300 tdi Turbo Big Bigger Biggest

Hi I have been asked by a customer to fit a 'Big Turbo' , His words I'm going to fit a full sized intercooler and silicone hoses

and will need to do something with the injector pump fuelling

The Question is has anyone got any sensible advice as what to fit and where to buy it from .

Cheers Jon

Not sure there is much to be gained by adding a bigger one, the stock turbo is pretty good, and has way more performance margin in it before it runs out of steam/efficiency, or the engine runs out of pistons/big ends.

The only thing a bigger turbo will add is lag :P

so go stick a big ass turbo on it, and then when the customer says its undrivable, just say i told you so.

orrr, turn up the fueling and boost and give the turbo a cosmetic refurb. they'll never know the difference lol

The customer has had TD5 and gone back to 300 tdi , everyone has a different reason to own the Land Rover they want and for what ever reason he doesn't like the newer stuff, his wife has a 2015 2.2 tdci and he paid for it but doesn't drive it very often ,he just doesn't like the way the engine responses .

So I think it's VNT , intercooler and set the pump up

Surely with the money a new vnt would cost with setting up etc your customer would be better off selling and purchasing a sorted td5. It would sound nicer as well...

VNT's arent that expensive and if you can get a 200tdi manifold it can be a bolt in job. Plenty of wrecking yard turbo's that would fit and are cheap.

they don't, vnt is variable nozzle turbo so its some vanes located in the housing that moves, not on the turbine itself :)

Okay, but what mechanism causes them to alter? Throttle position? Boost/Manifold Air pressure? Am curious as have a defender tdi200 in the series.

• 2 weeks later...

VNT's arent that expensive and if you can get a 200tdi manifold it can be a bolt in job. Plenty of wrecking yard turbo's that would fit and are cheap.

So which VNT turbo's bolt straight to the 200tdi manifold and what vehicles do you find them on?

Come on, Hangover, what's the answer to Chris's question? I'm sure a lot of members would like to know what VNTs bolt to a 200Tdi manifold.

Mike

• 1 month later...

I found that an Iveco 3.0ltr uses a GT2260V and just happens to bolt directly onto a 200tdi manifold if you drill out the threaded holes to 8mm, turbo sits a little higher than stock but shouldnt cause any issues. I bought this just for the exhaust housing but may build up a 2nd turbo.

_VK2Lst7NAN68vk5zuY9Njyjp22IDMRxb9vFp2Bb

4 hours ago, hangover said:

I found that an Iveco 3.0ltr uses a GT2260V and just happens to bolt directly onto a 200tdi manifold if you drill out the threaded holes to 8mm, turbo sits a little higher than stock but shouldnt cause any issues. I bought this just for the exhaust housing but may build up a 2nd turbo.

Does the original 200Tdi turbo core mate directly to that turbine housing correctly?