Where do I find the pic of the 1930's style roadster on RRC chassi

I thought I'd saved it , but haven't , Bill the one you are thinking of had cycle mudguards on the front and a bonnet just over the engine? with louvres

in the sides ?

can't remember what thread it appeared in but def been on here

cheers

Steveb

Being based on LandRover mechanicals we could name it $hitty $hitty Bang Boom.

Wonder if the swear filter will let that stay up ?

sponsored by that really good quality spare parts company which everyone in the LR world has come to know and love.... the one in the blue boxes... whatzit called...

hat, coat, sorry, gone haha

sponsored by that really good quality spare parts company which everyone in the LR world has come to know and love.... the one in the blue boxes... whatzit called...

hat, coat, sorry, gone haha

It would be painted Blue then, so this picture must have been taken before the sponsorship deal.

• 5 months later...

Due to my laptop dying a couple of months ago and being short of the readies, I have been offline for a while. To fill in my idle hours I decided to bite the bullet and begin a project that is tenuously related to the subject of this thread.

I got hold of a very rust free and tidy for its age, 1950 Vauxhall Velox saloon, stripped the running gear and front subframes out of it and began fitting the body shell onto the rolling chassis of a 1978 RangeRover, after obtaining official engineering approval in principal for the swap. The Vauxhall had a wheelbase of 98 " vs the RR's 100", but the Vaux's bulbous mudguards easily swallowed up the difference after a spot of trimming.. The Vaux wheel track width however, at 51" on skinny 5.90" tyres " vs RR's 58.5" required that the rear mudguards be widened out by 4" each. I was able to get away up front by leaving the mudguards attached at the bulk head and spreading the front of the guards further apart, unbolting the two halves of the bonnet ,which Vauxhall Motors conveniently split longditudally, and fitting a tapered filler panel to the gap. I now only require a narrow rubber lip on the outside of the guards to legally cover 235-85 x 16" tyres on Disco rims. The engineer said he would approve up to 34 " tyres if I wish.

To mount the body shell as low as possible on the chassis, I had to cut a bloody great hole in the floor to provide room for the massive LT95 4 speed gearbox and transfer case , and building a transmission cover for this whilst giving sufficient room to operate the clutch and brake pedals in such a narrow cabin has provided the biggest challenge thus far, but i am getting there slowly. There is still a mountain of work to do in order to comply with some of the Australian Design Rules that the engineer requested that i do, and in my old age I have tended to go a bit hot or cold on projects, so I may not actually complete this one, but if I can maintain some enthusiasm after summer i hope to have the vehicle on the road and registered by the time I retire in August and drive it up to Cape York Peninsula, possibly the only Vauxhall to ever see that part of the world . I remain quite hopeless at posting photos to forums, but if anyone is interested they can go to my Timeline (William Larman) on face book for a few progress pics. some here should refrain from having breakfast ,lunch or dinner before viewing the pics :blush:

Also nice to see it doesn't just rain on us in the UK that are using the 'outside workshop' ;)

Yes I had the choice of working in a shed down the bottom of my property, but security from thieves is an issue when I am away at work, not only for the vehicle, but for my generator set and power tools as well, so i work out in the open up a steepish hill beside my cabin, the access to which many people find a daunting prospect to drive up to . It has cost me a small fortune in fish oil and other rust preventive sprays to keep corrosion at bay whilst I do all the cutting/welding etc.

It was looking really good until you put a flat spreader strip in the rear guards , it spoils the balance , as there is no compatibility with the rest of the lines of the car , needs some sort of curved infill , JMHO

How long were Vauxhall in Australia , before Holden took that market ?