garage floor, what to cover it with?

Daan

We are moving early next year, so the problem of what to do with the garage floor raises its ugly head again.My current garage, about 7 years ago,i got some cheap floor paint, cleared the garage and painted it a few times with a roller on a stick. I left the truck outside for 3 days, than put everything back in. As is to be expected somehow, there are 4 nice simex shaped contact patches in the corners and several other places were the concrete shines through. Something a bit durable would be good, like this maybe:http://industrialflooringandroofing.co.uk/factoryflooring.html Has anyone experience with this kind of thing, price etc., all comments appreciated. Daan

Daan ,

If you want a coloured floor buy epoxy floor paint , it's quite expensive but is much better than the floor paint you get from your local DIY place.

Alternatively if you want to stop the dust and are not bothered about colour , proseal is very good and easy to apply ( just use a cheap garden sprayer and throw away when finished )

Proseal is made by sika , have used it on my new workshop floor and am really pleased with it

Hth

Gary

To answer your original question, ep90.. bits of gearboxes and general machine swarfe ....

However more usefully I'd suggest an epoxy screed running 4 inches up the wall which will seal the concrete, provide an excellent flat surface for trolley jack wheels and is much easier to clean down.

HTH

Regards Paul

2-part epoxy is the best way to seal a concrete floor; expensive though.

Another suggestion - don't paint the floor, rather go and speak to your local friendly equestrian-buildings-company and ask them about the different grades of 'stable-matting' - it's a tough ribbed cellular rubber which - if you lay it with the ribbed side facing _down_ leaves a smooth upper surface that's both wipe-clean and - for those times when you're spending an hour lying on your back wrestling with the grimy undersides of Solihull's finest - rather warmer than bare concrete.

See http://www.stablemats-online.co.uk/ for ideas?

2-part epoxy is the best way to seal a concrete floor; expensive though.

Another suggestion - don't paint the floor, rather go and speak to your local friendly equestrian-buildings-company and ask them about the different grades of 'stable-matting' - it's a tough ribbed cellular rubber which - if you lay it with the ribbed side facing _down_ leaves a smooth upper surface that's both wipe-clean and - for those times when you're spending an hour lying on your back wrestling with the grimy undersides of Solihull's finest - rather warmer than bare concrete.

See http://www.stablemats-online.co.uk/ for ideas?

That does look appealing. The garage range looks good.

I wonder how it would cope with trolley jacks, axle stands and the like?

That does look good ! Not badly priced either.

My floor is already stained by oil and waxoyl and the like - the hard bit is that it's turned into a workshop rather than a garage, so their would be a hell of a lot of stuff to take outside ...... But with matting I wouldn't have to wait for drying and could get the stuff back in straight away.

That does look good ! Not badly priced either.

My floor is already stained by oil and waxoyl and the like - the hard bit is that it's turned into a workshop rather than a garage, so their would be a hell of a lot of stuff to take outside ...... But with matting I wouldn't have to wait for drying and could get the stuff back in straight away.

I wonder would it ruck up and move about with a trolley jack?

ep90.. bits of gearboxes and general machine swarfe ....

That will happen at a later date!

The epoxy paint comment is a valid one, and it may wel go that route. Presumably the 70 odd pound is well spent if it lasts, rather than the previous attempt. The matting solution, not to sure at the moment. If you were to spill a large amount of oil for example, I doubt it will seal completely, unless it is one large mat that spans the entire garage. Plus the jack problem as mentioned. I found that with the previous floor, that a light colour is the future, for finding small fiddly bits once you dropped them on the floor. Alsolying under the car, you get a lot more light. I hadn't considered sealing the floor, but kind of expected that a reasonably thick layer of paint will take car of that. I am certainly going to get qoutes in from a few pro's at this kind of thing, and have the 2 pack epoxy paint up my sleeve as a budget solution.

Daan

i have JUST been looking into this myself. my workshop has a rough pebble mixed concrete surface and it has soaked up way too much oil so if i painted it now i fear it would just lift.

i have looked at matting and you can get special workshop matting, The stuff that they have on wheeler dealers. forget the name of the company but its in their credits. unfortunately whenever i have looked looks like their website is down. The thick smooth faced matting would be fine with a trolley jack ant tool chest etc, except i would like some stuff that interlocks so it doesent come up at the edges of each strip.

i have JUST been looking into this myself. my workshop has a rough pebble mixed concrete surface and it has soaked up way too much oil so if i painted it now i fear it would just lift.

i have looked at matting and you can get special workshop matting, The stuff that they have on wheeler dealers. forget the name of the company but its in their credits. unfortunately whenever i have looked looks like their website is down. The thick smooth faced matting would be fine with a trolley jack ant tool chest etc, except i would like some stuff that interlocks so it doesent come up at the edges of each strip.

Are you thinking of RaceDeck?

I've seen one race prep workshop done out in waterproof flooring grade chipboard which was then garage floor painted. Seemed to ignore oil and water spills, trolley jacks and axle stands quite well. Looked very smart and way cheaper than an epoxy coating that will get chipped at some stage

Hi, if your willing to pay the money for something to last you want to look into a epoxy flow. I work for a company that paint the garage floors for the F1 teams before the races. We use an epoxy resin less than 1mm thick. It looks great and will withstand any thing you spill on it and will take most things dropped on it but it can chip. You know when the cars with have been in with the jacks that shoot out the floor have been in as they chip it. A Flow can be 4mm -10mm thick and you have very little chance of chipping that. Hope that helps.

how much is this flow stuff generally per square foot?

i have a (very roughly) 15 by 30ft shed that i want a smooth (ish), easy to clean floor on which doesent produce dust like the concrete does

i would guess thats most guys requirements. It is not only a "LR Shed" but also the farms workshop and heavy engineering is undertaken in there. would it stand up to dropping heavy stuff onto it? i.e. a gearbox or something of the same kind of weight? (not that i plan on dropping gearboxes)

On the stable site, linked above, the product is only 3mm thick - so I can't imagine it would compress much under a jack or stand ?

It also says it doesn't need adhesive - do you think though that it might lift on its edges ?

I have some 22mm stable matting across part of the garage floor and it doesn't compress under a jack or engine crane.

It's very heavy and as a result lies flat, it's almost a struggle to pick it up!

On the downside it's quite expensive and still doesn't stop dust from the unprotected bits of the floor but has proved very resistant to oil/brake fluid/various chemicals.

If I hadn't been given the stuff for free then i would probably go for the epoxy version because it would seal the dust in and can be cleaned with a hosepipe.

hi i can get inexpensive used conveyer belting its very hard wearing is smooth so ideal for trolley jacks etc and can be easily cleaned its around five foot wide length can be whatever you need.we use it on tops of work tables workshop floors etc.

Don't forget welding and grinding discomikey.

But of Course! :)

im looking at floor tiles and i estimate it to be between 300 and 600 depending on the supplier.

so if i can get a durable coating to beat 300 then i would consider going that route, only if it can be guaranteed to not lift and crack especially as my concrete is already oil soaked haha

I tried a few different textured floor paints where the forklifts come into the warehouse as when its wet its like they're on ice. It's a power floated floor that's been sealed and everything I tried just rubbed off. In the end I shelled out for some firwood paint. It's a resin and a colour then you can mix the grit in or not depending what texture you want. I also bought the degreaser and an agent that cuts into the existing floor to give it a key. It's been there a year and there are no signs of flaking yet. I made sure I did it on a summer shutdown so the floor would be warm and there would be no traffic over it for a few days.

Alternatively Costco have got some rubber matting on a roll with a chequer plate type finish.

But of Course! :)

im looking at floor tiles and i estimate it to be between 300 and 600 depending on the supplier.

so if i can get a durable coating to beat 300 then i would consider going that route, only if it can be

guaranteed to not lift and crack especially as my concrete is already oil soaked haha

When Williams had the fire in the garage after the Spanish grand prix the floor was hardly effected it will with stand grinding sparks and weld splatter but it's way above £600.