Discovery 5

Early90

I can recall the outrage that came from the media, including Land Rover Magazines, about the first Discovery when disguised examples were first seen on test. It was declared a lemon that would never sell. What did LR think they were doing? Something simular with the Freelander 1. Both, of course, went on to be very good sellers, and I wish LR every success with their new Discovery.

I have no issues with progress and much as I love my Defender it really should have been updated years ago, to keep up with technology ... but then again thats probably why most of us like them!! .... Anyways, back to the Disco 5. My biggest gripe is that they all look the same.

I have been a Land Rover owner for more that 16 years and a fan even longer and I still struggle to tell the new RR from a Sport and a Disco Sport from an Evoque. I much preferred it when Defender, Freelanders, Discos, Sports and RRs were all instantly recognised.

Just need to wait and see what the finished vehicle is like.

I was thinking much the same yesterday - although I think the Evoque does stand out a bit from the others (not, to my taste, in a good way - but given how well they're selling plenty of people disagree with me!). I've not seen the renderings of the new Discovery, but of the rest of the existing line-up the Evoque is the only one that is differentiated at all - the rest look like different size versions of the same car. It's a great looking design, at all sizes, but a bit more differentiation would be good.

I know a lot of this is about making sure the Range Rover's prestige rubs off on the less expensive models, but I wonder how much the reverse is also true and the Range Rover's prestige will be diluted by the fact that the mere pauper down the road who can only afford £32k for a Discovery Sport has a car that basically looks the same as your £160k top of the range Range Rover. And most people probably say he has a "Range Rover".

Once upon a time the design of a car was what one or two men thought a car should be. Which is why cars of the 1950s and 1960s say were so different. Now a large number of people run customer serveys, computer programmes, design studios and follow fashion. Not surprising they all get the same answers. They have come to realise that people are like sheep and follow each other.

I never understand why they do the stupid camo thing. It looks so bland that I wouldn't have given it a second glance and certainly wouldn't have recognised it as something you would call a Discovery. Instead by putting zebra stripes on it, it shouts "Hey, over here, top secret road test going on" from hundreds of yards away.

I fall into the category of "they all look the same now" - the current range are all just melted blobs of soap with little character and lots of electrojunk, just that some of the blobs are slightly bigger than others. Which is why I went and bought a Shogun instead, after three Discoverys.

Once upon a time the design of a car was what one or two men thought a car should be. Which is why cars of the 1950s and 1960s say were so different. Now a large number of people run customer serveys, computer programmes, design studios and follow fashion. Not surprising they all get the same answers. They have come to realise that people are like sheep and follow each other.

Exactly, and it's why older Land Rovers will always be popular. Every one is different, even if you lined up a row of brand new defenders, they'd all still have different ripples in the panels, it's all part of their character.

It's the character that's missing from all modern vehicles IMO.

• Like 1

I heard that for modern vehicles there's only so many ways you can make an "occupant safety cage" to keep people harm-free if being hit from different angles, taking into account A/B pillars, crumple zones, etc.

The end result is that you can only style what is safe to begin with. Older cars didn't have that to contend with

I never understand why they do the stupid camo thing. It looks so bland that I wouldn't have given it a second glance and certainly wouldn't have recognised it as something you would call a Discovery. Instead by putting zebra stripes on it, it shouts "Hey, over here, top secret road test going on" from hundreds of yards away.

I fall into the category of "they all look the same now" - the current range are all just melted blobs of soap with little character and lots of electrojunk, just that some of the blobs are slightly bigger than others. Which is why I went and bought a Shogun instead, after three Discoverys.

I completely identify with this, they could have just stuck a Ssanyong emblem on it and no one would have known any different lol ;)

• 2 weeks later...

At least the Range Rovers still have exactly that written on their bonnets. Personally the large DISCOVERY scripts look too tacky and I'm not too keen on the DEFENDER badging either.

As mentioned above if it had been badged up in full LR livery no one apart from the ultra observant would have noticed. They'd have assumed it was a kitted RRS from Khan or those woeful Lumma efforts.