. Definitely could of done without this but I'll get it sorted. Just lucky I have a good friend with a spare car to get me out of the poo today.

Mike

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

Much as I'd love to put something else in time, cost and economy make it prohibitive. I've got to strip the other engine to rebuild it so the head has to come off anyway so I might as well put it on this engine for now. There is a machine shop 3 miles from my house so I'd be silly not to use them. Definitely could of done without this but I'll get it sorted. Just lucky I have a good friend with a spare car to get me out of the poo today.

Mike

It's nice to dream about modifications, but when time, money, facilities etc are tight, it's more of a nightmare. I actually have an engine and pump for my Disco, but I'll probably sell them next year. Mainly because I'd rather just drive something I know. I don't want the teething period. I don't want the resultant damage to the drive train (my LT77 has 132K on it now and I don't want to have to change it for a bit).

The offer on the 200Tdi's is open Mike. Not going to change for a while

• Like 4

14 hours ago, miketomcat said:

So I left for work this morning but all was not well. Every time I stopped at a junction I left a cloud of steam when I pulled away, I managed to lessen this by running with a loose pressure cap but safe to say it's dead. I've ordered another head gasket and I'll pull the head off the other engine (got to remove it for the rebuild anyway). Hopefully that'll sort it for now. I suspect I cracked the head somewhere in the inlet or exhaust tract when adding cold water to a hot engine in the Hebrides and didn't spot it before machining unfortunately.

Mike

Starting to sound like the saga of my 300TDi. That most likely had a cracked block.

@elbekko I don't think it's the block as cooling system seems to be at normal pressure. I think it's most likely a crack into the exhaust tract as again it seems to be running ok just doing an impression of a steam train.

At the moment I just need to get this one running because borrowing freinds or the wife's car is wearing thin. Once it's sorted then I'll workout what I'm going to do with the other one and what in need to achieve that.

Mike

• Like 2

Agree that an swap is not the right answer here as Mike runs a fleet of 200's, so if you swap one you'd have to swap both... and then you've all the joys of maintaining non-standard stuff, while not the worst thing ever it does add friction to the process... and Mike's abrasive enough already :SVAgoaway:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

I did think about it but at the end of the day it's a bodge. I can still drive it with the cap loose it's just a little smoke/steamy, as soon as another HG turns up I'll put the other head on. Then I can get some thinking time....... hopefully. :rofl:

Mike

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Agree that an swap is not the right answer here as Mike runs a fleet of 200's, so if you swap one you'd have to swap both... and then you've all the joys of maintaining non-standard stuff, while not the worst thing ever it does add friction to the process... and Mike's abrasive enough already :SVAgoaway:

That may be so but all 200s are getting long in the tooth nowadays so it's getting more and more difficult to maintain these.

38 minutes ago, Ed Poore said:

That may be so but all 200s are getting long in the tooth nowadays so it's getting more and more difficult to maintain these.

Reckon Mike could treat himself to a lot of shiny new 200 parts for the cost of a conversion or two though - and how old are 606's or SL35's now, and how is parts availability / pricing...

2 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Reckon Mike could treat himself to a lot of shiny new 200 parts for the cost of a conversion or two though - and how old are 606's or SL35's now, and how is parts availability / pricing...

True but I wasn't necessarily thinking about a 606 or SL35. Having said that pretty much everything else has electronics now so not really suitable for Mike :ph34r:

4 hours ago, Ed Poore said:

Not really. Very few parts are unavailable and where they are, there is a work round (like using 300 nozzles in 200 injectors). Most wearing parts are rebuildable, with rebuild kits available (like Vacuum pumps or oil pumps, although the latter should last a million plus miles). The engine itself is very, very simple and there are plenty of good machine shops willing to do work on them, becuase it's easy money. Most cracks in heads can now be chemically sealed or welded and the 200 was never as prone to them as the 300.  The 200 is simply a classic engine, with classic support

15 minutes ago, Nonimouse said:

Not really. Very few parts are unavailable and where they are, there is a work round (like using 300 nozzles in 200 injectors). Most wearing parts are rebuildable, with rebuild kits available (like Vacuum pumps or oil pumps, although the latter should last a million plus miles). The engine itself is very, very simple and there are plenty of good machine shops willing to do work on them, becuase it's easy money. Most cracks in heads can now be chemically sealed or welded and the 200 was never as prone to them as the 300.  The 200 is simply a classic engine, with classic support

Wouldn't surprise me if JLR started doing more significant parts for them again too. 

2 hours ago, Ed Poore said:

True but I wasn't necessarily thinking about a 606 or SL35. Having said that pretty much everything else has electronics now so not really suitable for Mike :ph34r:

That's the thing - pick something that's significantly better enough to be worth the cost of switching and the ongoing cost of maintenance of a non-standard setup... it's actually quite hard.

None of the LR lumps are the "best" engine out there but they're mostly very well fit for purpose, popular, and well supported with parts for the forseeable since there's so many out there in trucks that people are holding on to.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nonimouse said:

I personally prefer a 300 for reasons of availability and price of parts. And easy conversion.

Not aware of the head being more prone to problems?

Heads are available for a 300 for surprisingly little money:

China head:

Cylinder Head+Valves ERR5027 for Land Rover Defender 2.5L 300tdi Discovery NEW | eBay

London Head:

LAND ROVER DEFENDER 300TDI CYLINDER HEAD BUILT UP NEW - LDF500180COM | eBay

I am not 100%, but I think you can fit a 300 head on a 200?

Daan