If Sid's sprung weight is going to be kept down, perhaps a set of NRC4306, blue/white would suit? Nice nice and soft at 133lb and 16.5" free length... currently fitted to the Little Green Thing.

Your 15mm and 16mm diameter coils currently put you in the range of 200-1225lb respectively..... The lighter longer spring may help you flex even more.

Anyway, not one for now, I would think, for later down the line :) 

• Like 2

Red-white would give you 70mm more droop without dislocation, and full bump. I think 133lb is a bit soft with a TDI in the front and Nuke spec construction.

I have OME2751 at the front (225lb) and red white at the rear (170 lb). Works, and I'd say the spring weight is quite similar.

Daan

6 minutes ago, Daan said:

Red-white would give you 70mm more droop without dislocation, and full bump. I think 133lb is a bit soft with a TDI in the front and Nuke spec construction.

I have OME2751 at the front (225lb) and red white at the rear (170 lb). Works, and I'd say the spring weight is quite similar.

Daan

He's giving Boilerplate-Barker a run for his money! 

On 9/11/2022 at 7:52 PM, Ed Poore said:

I've got a surplus to requirements (pretty much brand spanking new) heavy duty adjustable one here you can have for nowt Stephen.

That's a very generous offer @Ed Poore, I would be more than happy to give you something for it regards Stephen

3 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

That's a very generous offer @Ed Poore, I would be more than happy to give you something for it regards Stephen

Um you have you silly man. I've had a drill bit, mag drill and air hose out of you so far I think.

I'll see if I can find it and get it boxed up tonight so the missus can get it in the post tomorrow as I'm away for a few days.

• Like 1

Just now, Ed Poore said:

Um you have you silly man. I've had a drill bit, mag drill and air hose out of you so far I think.

I'll see if I can find it and get it boxed up tonight so the missus can get it in the post tomorrow as I'm away for a few days.

Your very generous thanks regards Stephen

1 hour ago, Stellaghost said:

Your very generous thanks regards Stephen

I think you still have the generous side of the deal so far.

My plan fell through when Mum forgot (despite walking over) the panhard rod. But never mind it'll get shipped shortly.

4 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

Sorry meant to ask this earlier, is there a problem with dislocation, has worked very well for me in the last regards Stephen

I’ve always liked it and found it far more stable than cars with much less travel rocking from one combination of wheels to the other over a ridge etc. I think the reason it’s ignored by some is for the people that get the back of a disco/defender etc working really well using dislocation…. But don’t do anything to improve the front. You’ve got the advantage of the heavier unsprung weight for traction. Also if your suspension is freely moving you’ll have way more traction too. 

• Thanks 1

As your front is now freely moving, the suspension travel can be fully balanced. red whites give you about 12" of suspension movement before going coil bound.

Problem with dislocation, is there is no vehicle weight to push the wheel to the ground, so in terms of traction, you have not got much. 

The mogs a re a bit heavier than most, but it is still better to have vehicle weight resting on your wheel for as long as possible.

6 minutes ago, Daan said:

As your front is now freely moving, the suspension travel can be fully balanced. red whites give you about 12" of suspension movement before going coil bound.

Problem with dislocation, is there is no vehicle weight to push the wheel to the ground, so in terms of traction, you have not got much. 

The mogs a re a bit heavier than most, but it is still better to have vehicle weight resting on your wheel for as long as possible.

But you've still got something if its touching the ground even without much weight on it. As the ground comes up you'll also get more traction quicker than if the wheel is waving in the air further up. It's one thing I'm interested to try with my scale pads is to put them under each wheel whilst picking a corner up with the fork lift. Don't forget also as you're pushing one wheel up the opposing one will naturally be pushed down to a certain extent. 

I had a set of those front and rear…they worked really well untill the front or back of the truck got light then they would push, exaggerating the fact. Not good going up steep climbs and even worse going down. First outing at a play day with them I cut the passenger seatbelt and made a limiting strap between the a frame and a crossmember on the chassis. They have their place but I wouldn’t fit them again. The other thing that no one takes about is they limit the up travel of your suspension as the coils on your main spring can’t move around the top hats very easily. 

maxtraction(I think) usedto make extremely long progressive coil springs which worked but we’re apparently undrivable on the road… not seen it my self but just what I heard. There’s that full flex springs place that can make any spring you want so there’s an option if you wanted to go that way

I’ve always found dislocation ok. As Ross says there will be an ammount of force from the opposite wheel going up transmitted to the light wheel going down, when it gets too light is where the lockers pay for themselves. 

• Like 1

On 9/16/2022 at 3:01 PM, elbekko said:

Honestly for something like Sid I'm a bit surprised you didn't go for air shocks or coilovers. Would solve most of the issues...

Now you suggest that......

After about 6 pages of suspension crack earlier on in thread....

Not changing them now lol

Regards Stephen

3 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

Now you suggest that......

After about 6 pages of suspension crack earlier on in thread....

Not changing them now lol

Regards Stephen

I was under the impression you had a plan in your head :ph34r:

(And I didn't really think about it until now either)

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, elbekko said:

I was under the impression you had a plan in your head

I did, rough outline of plan as follows...

Buy Unimog portal axles, fit under lightweight....

Yes I do the fabrication, but it's turned into a bit of a forum community build, there are many aspects of my build that have been influenced by your goodselves, stuff I would not have done or thought of it I had not joined this forum

The other thing is my knowledge is vastly inferior to many on here with the likes of suspension setups etc although that is improving all the time

So my plan remains exactly as I said above.....

Just the journey in between was not thought out in detail but that's because I'm more of a get on and make it as I go person as appose to hitting the drawing board

Keep the suggestions coming because I'm enjoying the communal feel to this build regards Stephen

• Like 3