BUGGER

JeffR

So the family hack has just returned home via the big yellow taxi.... It runs (200Tdi) for a few minutes then dies - lift pump? If you wait a while it starts no problem, runs for a while , then expires. Can I replace the lift pump with an electric one (a facet designed for Minis) or will the pressure from a lecky one bugger up the FIP?

I wouldn't say that it's going to be the lift pump. As long as no air has been introduced into the fuel system, then the engine starts and runs fine, with no real difference apart from at higher revs, when the engine feels like it's holding back. Check basic things, such as fuel filter.

Les

Jeff - i don't think the lift pump is the problem, but if you do replace it, there is some chat about it here http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=87247 . After fitting my facet, i occasionally forget to turn it on and you wouldn't really know that you hadn't (it will still reach 80 without it turned on!). In my limited experience, the only time lift pump failure has really caused an issue is if it is leaking (had it where it poured out of the bottom of the lift pump before) and diesel can't be drawn through it by the FIP.

The facet doesn't appear to have any detrimental affect on the FIP either with the extra flow/pressure - some suggest it is actually a good thing for cooling the FIP.

Jeff - i don't think the lift pump is the problem, but if you do replace it, there is some chat about it here http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=87247 . After fitting my facet, i occasionally forget to turn it on and you wouldn't really know that you hadn't (it will still reach 80 without it turned on!). In my limited experience, the only time lift pump failure has really caused an issue is if it is leaking (had it where it poured out of the bottom of the lift pump before) and diesel can't be drawn through it by the FIP.

The facet doesn't appear to have any detrimental affect on the FIP either with the extra flow/pressure - some suggest it is actually a good thing for cooling the FIP.

Lift pump which is on is of unknown origin, power has been getting less and less over a period of time and yes the fuel filter is about 2K overdue for a change, oh and the wife let the diesel level get very low, so ... watch this space, and listen for a very loud collection of expletives being deleted!

whereas my 200tdi wont go above idle with no lift pump connected... weird.

I suspect the filter or the tank breather. Try running it with the filler cap off first and see what happens. If that makes no difference, then go for the filter. I doubt runnin out of fuel would have harmed the pumps.

The plot thickens...... So filter changed primed and the bugger fired up first turn of the button. Off for a wee blast and it's going great for exactly 1.3 miles then it slowly dies. Wait a few minutes and off we go again, 1.3 miles later it slowly dies. Wait a minute or two, pull the connector off the solenoid and open bleed screw on filter housing and there's air in there, spin engine over, reconnect stop solenoid and off we go, 1.3 miles later........

So somewhere the bloody thing is sucking air, time for a re-plumb , now where did I put that 8mm copper fuel line.

I've seen a disco do this before. Where the plastic fuel line comes up to the lift pump it passes very close to something (another line, wiring, steering etc) and had slowly rubbed through just enough to suck in the tinyest amount of air. Didn't leak any diesasel out tho...

Sadly the sedimenter was removed by one of the previous owners, so one less thing to worry about. having found 25ft of 8mm copper fuel line , my job tomorrow is a complete re-plumb, then when that fails , a gallon of unleaded, box of Swan Vestas and a barbecue.....

• Like 1

Going back to the OP, I've had a terrible experience with Delphi lift pumps over the last couple of years. Having done something like 200 K kms, with the original pump, I then had to fit two replacements within 6 months - about 30K kms total. When I suffered failures I just re-routed the extended fuel lines to the electric pump I now have permanently installed. The FIP doesn't seem to have noticed any difference, BUT - I may live to regret this assumption!!

Mike