Thoughts and Musings on the Ineos Grenadier

Bowie69

5 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

£500m to develop a new car that you haven't sold any of yet doesn't seem massively unreasonable.

In addition to the previous parent loans.  But still a fairly normal looking amount for development of a new model, and presumably very low for setting up a new brand and buying a very large, state of the art and fully equipped factory.

• Like 2

That’s what I meant by their full estate costs won’t show on their current financial statement. I expect they will have signed for a fixed term with extensions and that will represent some considerable liability - but on their statements will only show the amount due against that period rather then the whole term.

58 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I thought they were just renting the production capacity from the owners, as is often done in modern times?

I may well have misunderstood, but I thought they bought it from Mercedes, who had been using it for the Smart cars.

Ineos bought the Hambach plant and have been building 2 seat Smart EVs under contract, (the 4 seat ones are built in China). In the interim, they have been altering the production cells and designng the build process for the Grenadier.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/fortwo-4x4-how-smart-factory-became-home-ineos-grenadier

https://www.ineos.com/news/shared-news/ineos-automotive-confirms-acquisition-of-hambach-production-site-from-mercedes-benz/

It was cheap as the French have some really agressive laws about making staff redundant - letting staff go can cost more than employing them to retirement!

Edited by jeremy996
Changing TVs to EVs; they are in the car business
  • Thanks 1

It felt good to get that email this morning.  For the Land Rover lover, this is a great day!  At long last, a vehicle that continues the long tradition established by Land Rover seven plus decades ago is actually being built.  

It's all a bit convoluted, admittedly, but that's how the modern world is.  I'd say a British owned company building cars in France just pips an Indian owned company building cars in Slovakia slightly, when it comes to winning my own heritage battle too...

• Like 1

Received at 15:01 this afternoon.

VIEW IN BROWSER

cfdf8a3c-ab5b-4177-9d6d-6270ce6a0de3.png

1367c7b2-c8c4-4a6b-8b3e-e6e52e7bd383.jpg
Hi Jeremy,

We recently told you we’ve started series production of the Grenadier. And that, despite global supply issues facing the automotive industry, customer vehicles will shortly be coming off the line at our facility in Hambach. Well, now we have more good news.

Your Grenadier is heading for the production line meaning you can expect delivery to be between February - March 2023. Not long now until you can put yours to the purpose you have in mind. We can’t wait to see you behind the wheel.

If you have any questions about your order, please get in touch.

Your Order Number: 5XXXXXX
CONTACT US >

The Grenadier team

I'm not best pleased; when I started down this route the date was September, after the last two e-mails of delay, I'd got to December/January and now I've got February/March 2023. Still, it could be worse, although I'm driving a 2002 Vauxhall Agila at the moment, which does not have the road presence of the old Defender, the comfort of the Grenadier and the street cred of either!

Remembrance Parades in Castle Donington will be interesting; with my old Defender across the road, no-one had the gall to drive round it; the Agila just does not have the same "so far and no further" road presence.

• Like 1

Good things are worth the wait, assuming you don't get too old to enjoy them before they turn up!  You might get to appreciate the relative simplicity of that Vauxhall one day.  It's bound to be a bit less Big Bruvver than even a Grenadier.  Meanwhile, that is a genuinely exciting email, of which I am genuinely envious.  Good luck.

• Like 1