Driving licence changes

Bingy

the paper part has long been redundant, it doesnt matter whats on it, they wont believe it and only trust what their database says. i need to update my address on my license, i think i'll wait til 2015 now!

Just be careful: I know of a few of us older types who - when switching from the traditional green-paper DLs to the photocard variety because they'd changed address - found that they'd somehow lost a number of historic driving-class entitlements on the newly-issued licence.

"Trust - but Verify", as Ronald Reagan said. It'd be a shame to discover DVLA had made an upbuggerage at a roadside checkpoint.

Just be careful: I know of a few of us older types who - when switching from the traditional green-paper DLs to the photocard variety because they'd changed address - found that they'd somehow lost a number of historic driving-class entitlements on the newly-issued licence.

"Trust - but Verify", as Ronald Reagan said. It'd be a shame to discover DVLA had made an upbuggerage at a roadside checkpoint.

I still have my paper only licence. Hope they haven't messed up my entitlements.

I still have my paper only licence. Hope they haven't messed up my entitlements.

Another paper only licence here too.

I followed the link given by Bingy, to verify that the DVLA agree with what I think I have, and they do!

Phew.

I know on one person who lost his motorcycle entitlement in the change to a photo-card type licence, and was unable to get it re instated. He gave up in the end and sold his bike rather than keep prodding the faceless bureaucracy. :angry2:

I've just visited the website and taken a pdf of my entitlements - just in case of future dispute. My motorcycle license still states "unlimited" and I can still drive vehicles with up to 16 passengers (plus tractor and mower).

I regularly hire cars in Spain when travelling with work> Wonder whether they have access to the DVLA database, because they still ask for the paper part to the photocard?

Good tip though, when using a credit card in Spain they usually ask to see the identity card the Spaniards have to carry. I use my photo driving license. Saves having to carry your passport.

We had to sign a mandate to allow our company fleet operator to access our DVLA records, we used to submit or licences and paper counterpart annually but there were allegedly a few naughty people that had clean duplicates to submit. Using that link at least I can check what information the DVLA hold against me is correct!

Hmm, mine states: Vehicles you can drive: Group A

Yep, thats what it says on my 1984 issued green licence

however. In the bunf that follows it reads

"You can drive vehicles up to 3,500kg Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) carrying no more than 8 passengers and driver with trailer up to 750kg; trailer over 750kg if combined vehicle and trailer weight isn’t more than 3,500kg MAM; Vehicles between 3,500kg and 7,500kg carrying no more than 8 passengers and a driver with trailer up to 750kg; Vehicles between 3,500kg and 7,500kg carrying no more than 8 passengers and a driver with trailer over 750kg if combined vehicle and trailer weight isn’t more than 8,250; Vehicles with up to 16 passenger seats and a driver with trailer up to 750kg;"

So something there is wrong!!! I have been driving 15-18 seat minibuses and towing 3.5 tonne trailers behind a LR for the past 30 years. What does Group A state on someone elses licence from the mid 80s???

The trailer part is ok...your train weight won't exceed 8250kg with the landy and trailer. You can also drive a 7.5t vehicle with a trailer too (albeit only 750kg trailer weight). Pretty sure my MAM was 12000kg on my licence for vehicle+trailer.

As for driving 18 seat minibuses I've no idea. My licence was issued 1990 and has always been 16 seat stipulation for minibuses.

the paper part has long been redundant, it doesnt matter whats on it, they wont believe it and only trust what their database says. i need to update my address on my license, i think i'll wait til 2015 now!

I have tow copies of the paper counterpart and both are different but both still valid. :hysterical:

I had to update my license ten years ago when changing my address.

At the time there was a lot of confusion, many people "lost" their motorcycle entitlement.

When my updated license returned, I still had my motorcycle license and was given a Class 1 and Class 2 HGV.

I've not returned or questioned the change as I do not want lose the motorcycle part as some of my friends have lost.

SWB.

It's as clear as mud...if you have a "B" category only then you are correct...the trailer can't weigh more than the car...but the "BE" category allows for combined weight of car and trailer over 3500kg...which is where a landy and a nice sized trailer comes in.

Nope, I only have A (Licences issued between 1976 and 1986) and there is nothing under A to suggest I would be entitled to drive a LR with a trailer of more than 1.5 tonnes. Now I know I can as I have been for 30 years, as has everyone else I know who passed their test way back then. Just seems very strange that there is no reference to it anywhere on that website