Out and seen this...

Anderzander

Freewheel hubs on the rearmost axle suggest both rear axles are driven. Discreet winch (challenge vehicle inspired?). Built up rear crossmember.

All suggest some thought has gone into this.

It's surprising what services Tesco supplies nowadays!

Nice 'spot', thanks.

That is simply amazing!!!

Now to track them down and get them on here to do a thread on it's build :ph34r:

Looking very purposeful I might add with the spec-lift on the back. Really like what they did with the rear arches in the tub, looks very factory fitted.

It looks really good in the flesh. Unfortunately it went whilst I was using the cash machine, so I didn't get chance to talk or take more pictures.

Its definitely a driven rear axle - I saw that end of a prop shaft. The angle of which looked to be coming from where the other diff pan would be.

I wish if had a crawl around before going for the money now !

Not sure what diesel motor is in it - but it sounded chunky.

I think I'll try them for my next MOT.

So what is the preferred method of 6x6ness, if not a double pinion diff in axle 1?

For a tow truck, that is not likely to have a load sharing cross country suspension, the preferred method of driving the third axle is via a transfer case with synchronised twin rear output shafts, such as the LT95 unit fitted to powered trailer equipped 101 forward control LandRovers and Australian military 6x6 Landrovers. This system allows for the use of the stronger Salisbury diffs on both rear axles.

For vehicles fitted with Rover type diffs, a pinion housing mounted drop box drive splitter fitted to the leading diff and as supplied by Foley Special Vehicles is the preferred method.

Rover type diffs are too weak to expect the pinion on the leading diff to also effectively drive the rearmost axle. At any rate, crownwheel and pinions are made and lapped together as matched sets and it would be virtually impossible to set up the additional pinion depth and backlash exactly the same as the original, so the leading diff assembly would wear out faster if it didn't grenade before that.

Iirc it has a drive through middle diff ( double pinions on one crown wheel if my terminology is correct )

It's a tidy looking thing but with the speclift being rear mounted I bet it's a bitch to steer.

In that case it may be a Sandringham 6 .And a tow truck would be the most practical application for the Sandringhams 4 leaf spring non articulating suspension.

Looking through one of those links I arrived at http://www.landroverblogger.com/my-170-6x6-land-rover-where-were-at

This shows the drive throuh axle with the LT95 type adaptor.

Much confusion and conflicting evidence over the identity of this vehicle!

'My 170 6x6', I don't think that is the same truck Sid. At most it would be 130" WB front to rear. And the Thru Drive axle pictured isn't LT95 related.Simon CSK,Muddy, thrudrive diffs don't have the rear diff upside down, and if it was upside down then it is likely to be the bodgy 2 pinions- 1 crownwheel arrangement, which even when setup and submitted by Landrover themselves, lasted less than 24 hours under Australian Military testing of alternative drive methods before selecting the current system on the Army LandRover Perentie 6x6's. The thrudrive arrangement was deemed unsuitable also because of the relatively weak Rover type diff for a 2/3 ton capacity offroad vehicle, where twin Salisburies are necessary.