The eye-grinder sounds delightful :o last time I was there the Dr dug it out with two hypodermics while being very annoyed that I kept blinking while he was doing it.

I keep a couple of old hard drive magnets in the garage now, plus disposable vials of eye wash. So far only the magnet has been necessary.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

The eye-grinder sounds delightful :o last time I was there the Dr dug it out with two hypodermics while being very annoyed that I kept blinking while he was doing it.

I keep a couple of old hard drive magnets in the garage now, plus disposable vials of eye wash. So far only the magnet has been necessary.

That's a good shout. Not for that purpose until now, but I've got a stupidly strong magnet from work I keep in the workshop. Used as part of an array to accelerate a beam of neutral particles :D 

@Stellaghost these drops are far better than the cream, I complained about the cream when I went back for the last bits removing and the guy agreed it was carp and prescribed this. Made a big difference I would highly recommend.

2EEB15D5-6480-409B-8520-E87B0EEC3121.thumb.jpeg.da42ca32d3bbec83491530f8d8cc8af0.jpeg

Now have some ski mask style safety goggles for when I think the safety squint might not be enough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I'd be a bit careful with the magnet as you could easily do a whole lot more damage if the particle comes out another way than it went in.

Eye-die-grinder sounds terrifying, think I'd need full sedation for that. Getting laser eye surgery was one of the most terrifying things I've done (really don't like things touching my eyes), and that didn't even involve anything actually touching my eye!

1 hour ago, elbekko said:

I'd be a bit careful with the magnet as you could easily do a whole lot more damage if the particle comes out another way than it went in.

I've found (so far) that it'll either be a bit of stuff floating around in front of the eyeball, in which case the magnet is enough to pull it out without sticking an oily finger in, or it will be like a splinter of metal stuck in which can be teased back out magnetically. Given you're not putting the magnet behind your eyeball :o and have a fairly small area in front to wave it around, you're unlikely to pull anything deeper/through.

As others have alluded to, and as the Dr told me, the quicker you get it out the less time it has to go rusty and cause worse problems.

39 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

You may end up with it sitting slightly offset when at normal hight. As long as the wheels are pointing the correct direction/angle the offset won't affect handling.

Mike

You’d remake the mounts so it stays central. 

From playing with lots of travel and big tyres it’s snug when you start articulating a long way. The upper half of the tyre tipping in is a pain and that’s with my axles being wider than Stephens. 

8 hours ago, landroversforever said:

You’d remake the mounts so it stays central. 

From playing with lots of travel and big tyres it’s snug when you start articulating a long way. The upper half of the tyre tipping in is a pain and that’s with my axles being wider than Stephens. 

How much articulation did you achieve @landroversforever regards Stephen

2 minutes ago, Daan said:

Are you not taking the springs out for max articulation?

Is that absolutely necessary, there will be more articulation with springs out however I would think that any extra would be unusable once springs are refitted. I understand things will go a little more under shock loading but not to the point with springs removed regards Stephen

Well, since we advised you to remove the bump stops to set up max bump, the springs definitely compress to the max if you try hard enough.

I would forget about dislocation and just use the max length of your spring on droop and no spring on compression. What spring rate are your springs do you know?

Generally, with portals you don't run a lift, as the portals themselves do this for you. 

I would start with red white springs, as they are quite long but not high poundage.

Boingy bible here:

land rover spring specifications (red90.ca)

Daan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Clearance wise, removing the springs means you can get to the max without having to force anything while you're testing. Unless the springs are way too long long and you get coil bound, there's a good chance of being articulated and then a hard hit on top you'd max it out. I've done all my clearance checking with no springs, no bumpstops and with the mock up threaded bar + rod ends for the shocks so its at absolute worst case.

12 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

That bible would have been handy before I bought springs ..lol

Springs are 1" lower than standard, front are 15mm diameter the rears are 16mm, no colour coding on them regards Stephen

I reckon it would have been..., but it has been referred to on here before!

What is the free length of your springs?

Daan