Replacement breaker bar heads

Retroanaconda

Evening all. I have a breaker bar which I got from Halfords a fair while ago, unfortunately I broke the end part trying to undo a trailer hub nut - when I went to the local store they had replacement heads but for a different style of bar. It seems they have changed the design.

Does anybody know if it's possible to source a new piece as per below from elsewhere?

post-10578-0-18234400-1419367162_thumb.jpg

as i learned a few months ago you have to be lucky even if you keep receipt - thermal type receipts naturally fade over time! to point when almost invisible.

so now scan receipt into pc and keep as file as well as origonal.

Which they wont accept because it's not the original - even when backed up by a faded bit of thermal till receipt. Threatening to call trading standards however changed their mind!

When the item was bought, there was (and still is) no mention of keeping the receipt. As the guarantee is lifetime, the date does not matter - and the goods are clearly made by Halfords. I think they know they would loose if it went to court!

I used to buy a lot of Halfords tools - which were very good. I've only ever broken one extension bar and I accept that was my fault. More recent purchases however have been less good. I bought a medium size combo set to keep in the 110 and something breaks almost every time I use the set. It's part of their professional range - but complete rubbish! I don't even care about the warranty - just that the tools will not break when you really need them. I don't think its a coincidence that the warranty has been tightened at the same time as the quality has changed.

Si

Ahh, you require the receipt for the guarantee to be valid (how many receipts can one keep in a toolbox)

never had that problem, usually pretty good on their word too, theyre not meant to warranty ratchets or ratchet spanners but they didnt complain when i asked to replace a 13mm ratchet spanner.

a mate had a ratchet break too, they didnt have the right one in stock so he got the long handle one as an "upgrade",

maybe they will just replace with the new type completely

Which they wont accept because it's not the original - even when backed up by a faded bit of thermal till receipt. Threatening to call trading standards however changed their mind!

When the item was bought, there was (and still is) no mention of keeping the receipt. As the guarantee is lifetime, the date does not matter - and the goods are clearly made by Halfords. I think they know they would loose if it went to court!

I used to buy a lot of Halfords tools - which were very good. I've only ever broken one extension bar and I accept that was my fault. More recent purchases however have been less good. I bought a medium size combo set to keep in the 110 and something breaks almost every time I use the set. It's part of their professional range - but complete rubbish! I don't even care about the warranty - just that the tools will not break when you really need them. I don't think its a coincidence that the warranty has been tightened at the same time as the quality has changed.

Si

could be due to a supplier change, i am waiting on a 3/8" wobble extension i wore out, theyre (Kobalt tools) moving facilities or something or other so a bit of a backlogue on ordered parts. bit miffed on that one but they let me keep my old tools, so i can still use it even if the sockets keep falling off haha

• 4 weeks later...

I finally remembered to stick the thing in the car and take it into the local Halfords. I'm pleased to report that the chap in there seemed to have no qualms in ordering me a new style 24" bar (unfortunately none in stock today), no request for receipt at all. Not bad given that it's 7 years old and has seen some 'heavy use' - with some very much out with its design parameters I would say.

He said that the first time you break one you get a new bar, the subsequent times just the head, but I'm not sure whether that's a Halfords policy or just his musings.

Clarkes Pro breakeer bar from Machine Mart also cimes with a lufe time garantee as does a lot of their clarkes pro tools, the guy there told me unlike halfords clarkes pro tools garantee the moving parts too.

Worth a look plus a few quid cheaper than halfords, i have the clarkes pro 1/2" drive by 24" long breaker bar and found it to be sound.

I finally remembered to stick the thing in the car and take it into the local Halfords. I'm pleased to report that the chap in there seemed to have no qualms in ordering me a new style 24" bar (unfortunately none in stock today), no request for receipt at all. Not bad given that it's 7 years old and has seen some 'heavy use' - with some very much out with its design parameters I would say.

He said that the first time you break one you get a new bar, the subsequent times just the head, but I'm not sure whether that's a Halfords policy or just his musings.

'heavy use'

would one of these heavy uses be smashing it against the chassis to undo your crank pulley nut?

I had used it for that once, though it never smashed against the chassis as I made sure it was restrained in position. More recently I have used the proper holding tool to restrain the engine and then a bar to undo the nut.

The 'heavy use' I referred to was application of an extension bar to attempt to remove a hub nut from my trailer - this is what broke the bar, perhaps not suprisingly.

If anybody's getting into more regular fixing then a long flexible head ratchet is a fantastic tool and more versatile than a breaker bar, I have a set of long snap on ones in 1/4 3/8 and 1/2, if that looks like it's bending a lot then its time to move onto 3/4" stuff which isn't always as expensive as people think.

Will.