16 minutes ago, elbekko said:

So what's the plan here? You chopped a section out of the middle, and now you're going to reattach the flange end?

Something like that but will also need to modify pinion shaft as well to see where I'm at regards Stephen 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MECCANO said:

Whats involved in shortening the pinion shaft. Can it just be machined down and new splines cut?

Useless post, just seen you have already covered it. RTFM Christoph!

Not so useless, I had covered it but had no real experience on how to do it, so with that in mind I prepared some 40mm blanks in the lathe and had a go at cutting threads with a tungsten bit roughly cut to 60 degrees. And I'm happy to say I was successful so much so one of the pinion locking nuts screwed onto my practice piece even though the threads were a bit rough. Have just ordered an indexable lathe tool with a selection of bits to do the job properly.

For the splines I have a tungsten tipped cutter to set up in my bench top mill just need a rig to hold pinion square and then I can clock it in and hopefully cut some splines, my plan is to extend existing splines about 30mm and see if my pinion prop flange slides on, if it does I will machine splines fully, just hope it goes as well as the theory regards Stephen

• Like 4

On 4/26/2021 at 1:21 PM, Anderzander said:

you must be close to having all the machining done ? 

5 hours ago, Anderzander said:

Sounds great - you make it sound easy. 

1 hour ago, Stellaghost said:

And we all know how easily that can turn to rat poop lol regards Stephen

Anderzander did you curse me??

Catastrophe today gears on my mill decided to give up the ghost whilst in the process of milling the other diff half 

20210524_134157.thumb.jpg.f066bc16ebb3f6712dc444acc2bf998d.jpg

20210524_134204.thumb.jpg.eb65c5c2c80b75d5eb6b115f13889ca0.jpg

And up to present have not been able to source any, be grateful if someone could shed some light on where I can get some otherwise I will have to have a go at making some deep joy and happiness regards Stephen 

• Sad 2