Recommend An Oil Filter Removal Tool

stuck

Search for these on ebay.

14 PIECE 3/8TH PROFESSIONAL OIL FILTER REMOVAL PULLER ADAPTER TOOL KIT SET

Sorry I couldn't do a link.

They are basically giant sockets.

I'm not endorsing the ebay ones they don't look great but will work well for occasional use.

I normally buy vehicle/filter size specific quality ones that cost as much each as the set on ebay.

Put the correct size on the filter and add extensions, or not, to turn.

Easy.

Just like giant sockets. No slack no fiddly winders to tighten, no rubber belt to loop over.

Just pop your ratchet in.

All the ones with handles do not work in a confined space.

The webbing strap ones are actually really good if you've got enough room ( and three hands )to wind them tight enough to grip.

I hate to say it (but I will) this seems to cover every type as worth buying!

A more useful comment though, I had a chain one and it either slipped until it crushed and gripped or there was no room for it, I now have the draper one for socket drivers, it is very fiddley but eventually works. The most reliable as tought by a garage was the messy but usually effective screwdriver method!

Marc

After a day spent swearing at shock absorbers last week, I've just bought an metal handled version of the Boa that Steve200tdi linked above. The plastic handled ones can twist annoyingly when you're pushing the limits - though I'm only replacing mine because I cant find it :blush:

Must admit though, I've never used a wrench of any kind on an oil filter, just a firm hand grip and harsh language, occasional aided by a bit of emery cloth.

On the 110 I've only ever needed a firm hand to remove the filter, back when I had my motorbike on the road the spin on oil filter was much harder to remove. I've used the cloth type rrr47 said not to buy ... it broke the first time I tried using it! So I'll agree with that.

I've got the same (Sykes Pickavant) It has a 3/8" drive - and came with a 3/8 - 1/2" adaptor. The beauty of it is that when fitted onto a 1/2" extension I can reach up and undo the oil filter on my 300Tdi without any fuss, it will undo as well as tighten, brilliant tool !!

Only use my hand to change the LR oil filter..... Mainly because i only screw it on till it starts to firm up then leave it at that, also put a bit of oil on the rubber seal first, this is how the manual recommends and to be honest i have never had a problem removing my Defenders oil filter....so i guess maybe dont over do it when putting them on is the answer? Works for me.

It rather depends what engine you're dealing with. On a V8 the filter is easy to get two hands on. On the old turbo D 90 we had, it was a real pain to undo, being tucked high up between the side of the engine and chassis. I don't think I ever got that filter off without piercing it, until the arrival of the SP tool.

On my V8 I used to try to get the longer filter rather than the newer short one, with this oiling the seal and the inertia of the filter when spinning it on was enough to make it difficult to remove some times.

Lubing the ring (can I say that) actually makes it more difficult to remove as the oil allows it to go tighter easier then dries out over time!

Moderm filter locations are a nightmare as far as I can see fron working on a 110 at Jason's a few years ago!

Getting it off was fiddly but not too bad, getting it back on I almost walked away a few times!!

Marc

I've got the same (Sykes Pickavant) It has a 3/8" drive - and came with a 3/8 - 1/2" adaptor. The beauty of it is that when fitted onto a 1/2" extension I can reach up and undo the oil filter on my 300Tdi without any fuss, it will undo as well as tighten, brilliant tool !!

agree thats the type I've settlled on although the plastic and rubber whip type is handy for shocks ..

I never use the tool to fit them though and that way I can always get em off by hand next time.

Proper filter spanner for Td5, is about a tenner from britpart, if you can get in then the chain whip irwin vice grips Will grip/crush anything, I have the draper expert fabric strap and that's what gets used most at work on the tractors, not snapped it in about three years, that's probably a lot of filters if I counted up.

Will.

..... I have the draper expert fabric strap and that's what gets used most at work on the tractors, not snapped it in about three years, that's probably a lot of filters if I counted up.

Will.

Really? I must have had a duff one then because the stitching tore out on the first filter I tried to undo with mine :(

I've tried the chain one first, seem to just crush the filters to oblivion most of the time, got a plastic belt and handle one, seemed ok (can never find the damn thing when I want it thought).

In the end I got one of those 3 pronged ones that uses a 3/8" socket and its been brilliant + I can always find it in the socket section of my tool chest. (same as I posted above + Maverik posted). Great with a breaker bar as it gets in any angle even though you shouldn't need the force.

I follow the instructions when putting them on -> touch / smear of oil on the seal, put it on till the seal touches the face then 1/4 turn by hand.

The problem comes when getting the thing off as I like my engine warm so the oil flows better, too damn warm for me to hand undo the filter hence a drive of some sort. I've had a few oil filters installed by what must be a gorilla considering I've ended up totally destroying the can getting them off, although when I do the next oil change I don't have the problem again.

Really? I must have had a duff one then because the stitching tore out on the first filter I tried to undo with mine :(

This is mine http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Draper-Oil-Fuel-Filter-Removal-Tool-Strap-Wrench-56137-/361198208198?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item54191744c6

it does feel stretchy from time to time but touch wood has never pigged on me. A sharp tap with a hammer around the topmost ring always helps to free them off, john Deere powerquad filters are a nightmare form this as they have a 1/2" drive in the bottom and people over tighten them and access is limited.

Will.

I use my hands, only ever had one or two that have been torqued up so much that they couldn't be undone with a firm grip and some anglo saxon, and those got attacked with whatever was to hand around the workshop.
I do own a chain type strap wrench but it's rubbish, not sure it's ever successfully undone anything but it's definitely f***ed up a few things in trying. :rolleyes: