Defender too curvy for you?

TSD

What ever comes out of Land Rover.

1 I won't be able to afford to buy it.

2 I won't be able to maintain it.

Linked from the mikeno website, the german magazine OffRoad is claiming £29300 for the 108" 5 door, and availability Autumn 2014.

LR seem to have hidden the current price lists, but I reckon that's about the same as a 110 County SW?

I could beleive the price, but with no photos published, I'd take some convincing on the delivery date!

Does Mikeno really exists? In late 60s Rover/Land Rover created the brand "VELAR" and badged with this brand the first Range Rovers protos. That way the motor press never knew nothing about the new Land Rover until it was launched. Is the Mikeno the new Defender in disguise?

No as in the silly l/100m the foreigners use?

Google is your friend. 30 mpg (~200 Tdi's batting average) is about 9.41 l/100 km. Just remember that US Gallons are smaller than UK (imperial) Gallons, so you can't compare US consumption figures without converting first. Schoolboy error that many, many motoring journalists make.

As for fully indy suspension. If they pull it off on a utilitarian truck...sign me up, but if it was easy, someone would have done it by now. And yes, add me to the 'real life' prototype club, not Solidworks models

Am I missing something here? This thing basically IS a (fugly) DC100 - the DC100 re-uses the (generally pretty good) FL2/Evoque platform which is FWD, transverse engine with haldex clutch to engage the rear wheels as required, independent suspension, much lighter than a Defender (minus the extra soft furnishings), smaller & more efficient modern diesel, etc. etc...

So when LR suggest it they're a bunch of know-nothing heathens who are ruining all that is sacred, some muppet with a CAD package renders a gopping ugly concept picture and it's a great idea!

:stirthepot: right back at ya! :P

Yeap I like square edges if they built the concept Dc100 square, I'd be into it a lot more.... :popcorn-and-drink-smiley-emotic

From my point of view, the design is an integral part of why I like the Defender. It's not all about how it looks, but how its design improves function.

The boxy design means that when you load the back up there was no wasted space. The square front is brilliant for judging distance when winding through trees. The bumper and flat wings give easy and safe access to the roof rack. Etc.

It looks a lot like freelander type drive train , far too fragile for a defender type usage, wrong suspension , unless you want a quashkai type vehicle , bad space utilisation , looks like a cross between a G wagon and a haflinger in many ways . trying to look a lot tougher than it would turn out to be , just another soft roader :(

Now be fair - the Defender drivetrain is too fragile for Defender type usage too.

That's why I like Defenders so much ! They don't instil a sense of ' I gotta have one' in me, so I don't waste precious financial resources on buying one when say an earlier 4 speed County or even RangeRover Classic would tick more of the important boxes for a lot less money.

Defender type body with a Freelander type power train? No low box and only six speeds but that might be okay if they're spaced out a bit or if it's effectively a 5 speed with a very low optional first. 2WD must be front only, which seems weird for a biggish car but would be okay in practice. Locking rear diff at least. Looks like an Opel badge on the engine. I do like the concept, even if it is a bit garish. Hang on, didn't someone have a concept like this about 66 years ago? Though this could be much cheaper to build. I'd imagine fuel consumption would be very speed dependant!

It looks a lot like freelander type drive train , far too fragile for a defender type usage, wrong suspension , unless you want a quashkai type vehicle , bad space utilisation , looks like a cross between a G wagon and a haflinger in many ways . trying to look a lot tougher than it would turn out to be , just another soft roader :(

But for 99% percent of offroaders you see on the road, thats all they will ever need. Even Defenders, you know instantly whether it has seen offroad in its life, or is just a 'could be' offroader. Hell, landrover now sells 2WD evoques, its all about an image you create with your vehicle.