Thor's Hammer - quad-turbo rover V8 / lotus quad-cam, um, thing...

This is just too silly not to share, he never really explains why he's doing it this way but you've got to admire the effort / batsh*t insanity of the whole endeavour:

http://www.speedhunters.com/2015/03/thors-hammer-the-mg-gt3s-accelerated-evolution/ and http://www.speedhunters.com/2014/09/im-sorry-youre-going-mgb/

The aim is a high-revving, four-valve-per-cylinder, quad-cam V8, strong enough to take a pair of turbos further down the line and 650hp per side. Fitting the two major parts together would be a challenge. The bolt patterns were completely different, the cams in different places, they had different firing orders… the list goes on.

MG_GT3-004-680x453.jpg

Didn't realise he had got so far, knew of the project from years back, like Ross, but assumed it had disappeared into the ether.

I do wonder if it might have been better to start with an engine that would do that kind of power without too much difficulty, like a race-proven Lexus V8 instead, or even just an LS3 with twin turbos.

I guess it is just one of those 'because I can' projects though :)

650 per side is not out of the realms of possibility, the Audi 5 cylinder 20V turbos have been known to make over 1000BHP from 2.3 litres...

And even the lowly VW group 1.8T engine over 900BHP :)

Kinda similar to the mad Mini project on YouTube that we love to follow.

I get that the engineering challenges can lead you astray etc. but surely a 3.5 Lotus or bike engine based V8 would have been better as he wants an engine to rev like a bike engine that normally means a flat plane crank which the Lotus V8 has.

Then again who doesn't love the mad bike engines that have been created in UK garages, Kwak Zed V12. 5 cylinder Kwak two stokes, V twin BSA, Enfield and Nortons.

As I'm on an i thingy I did not read it all so what country is this in?

So mad and misguided maybe but fair play to him.

Marc

I get that the engineering challenges can lead you astray etc. but surely a 3.5 Lotus or bike engine based V8 would have been better as he wants an engine to rev like a bike engine that normally means a flat plane crank which the Lotus V8 has.

The article did mention a custom crank, so maybe it's a flat-plane RV8?

Yes RV8 heads are where you spend the money if you want outright performance, Wildcat heads were the best you could get, but they are new castings/billet (I forget) and a lot taller, and most noticeably a lot freer flowing.

What I didn't realise was Wildcat engineering has been acquired by ACR Automotive! http://www.automotivecomp.com/news.html

ÂŁ11k is not as much as I thought it would be fro 400BHP from a RV8.... still, it would be a lot cheaper to get it from a modern aluminium V8 with a turbo or two.

Yup, that'd be a flat plane crank :)

Did you know, Audi took their stock V8 cranks, which aren't flat plane, clamped them all which ways from sunday, and then squashed them in a press to create a flat plane crank so they should take it racing in the DTM? There was a load of controversy over it, because the other manufacturers couldn't believe it could be done, but Audi proved them all wrong.

Musta been pretty strong :)

I liked the story of early BMW turbo F1 engines, take a road going four pot block and leave it out in the rain for a year or two and alledegedly the worker uesed to p*ss on it as well?

So back on topic as I said, Lotus already made a flatplane crank V8 that was fine for GT1 racing so why do all this?

Off topic again ish, I once saw a road going Elise GT1 in the car park at Brands, it was one of seven GT1's made to be raced and rebuilt by a private owner completed from spares. He valued it at ÂŁ1M as he thought only three remained, but then he would I guess?

Marc.