Lidl - £80 Plasma Cutter

=jon=

Quick heads up for those that like their toys, Lidl are launching their Plasma Cutters this Thursday in the 'middle of Lidl aisle of surprise':

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/p/diy/parkside-plasma-cutter/p29579

They've been available on the continent for a while and there's a few reviews out there which are mainly positive..

They look decent , I’ve had one off eBay for a few years now cost £200 and it’s more than paid for itself, chassis repairs are a doddle with one personally I wouldn’t be without one. We had a big Lincoln one when I worked maintenance that was really good it had a swill function, where you could with care just remove the weld from a joint .

Just looked it up, it's going to be €120 over here which is not exactly a great rate of exchange! Happily I already have a cut 50, but that torch looks better than the standard one, looks like good value, especially as it comes with 3yrs guarantee (I presume, as usual).

I went to the Reading branch at about 9.15 today (sshhhh, don't tell work!) - they had an empty box on the shelf, and no pricing details or a 'spot' for it on the display...

I took the empty box to reception and they went and got me one from the back.. So if you can't spot them it's probably worth asking... 

18 hours ago, smallfry said:

As I thought, all gone here too. 

Typical of Lidl service though, I asked a member of staff if they had any more out the back. she shrugged and said her "English not good. I should ring customer service.

My local Lidl are excellent. The staff are helpful and, something that I consider a good sign, the staff turnover is very low. They also push their staff to consider further training.

I picked one up on Thursday and have given it a try. Very pleased with it. I wasn't sure if my small and old compressor would work with it. It is a 20 plus year old Clarke Jumbo which has no air tank, only 0.65hp and 3.5 CFM. The plasma cutter has a 'restricted' (narrow bore) compressor Quick Connector so you can't get much air through it anyway. It works fine. So far I have tried it on 3mm Ali, 1mm steel, 2mm steel and 7 mm steel. Works great. According to the  spec's, it should be able to cut 9mm steel. Hope this helps, Regards, Diff.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Badger110 said:

I didn't think it would cut something as thick as 7mm steel.  I have a huge sheet of 3mm steel that needs cutting down, this would've been perfect

Well worth the money if you can stretch to one, ultimately you can save a small fortune in cutting discs, also consumables are very cheap I think I paid about £16 for  a selection of nozzles and ceramics that generally last a couple of years great for cutting out rusty sections etc regards Stephen

• Like 1