New workshop project

Thanks all. Been busy with fascias and gutters today, pics later -_-

2 hours ago, SteveG said:

Looking excellent James 👍 

Were you left with any onduline sheets or verges going spare? I could do with a sheet or some verges to repair a shed roof, but reluctant to pay £27 delivery charge for such a small order whilst on lockdown. A sheet cut in half could probably be shipped for a tenner. Happy to pay full price obviously for sheet etc.

cheers, Steve

I have some bits left over but I’m afraid I need them for the same reason, to replace some damaged sheets on the other shed. Have you got a Wickes or similar near you that's still open? You can buy them in there, admittedly for much more than a proper builders merchant but they all seem to be shut. 

1 hour ago, Arjan said:

LED lights ?

I haven’t got as far as thinking much about lighting yet, I was planning on standard daylight fluorescent tubes. Is the light from LED panels any better these days, as it used to be quite cold and clinical?

I use several LED panels and it takes a bit of testing to see what works for you - in your workshop with your colours there.

We're planing the new workshop for late this year and it will be LED only. Massive saving in electricity bill and basically fit and forget.

Some people say they're too white - but it all comes down to the "temperature" you use.

Wiring is easy - virtually no load and less of a start up when it is freezing.

Front verge replaced with the proper one, and fascias fitted both sides. Got the gutter on the far side, but made a schoolboy error and under-bought on brackets so haven’t been able to finish the open side off. In the same error I also forgot to get downpipe brackets so I can’t fit those either. Have ordered some online so we’ll see when they turn up.

41AE4CAF-225F-4FA6-80F9-AB6D0E745EA1.thumb.jpeg.3b31334b4f5153a4414cad77e0241ce3.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Arjan said:

I use several LED panels and it takes a bit of testing to see what works for you - in your workshop with your colours there.

We're planing the new workshop for late this year and it will be LED only. Massive saving in electricity bill and basically fit and forget.

Some people say they're too white - but it all comes down to the "temperature" you use.

Wiring is easy - virtually no load and less of a start up when it is freezing.

Thanks - I’ll look into it when I come to do the lighting. The square panels do appeal as I could fit those in between the joists of the ceiling which would gain me another few inches of headroom.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Retroanaconda said:

Thanks all. Been busy with fascias and gutters today, pics later -_-

I have some bits left over but I’m afraid I need them for the same reason, to replace some damaged sheets on the other shed. Have you got a Wickes or similar near you that's still open? You can buy them in there, admittedly for much more than a proper builders merchant but they all seem to be shut. 

I haven’t got as far as thinking much about lighting yet, I was planning on standard daylight fluorescent tubes. Is the light from LED panels any better these days, as it used to be quite cold and clinical?

Screw fix do a standard led tube with 3 colour settings in the unit from very warm to bright white

https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-single-4ft-led-batten-white-22w-2100lm/590cc

They’re adjustable within the unit

@Retroanaconda worth having a look at the V-TAC lights with Samsung LEDs from CPC, mentioned them in your other thread on worklights. They come in lots of different colour temperatures and produce a very good spread of light. I've got a couple of 100W ones in the temporary workshop and just the one in the stables at the moment. They're a little on the cooler side but not really got a complaint about them. The warmer ones are usually a little dearer but not by much.

I’ll have to see what the local electrical factors have. I’m not averse to tube lights, and there doesn’t seem to be a big price difference for LED these days so lots of options.

Got the doors swung right open as well today to see what size opening I actually have. With the big door out at 90 degrees I’ve got a clear opening of 2.85 metres width and 2.4 metres high. Plenty big enough and the width particularly will be helpful for when a car is half in and half out, or when trying to manoeuvre to get it positioned right in then building. A Defender is only 1.8 metres wide.

B6B2AA04-4F43-41F9-8087-659C40B75FCB.thumb.jpeg.f36126c19053ae6d98b5d4f45dbde9d9.jpeg

BF5B4849-B3E9-4505-98A4-0DA71DE84D50.thumb.jpeg.7b13e6adc7662709d737f3b1fde12856.jpeg

• Like 1

I cheated and swapped 5’ fluorescent tubes for 5’ leds. The swapping part was easy but not the getting them part.

First I had the four tubes delivered from Toolstation (over £10 so foc). Two were broken in the cardboard tubes. So they sent out two more and one of those was broken.

I arranged for a replacement to be collected at their counter in Sheffield. “Can’t go wrong with that”. When the lad brought it to the front the cardboard tube was almost bent double. He started to hand it over across the counter until I asked him if he was having a laugh. He wasn’t. He had no idea what it was apparently didn’t even look at the label.

As a quick fix they are great. Instant on and a brighter light. 

2 hours ago, Retroanaconda said:

Do you know if all the variants/sizes have the colour temperature switch feature?

I don’t, the actual brand screwfix we’re supplying are called ‘ select ‘

website is here;

https://diamondledlighting.co.uk/catalogueproducts/trinity-tri-colour/

They state tricolour but screwfix doesn’t.

i just fitted 11 of these to a 12m x 8m garage I’m just finishing for my neighbour, plenty of light.

Tricolour doesn't mean they are switching, I believe, it means they have three different phosphors that emit light at different frequencies, giving a better light for most stuff.

The 'LED fluorescent' tubes are exactly that, fluorescent phosphors, activated by the LEDs. They are not pure LED strips.

I have this in my workshop, and they were a whole £7 per light *fitting*, i.e. not just the tube.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Tricolour doesn't mean they are switching, I believe, it means they have three different phosphors that emit light at different frequencies, giving a better light for most stuff.

The 'LED fluorescent' tubes are exactly that, fluorescent phosphors, activated by the LEDs. They are not pure LED strips.

I have this in my workshop, and they were a whole £7 per light *fitting*, i.e. not just the tube.

I was trying to work out how on Earth they’d work!

Once the world returns to normal I’ll see what I can get locally. Screwfix in town stock the LAP ones so they might be the solution, but I’ve got to go to the electrical suppliers anyway to get all the wiring bits so will see what they have too.

Been doing more internal boarding today, focusing on the front wall with the vehicle doors. Because of the extra weight loads being imposed here I’ve used some left over 12mm ply rather than the 9mm OSB on the rest. For good measure I’ve glued them as well as fixing with screws.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1