World War Willys Jeep - from 1990 - Body mounted.

19 minutes ago, Daan said:

Your workshop is the stuff of dreams!

It's the stuff of tripping hazards and mog axle jigs and formers at the moment.......

I will need a clear out once finished........

Scrap or keep said jigs and formers yet to be decided.....

Regards Stephen 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Time for an update: I did a bit more engine-related stuff on the Jeep; The engine came into my possession without an ECU. This, and the fact that I am useless with electronics made me decide to run the engine without any electronics. You can replace the pump on this engine with a mechanical injection pump. This is called an M-TDI in VW circles. The pump I use comes from a Land Rover 300 TDI which has similar power output to the VW. I got a pump off Ed Poores pile of spare TDI parts; He even delivered it to my work.

To fit it to the VW engine, a few mods are needed: the VW pump bracket needs slots so you can rotate the pump to set the timing, and the center bore diameter needs to be taken out from 50mm to 68mm.

So I took the bracket to the machine shop: I fitted an 8mm cutter tool to my router and create the slots. The 50mm hole saw is a tight fit in the 50mm bore, so I clamped it to the router to use this as the fulcrum:

large.bracket1.jpg.e8c2f5add504ca724e8b2ef7a4d18eb0.jpglarge.bracket2.jpg.9cf8ed0ad50d2ee417b5bf3e3d59d80a.jpglarge.bracket3.jpg.833bfa8f3582499b95887e8884accb80.jpg

Once the slots are done, I opened the centre bore. You can fit 2 hole saws to one Arbor and so use the 50mm hole saw as the guide for the 68mm hole saw to cut a hole in the center of the bracket.

Bracket modified:

large.bracket5.jpg.187817d8d7563427973d07ed977812b5.jpg

Also on Ed’s pump, the bracket on the back of the pump for the 4th bolt need modifying to fit to the land rover pump. I ended up sandwiching the VW bracket with the land rover throttle cable bracket. Also, the delivery valves on the back of the pump need to be swapped for the VW ones, as the land rover valves are much longer:

large.pump1.jpg.c96f447d7684f9074ebe01047be68699.jpg

With the ECU not present, I also needed to make a mod to the turbo. It is a VNT turbo, or Variable Nozzle Turbine. This is normally operated by vacuum through a box of tricks by the ECU.

I converted it to pressure activation using a wastegate actuator. The one I got is a Forge motorsport piston actuator. This can be taken apart so you can change the spring for a different stiffness to change the characteristics of the Turbo. The usual purpose for this is to increase the turbo pressure, here it is to set up the VNT. I got the actuator with a box of springs, so plenty of scope to setup the turbo correctly. The actuator is generic but fits to the VW actuator bracket. I just needed to shorten the actuator rod and turn buckle.

The most bling part on my jeep so far:

large.turbo1.jpg.2f86c5dee16f87418a9bcad62a7f5ffc.jpg

I also rotated the turbine housing to point upwards, to help the routing of the intake pipe.

While at this side of the engine, I replaced the inlet manifold for a Golf version. The Passat intake manifold points to the rear of the car, the Golf version points to the front. The manifold came from the BRM code golf engine, this has the best flow rate of all the TDI manifolds made by VW (an American tuning geek flow bench tested all the manifold options, and the BRM version came out as best.)

Lh Passat AFN, Rh Golf BRM

large.manifold.jpg.d7dcb66966ff5affe1f515466e7240de.jpg

All done, it looks like this:

large.engine2.jpg.58b7c4b6bc2f4d4a609d612c28efea2c.jpglarge.engine1.jpg.10095a48034a09bcf4b4868ab2db54ea.jpg

Thanks for reading!

Daan

• Like 4

• Daan changed the title to World War Willys Jeep - from 1990-300 tdi pump fitted.
  • 2 months later...
  • Daan changed the title to World War Willys Jeep - from 1990 - Exhausted.

That's very impressive - and very interesting!

Got me thinking about combining that with a bit of 3D photogrammetry to capture the whole complicated mess without the need to mock anything up - feels like it would be easier to wrangle a virtual pipe through a 3D scan than have to do it rolling around the garage flooor :D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

That's very impressive - and very interesting!

Got me thinking about combining that with a bit of 3D photogrammetry to capture the whole complicated mess without the need to mock anything up - feels like it would be easier to wrangle a virtual pipe through a 3D scan than have to do it rolling around the garage flooor :D

Cheers,

The trouble with scanned surfaces is the shear size of them, and of the processing power required to spin the model like they do here. It also is not that accurate and consists of a cloud of points. I suspect things have moved on and there will be ways to turn them into surfaces, but whenever I was given scanned surfaces, they were pretty wonky, not straight basically. You always have to back it up with hand measurements in my experience. Good for scenery of your model, but not particularly reliable geometry.

I have used a Faro arm coordinate measurement machine in the past to design roll cage legs. You just hold tubes in the place where you want it and measure 6 points (3 on each end) on the tube to establish the locations of the center lines in space. The software spit out a bend formula of what shape to bend the tube.

The way I did it here was with minimum technology so to speak.

I have CAD, so I used it but could have worked out the space between bends on paper if need be. So you don't strictly need CAD.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Daan said:

The trouble with scanned surfaces is the shear size of them, and of the processing power required to spin the model like they do here. It also is not that accurate and consists of a cloud of points. I suspect things have moved on and there will be ways to turn them into surfaces, but whenever I was given scanned surfaces, they were pretty wonky, not straight basically. You always have to back it up with hand measurements in my experience. Good for scenery of your model, but not particularly reliable geometry.

It's only a small part, but he seems to manage to get pretty reliable measurements off it:

I tried some photogrammetry a while back when designing the little power strip to replace the ashtray in my P38. It worked ok to get a general idea of the curves necessary and such, but still needed a bunch of actual measurements, as you said.

Really good job on that exhaust!

• 3 months later...
  • Daan changed the title to World War Willys Jeep - from 1990 - Body mounted.
5 hours ago, Daan said:

Tell me more.

Daan

Nice American chap. Lives in Colorado. He's the modified Flat Fender guru, and 225c Oddfire V6 guru. His thing is biggest tyre on no lift. But he's very switched on. 

You'll find his various build right ups on Pirate and Overland Forum. He's also on FB under his name, and the on the FB Flat Fender page. His 'hobby' is here https://brennans-garage.com/

Genuinely nice bloke, very black and white though

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

Nice American chap. Lives in Colorado. He's the modified Flat Fender guru, and 225c Oddfire V6 guru. His thing is biggest tyre on no lift. But he's very switched on. 

You'll find his various build right ups on Pirate and Overland Forum. He's also on FB under his name, and the on the FB Flat Fender page. His 'hobby' is here https://brennans-garage.com/

Genuinely nice bloke, very black and white though

I saw that website on my trawls of Google. Sounds like he uses the same principles on his Jeep that I used on my Land Rover.

• Like 1