Overland caravan build

3 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Doesn’t solve the issue of needing the legs to clear the wheels if Mike wants to remove the box. 

Further back in this I shared a picture of my removable box. The legs are fixed to box section which slide into bigger box section on the body. I made mine wide enough to easily reverse the trailer in each time but equally would allow the box to clear the wheels

Edit - added picture

IMG_20201221_125339.thumb.jpg.137959a5821cd2cdad30bda3211f9211.jpg

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

Ross it's indespension axles.

Something along the lines of above is what I'll need. I want something that will act as steady legs to, so perhaps a removable extension for the front two.

Mike

@miketomcat if you can knock up a sketch of what you need I should have enough steel kicking around to fab something up for you......Could bring it down at Summer sisters if that's not too late 

Regards Stephen

• Like 1

Stephen that is a very generous offer. I'm going to look at off the shelf options first but if nothing works I'll shout.

Ross they could but as I mentioned earlier I don't think it'll be the best option. I'll get the wife to draw it up now we have all the dimensions. This will allow us to see if the proportions work and finalize the layout.

Mike

• Like 1

In use as steady legs, locate them all the way in and for box removal make the horizontal long enough to clear the wheels- it won't be in use as a camper at this point and the right size box and receiver will work fine. 

I've made one or two very similar set ups which all work well.

Steve 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

A million years ago in an alternate universe @Astro_Al was using alloy scaffolding screw jacks for something or other - they're cheap, robust, and very light compared to all these big lumps of steel box section I'm seeing posted.

Those are fine for stabilising but not good for actually lifting the  weight of the trailer as you have no leverage. 

17 hours ago, Ed Poore said:

Put some twist locks in the corner and some jacking legs then you still have a usable trailer :ph34r:

Good idea, but means everything needs to be contained to the box - water tanks, batteries, electric hookup, ... Not a big issue, but definitely needs to be taken into account, and may take away some usable interior space.

I'm currently thinking caravan style stablizing legs and a pair (may need 4)of modified axle stands. I need legs anyway and caravan legs work well, tuck up out the way and are galv. I only need about 200mm lift so this could be done with blocks under the legs then some axle stands with a horizontal tube that slides into a tube on the box. I can probably get away with the stands only at the front.

Mike

3 minutes ago, elbekko said:

Good idea, but means everything needs to be contained to the box - water tanks, batteries, electric hookup, ... Not a big issue, but definitely needs to be taken into account, and may take away some usable interior space.

Everything was going to be in or on the box anyway. It'll only be two cables running down the A frame to deal with.

Mike

• Like 1

Watching with interest Mike,... on the tyre front I just wonder how much 'Off-road' capability is really needed? Land Rover size wheels do put the c.o.g. up as well as ground clearance and I am guessing that on road manners (up to the West coast of Sctland?) are almost as important.

Yes this is why I'm thinking the 24" tyres will suffice. I was originally thinking 29" after realising that matching the tow vehicle (33") wasn't going to work. We've also ended up twin axle which should allow it to float a wheel over a hole thus reducing the need for big ground clearance.

Mike

• Like 1

I follow a you tube channel called Merlins Old School Garage. He makes trailer legs with scissor jacks. He replaces the winding lug with a bolt head and uses a dugga dugga to operate the screw.

Because that are fitted to the chassis, there seems to be very little torsional twist

On 3/8/2023 at 10:41 AM, miketomcat said:

I was hoping to go lr wheels but the axle spacing is to close for all but the most obscure size 15" tyre. However these will work.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165760981595?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=rm76U2JcRwK&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=rj9sNdGlTqa&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Just shy of 24" which will bring the overall height down nicely but hopefully won't reduce ground clearance to much. The down side is the current wheels are 12", anyone want to swap for some 13's :ph34r:.

Mike

I've got one 13" rim with a tyre on it you can have, so you only need to get another 4 now......lol

20230322_151905.thumb.jpg.cb5a39e09b09b25933c57badf045ee4a.jpg

20230322_151913.thumb.jpg.174cad65298def64a10015e858d0ed5e.jpg

regards Stephen

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

That would make a perfect spare :wub:Stephen and would be greatly appreciated if your sure you don't need it. If it made its way to seven sisters I'm sure someone there can get it the rest of the way. :i-m_so_happy:

Mike

It's absolutely no good to me, another one of my take it home instead of scrapping it objects

Will bring it down to Seven Sisters in june

Regards Stephen

• Like 1