New workshop project

37 minutes ago, Retroanaconda said:

and then 3mm steel sheet in time if I can get it arranged

let me know the dimensions you want and I'll cut some to size for you to relay / collect at some point in the future regards Stephen

• Like 1

It’s looking ace James - the only thing I’d question is the location of your toolbox ?

if you are working on the bench that will be nice - but if you are on the drive working through the main doors, won’t it be a pain in the ass to squeeze down the side of the 110 and get right to the back of the garage ? 

I put my tools by the door for that reason - not far when I’m in the garage and not far when I’m not. 

1 hour ago, Stellaghost said:

let me know the dimensions you want and I'll cut some to size for you to relay / collect at some point in the future regards Stephen

Thank you - that’s very kind of you. I’ll send you a PM once I get to that stage. 

23 minutes ago, Anderzander said:

It’s looking ace James - the only thing I’d question is the location of your toolbox ?

if you are working on the bench that will be nice - but if you are on the drive working through the main doors, won’t it be a pain in the ass to squeeze down the side of the 110 and get right to the back of the garage ? 

I put my tools by the door for that reason - not far when I’m in the garage and not far when I’m not. 

Unfortunately the way I’ve laid the building out there’s no way of putting the tools by the door that wouldn’t be right in the way.

There’s a good 2’ 6” down each side of the car with it positioned centrally between the bench and the wall. In practice I will likely have it sat slightly over towards the wall so there’ll be a good sized space to walk down in front of the workbench.

It’s only a 10-yard trip to the back of the building from the driveway area, and a marked improvement on before where I had to walk right around the house, but if I do get tired of it I can always wheel the tool cabinet out to the front for big jobs.

1 hour ago, Arjan said:

Looks good !

I suggest some additional lights over the workbench ?

The lights are positioned so that they light the bench, however I’ll have a shelf above it and can add another light underneath that it if becomes necessary. 

• Like 1

Great 

Any plans for bracing your bench legs ? I was looking to see if you’d bolted them to the floor - but they look freestanding? 

Topical for me as I’m half way through making a new bench this weekend.

Last question!  What’s the plans for outside ? Are you leaving the step ? Or perhaps more concrete or more gravel? 

• Like 1

Garage looks fab, :i-m_so_happy:

a suggestion for the concrete slab outside the garage, a friend did similar & made it so it drains into a catch sump in middle with a removable wire basket which was connected to the household sewer, its to catch any debris when pressure washing the underside to stop lots of mud, stones going into the sewer system, 

• Like 1

Well I did say I was going to insulate the doors... not great for access though ^_^

519677B9-D079-496E-B5C2-F73F20DF50B4.thumb.jpeg.5095b172e5e34ab0c3cce2a4d0767218.jpeg

Might have over-done it slightly but the roof will take quite a bit to fill so we shall see. Weather looks rubbish for this weekend but I hope to be able to get on with a fair bit inside. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

That looks like my workshop at the moment :( You have to clamber past the bales of insulation to get in.

Although, come to think of it, no it doesn't - there's clear space, decent lighting and the building doesn't look remotely knackered... When the house is sorted...

• Like 2

Hi, nice work. I've seen this thread quite late, and have not read it all, but how did you proceed for planning?

I was thinking of doing something similar at my folks place and what i remember from the planning exempt regs, it could not be less than 1m from a boundary (and other stuff - 4m high double-pitch, 2.5 flat roof) 

An aside - I want to put a lift in mine and the max heights may mean i have to go the approval route.

Thanks. I got planning permission - fairly simple process. Drew some plans by hand and then used an approved website for the location map etc. then submitted, wait a while and then all approved. But mine is not contentious in any way and the neighbours aren’t bothered.

I could have built it under permitted development size and height wise but I would have had to put it further from the boundary (so that the bit within 1m was less than 2.5m tall) and I didn’t have space to do this. P.D. regs differ in England/Scotland so check yours for the specifics.

Been doing more inside today, started to board the roof storage space out and working on my high-level shelf round two sides of the building.

6A371A56-DC31-45D3-8DE6-4F23EDD72CDB.thumb.jpeg.79f8e2f884703eff5204ed91a9817091.jpeg

9DCCD815-49D7-47E2-8254-D8547FD715D1.thumb.jpeg.74d5ad6d2695fafde43efe34cb3da30e.jpeg

• Like 2

That looks great - a fair chunk of loft you’ve boarded out. Lots of space to put stuff 😊

If it’s not rude to ask / have you kept a tally on cost? It would be interesting to see how it has compared to a pre-fab garage.

• Like 1

I was wondering when someone would ask that question!

I have kept a sheet with every penny I’ve spent, but suffice to say that I’m going to be looking at around £11k once the basic interior fit-out is done. There will be a bit more to spend to do the concrete works out the front, but not significant.

An obscene amount of money and far more than I thought it would cost, but that’s par for the course when it comes to building projects. Not sure how it compares to the pre-fab kit garages, the specifications vary a fair bit on those.

Well .... a concrete base and electrics are going to cost whatever they do - beyond that though you’ve got good quality doors and windows, insulation, good lighting, lots of sockets, lots and lots of floor space, and tons of headroom - so in real terms; I think there is no comparison to a prefab garage.

Good investment in my mind !  and I look forward to that 110 flying together 😊

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Retroanaconda said:

Thanks. I got planning permission - fairly simple process. Drew some plans by hand and then used an approved website for the location map etc. then submitted, wait a while and then all approved. But mine is not contentious in any way and the neighbours aren’t bothered.

I could have built it under permitted development size and height wise but I would have had to put it further from the boundary (so that the bit within 1m was less than 2.5m tall) and I didn’t have space to do this. P.D. regs differ in England/Scotland so check yours for the specifics.

That's interesting that the process was fairly simple, i was dreading that route.

Of course it could be different south of the border...

To get a lift in it would need to be at least 4m high with some width at that height, but i suppose its possible, one neighbour has a 2 storey garage.