Treasure from the scrap man

Stellaghost

My latest free treasure

This will be very useful for Sid as it has a greater reach than my other Jack's

20221009_114218.thumb.jpg.229eca815141d985817e79cec86b3e39.jpg

20221009_114336.thumb.jpg.db6af2fb5c611e878e53d1de9086b2ea.jpg

My other piece of treasure is this

20221008_135039.thumb.jpg.68531021f3ded2b41bea80bf5febf706.jpg

A 20 tonne pneumatically operated pit jack, my thoughts with this are that it would make a good basis for a panel pressing rig. A twin jack set up would have made life a bit easier when I pressed my vent panel recesses in

Thoughts regards Stephen 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

My latest free treasure

This will be very useful for Sid as it has a greater reach than my other Jack's

20221009_114218.thumb.jpg.229eca815141d985817e79cec86b3e39.jpg

20221009_114336.thumb.jpg.db6af2fb5c611e878e53d1de9086b2ea.jpg

My other piece of treasure is this

20221008_135039.thumb.jpg.68531021f3ded2b41bea80bf5febf706.jpg

A 20 tonne pneumatically operated pit jack, my thoughts with this are that it would make a good basis for a panel pressing rig. A twin jack set up would have made life a bit easier when I pressed my vent panel recesses in

Thoughts regards Stephen 

That pit jack is worth a decent wedge of money! Wish I had a scrap man like yours too

3 hours ago, Anderzander said:

I hope your scrap man gets a Christmas card.

All mine gives me is a funny look.

1 hour ago, L19MUD said:

That pit jack is worth a decent wedge of money! Wish I had a scrap man like yours too

Just to keep the record straight, the above two items were getting scrapped at work as no longer used or required

@Anderzander and @L19MUD my scrap man is very good but there is usually a cost involved, cheap mind you but a cost all the same 

@L19MUD just had a look at cost new for a Majorlift 20 tonne pitjack, I see what you mean, cough

Regards Stephen

• Like 3

On 10/7/2022 at 7:50 PM, landroversforever said:

That sounds like we need a list of the 5 best and the 5 most random items :D 

It would be unfair for me to compete. 

But:

400+ sex toys, in a 100m section. Left behind after an RTC involving a caravan used as a mobile brothel; M5 SB just below Michaelwood Services

An artificial arm - Newport Junction M4 WB

Three packing crates of brand new Triton Showers, carefully hidden with camo net - M5 just top side of J11a NB

A briefcase with ÂŁ10k, a browning 9mm and two hunting knives - M32 just topside of J2 NB

A 1/10th scale tiger tank, in metal - A303 WB just before Wincanton

A long board, in cover, with roof rack - just shy of Sparkford A303

6 dead bodies, all homeless folk, bar one who was had been a chef in gloucester (she was in bags at J14 M5)

Manikins - lots

Furniture, luggage, parts of vehicles, baggies, weapons, weird stuff

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Nonimouse said:

It would be unfair for me to compete. 

But:

400+ sex toys, in a 100m section. Left behind after an RTC involving a caravan used as a mobile brothel; M5 SB just below Michaelwood Services

An artificial arm - Newport Junction M4 WB

Three packing crates of brand new Triton Showers, carefully hidden with camo net - M5 just top side of J11a NB

A briefcase with ÂŁ10k, a browning 9mm and two hunting knives - M32 just topside of J2 NB

A 1/10th scale tiger tank, in metal - A303 WB just before Wincanton

A long board, in cover, with roof rack - just shy of Sparkford A303

6 dead bodies, all homeless folk, bar one who was had been a chef in gloucester (she was in bags at J14 M5)

Manikins - lots

Furniture, luggage, parts of vehicles, baggies, weapons, weird stuff

Jeez! :lol:.

14 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Jeez! :lol:.

15 years managing and maybe ten years previous, working as a contarctor; nothing, and I mean nothing, suprises me any more

I had a fishing rest chucked at me from a car, once, went through my hard hat, missed my head. I've had angry landowners point shotguns at me. One 'Run to the Sun' I had a ten car convoy of young ladies, all show me their bare chests. 200+ unregistered horses, dumped on our land - almost all pregnant. Nato Conferences, dealing with US presidential security. Working with BishBosh...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, landroversforever said:

Was there a story behind the showers? Presumably stolen?

And the suitcase of cash? 

The showers 'dissapeared' from our depot after they were moved there for safety. Nice showers.

The suitcase of cash was handed in as 'lost property' to Bristol's finest. It was never claimed, despite publicity, so was given to chairy (not the gun or knives)

• Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...

An assortment of so called scrap chucked out at work..

I saw it as my duty to rescue it

20221114_120440.thumb.jpg.ebf36351cade0184726b1375fd500293.jpg

if you haven't already guessed our fitters don't sharpen drills they just get a new one, grinders work champion, wrong type of triggers, all good to me regards Stephen 

I've got a couple of those grinders. First one I'd seen (like the LH one in your pic. I think) where the locknut takes an allen key instead of a c spanner. Much easier to find in the mess of my shed. Liked it so much I went back the next day and bought another!

Simple thing, but I had 3 grinders in my shed, which needed 2 different c spanners, where I could only ever find the wrong one. (Now I cant find the allen keys of course!)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, elbekko said:

Ah yeah, must be the guard. Good score then.

I do get them, grinders with a slider on the side are annoying and even a little bit dangerous to use. You always have to change your grip to operate it.

Can't say I've ever had an issue with my grinder with a sliding switch on the side like that. 

4 minutes ago, TSD said:

ve got a couple of those grinders. First one I'd seen (like the LH one in your pic. I think) where the locknut takes an allen key instead of a c spanner. Much easier to find in the mess of my shed. Liked it so much I went back the next day and bought another!

Simple thing, but I had 3 grinders in my shed, which needed 2 different c spanners, where I could only ever find the wrong one. (Now I cant find the allen keys of course!)

My 18v dewalt one uses a hey key, brilliant idea. As for the C spanner/pin spanner types... as long as a pin fits in the hole, it will work on any one. Just use it with one pin in the hole and the other on the outer edge of the nut.

6 minutes ago, TSD said:

I had 3 grinders in my shed, which needed 2 different c spanners, where I could only ever find the wrong one.

I just put one peg of the c-spanner in, let the other one ride up against the side of the nut/retainer.

• Like 1

I might add as well that my most used grinder is the 18V one.... and I almost never use anything other than a hand on the knurled nut to remove a disc/pad etc. Even the corded one I usually don't need anything tool wise either. Do them up by hand and unless something snags it will come undone by hand again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TSD said:

I've got a couple of those grinders. First one I'd seen (like the LH one in your pic. I think) where the locknut takes an allen key instead of a c spanner. Much easier to find in the mess of my shed. Liked it so much I went back the next day and bought another!

Even simpler

Milwaukee 4932352473 Fixtec Nut, Multi : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Milwaukee Fixtec Nut - available from lots of places (including Amazon). About ÂŁ5 but oh so worth it, fits any M14 spindled grinder.

Edit - I think it still takes a C spanner underneath but I've found an adjustable onto the flip-up handle is quicker.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, landroversforever said:

My 18v dewalt one uses a hey key, brilliant idea. As for the C spanner/pin spanner types... as long as a pin fits in the hole, it will work on any one. Just use it with one pin in the hole and the other on the outer edge of the nut.

You barbaric engineer; just use large pliers, like me!

That hex key nut looks like it would be in the way if You grind something large.

Daan