Thoughts and Musings on the Ineos Grenadier

Bowie69

11 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

Must be a trick of the light because the front bumper on that looks colossal, it would be one of the first things I would want to change to improve approach angle, could always put some 404's under it I suppose.........

Regards Stephen

Don’t think it’s any trick of the light! They’ve looked huge in other pictures too. 

A review from the USA after a few hours driving in varied conditions by Jonathan Hanson.

https://www.exploringoverland.com/overland-tech-travel/2023/1/6/ineos-grenadier-first-drive

My favourite line? "The first owner to install a four-inch lift and 35-inch tires will be missing the point as far as I’m concerned."

997679303_OTT3.jpg.b6fa8bb44577bfde4f8e4f1440602fe5.jpg

Edited by jeremy996
Adding picture
  • Like 4

Found in the wilds of the Internet, a Supplier Bulletin, Partner Edition, August 2021. 

A good read; I rather enjoyed it; the extended supplier list on pages 4 and 5 was very informative, explaining where all the bits are coming from. No wonder they have delays in build 

Grenadier-Supplier-Bulletin-Partner-Edition-2021.pdf

• Thanks 1

On 1/8/2023 at 8:22 AM, elbekko said:

Probably to have a modicum of crumple zone before a ladder chassis impales someone in a side impact.

Suspect the bumper size is crash related, as someone else said, check out the Euro version of the Jeep Wrangler JK and JL.

Not sure it is specifically ladder chassis related, plenty of other ladder chassis vehicles in production still. Pick up trucks, vans, SUV's...

Just to add further. If you look at a late Puma Defender model the bumper is also pretty big with plastic gladding. The main difference on the Ineos (and Jeeps) is there is no air gap between the bumper and vehicle. Which makes it look deeper than it would otherwise.

• Like 1

The bumper did strike me as oversized, but the same is true on the late Jeeps.  As said above, it could be to provide enough absorption to better protect the chassis than the simple Defender bumper did, or to better fend off trees and other obstacles without the use of now (widely) outlawed bull bars.

2 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

The no gap thing is for aero, emissions reduction etc.

The USA spec Jeep Wrangler has a gap on the bumper, only the Euro ones don't. So I suspect it probably isn't emissions as US is normally stricter on those. I wonder if it is more along the lines of not allowing pedestrians to be able to get limbs trapped or something silly.

Posh blog/youtube video related to the article i posted above - Overland Journal.

Favourite comment - "original Defender to "Scotsdale" Defender"

Edited by jeremy996
Adding stuff as I watch a video nearly an hour long!

10 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

So, how long until someone starts selling a less fugly mock-Defender front end for these? :lol:

It still look like the lovechild of an Austin Gypsy and all the plastic tat RDX sell.

Have you seen one in real life ? 

I thought the front looks much better in the real life than it does in photos. 

• Like 1

Looks a lot nicer in profile as a pick up. The fussiness around the rear quarter is neatened up substantially. I hope they'll do a proper canvas top.

Are there any plans for a single cab version or is that too niche/too L200-market for them to compete?

Before I decide if they've finally made one I like, I'm going to need to see how it fairs in the industry standard 'an HGV fell over on it' crash test. I hear Defender2s excel in this regard.

12 hours ago, elbekko said:

Not sure about that rear end, it looks terrified of something behind it :D

Before I read your comment, I was thinking that back end looks better than pretty much any pickup on the market!  Taste is a very personal thing.

I personally dislike crew cab pickups in general.  Great for certain purposes but too much of a compromise for most things.  Yet I look at this and it just looks so very functional, as if the makers aren't even bothering going for the "my car is a truck" market.  I quite like that.

I suppose this compares more to a 130DC than a 110DC, the latter of which always seemed a bit pointless to me, hobbled in rear interior space and load space alike.  This Grenadier isn’t pretty to me, but it does look very functional.

John’s joking aside, some aesthetic elements of the Grenadier are letting its looks down.  In general terms, I think it looks good, but certain details like grilles, bumpers, lighting and that prototype tailgate seem a bit cheap, like they were borrowed from Mahindra.  I’m sure there will be both genuine and aftermarket cosmetic options and mods available in short order.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, deep said:

Before I read your comment, I was thinking that back end looks better than pretty much any pickup on the market!  Taste is a very personal thing.

I personally dislike crew cab pickups in general.  Great for certain purposes but too much of a compromise for most things.  Yet I look at this and it just looks so very functional, as if the makers aren't even bothering going for the "my car is a truck" market.  I quite like that.

It's just the lights, really. Replace those with a normal light unit and it'll look like any other pickup.