whats the benefits of fitting a discovery transfer box in a 110

You just use different gears..... It does not change the power output.

You only need to be worried about hill starts when loaded. If you are okay with low box starts on a steep hill then it is fine.

Consumption can be better if you don't drive faster. It let's you go faster.

I thought long and hard about this and decided on the overdrive route, I didn't want to compromise on the towing ability of the truck... There are plenty of accounts of the pro's and con's of this if you stick it into Google.

I have a discovery tgb in my 90 which is a 300tdi edis (slightly higher power ) running on 265/75r16 BFG MT it is an auto , so the higher gearing doesn't detract from ability to pull away from stop (due to torque converter) . Its best use is on dual carriageways or motorways allowing a low rpm relaxed feeling cruise , also the auto part is very good in town. It is not at its best in hills or when towing ,some of this is due to change points on the auto , but the main thing is down to its 1.2 is overgeared , I am somewhat torn between leaving as is due what i do mostly with it, and fitting a 1.4 (which i have sat in garage) . If i didn't have my 110 to do the heavy towing i would have probably changed it .JMHO

when i first purchased my 300 ti Defender, I put in a 1.2 ratio transfer box as I mistakenly thought that it would improve the vehicles cruising ability.

I found that to be the case when going down hill, very pleasant!

A completely different story when approaching anything larger than a speed bump, it was horrendous, never away from changing down the box, struggling to gain momentum. On the few occasions that I tried towing, 3rd gear was the most I could ever manage!

My vehicle has an Allisport larger intercooler, modified pump and a variable vane turbo.

I took it out and replaced it with the standard gearing.

An overdrive is on the cards when funds allow.

I know that it is personal choice but I would recommend steering well clear of this option, especially where hills and towing is involved.

This conversion is fine for Td5 engines as they have lots more power available, not to mention tuning suitability.

Just my own opinion of course :)

If you are not doing lots of travelling on main roads in 5th you will probably not see the benefit , only the negative of more use of the gearbox , more so when towing 2.5t trailers .

Having said that , I have been running a 1.2 TB for 11 years now in my 109sw which weighs 2.5t (cage , hyd winch long range tanks etc) including towing 3.5t trailer and have got on really well with it , it seems to suit my driving style and expectations .

On a trip to the Charente in France towing a fully loaded Ifor 3.5t trailer it returned 28mpg over 700miles and on the way back solo it went up to 32mpg and another trip to Poland I averaged 33mpg over 2700miles - best ever !

Engine is a bog std 200tdi with either 255/85 -16 BFG MT's or 235/85-16 AT's

cheers

Steveb

"it seems to suit my driving style and expectations..."

You have a point there.

We also run a 90 with a 200 Tdi and I keep comparing those two and perhaps I should not do that.

I'm in the Alps this Summer for a few weeks with clients and we'll see how it goes. I do have a 1.66 : 1 here but that is really short.

But pulls very well.

If you are not doing lots of travelling on main roads in 5th you will probably not see the benefit , only the negative of more use of the gearbox , more so when towing 2.5t trailers .

Having said that , I have been running a 1.2 TB for 11 years now in my 109sw which weighs 2.5t (cage , hyd winch long range tanks etc) including towing 3.5t trailer and have got on really well with it , it seems to suit my driving style and expectations .

On a trip to the Charente in France towing a fully loaded Ifor 3.5t trailer it returned 28mpg over 700miles and on the way back solo it went up to 32mpg and another trip to Poland I averaged 33mpg over 2700miles - best ever !

Engine is a bog std 200tdi with either 255/85 -16 BFG MT's or 235/85-16 AT's

cheers

Steveb

Is that on 4.7 diffs though Steve?

no , 3.54's and LT77/230 combo . As I said you lose a bit on low speed torque but gain with less noise at main road speeds . Interestingly in fifth 45 - 65 mph takes the engine from the peak torque rpm at 45/50 up to peak power rpm at 65/70 so it should be optimum set up

.........of course it's still only 110 bhp , so in my case at 45bhp/tonne it's never going to damage the tarmac :D

cheers

Steveb

Well thanks for all the info guys taking everything into account I think I will be sticking with the original transfer box and putting my complete disco 300 r380 box up for sale so if anyone in spain needs 1 call me

thanks again guys

I fitted one to my 200tdi 110 as I do a lot of motorway driving. It's quieter which was nice but... well painful up hills etc. I have recently tweaked the fuel pump and it's now a different vehicle. Lovely to drive, and I'm trying to sound proof it so the relaxed gearing is helpful.

If you do lots of 50mph plus driving and give it a little tune up I would definitely recommend, otherwise stick as you are. :)

I did it and changed back, it wasn't for me.

I don't push along much more than 50 - 60 though and do a lot of back road / lane driving.

on 205's it might have been ok but on 235/85 it was just to tall for me.

I did it on my 200 tdi and changed back as soon as I could. It's great on the motorway but away from it is too tall a gearing. Around town 2nd and 3rd are in the wrong place and you end up constantly changing gears when you shouldn't need to.

Just my experience.

Mo

I did it on my 200 tdi and changed back as soon as I could. It's great on the motorway but away from it is too tall a gearing. Around town 2nd and 3rd are in the wrong place and you end up constantly changing gears when you shouldn't need to.

Just my experience.

Mo

You should get an overdrive Mo. :)