Wood

https://defenderwood.com/shopping/

image.jpeg.f7aef9f0067117c74737fbbdbf6b1fd1.jpeg

image.jpeg.b1fce3b1ab9ccb7ea3116b3d795b7920.jpeg

image.jpeg.3cc5438b1f92f6ae2963945a715a5349.jpeg

Doesn’t seem that long ago since Defender accessories were orange and ‘extreme’ - and prized by folks who had hi-viz jackets and camouflage trousers ....

It’s somehow gone from that, through sawtooths, perfect paint, sound deadening, leather seats and posh HiFi’s ... 

...into the hands of influencers with series doors, perfect lives and wooden interiors ? 

From when they were faded blue with a dog and a bale of hay in the back, driven by a bloke with a boiler suit and a flat cap .... I just never would have predicted any of it !!?! 

What’s next ? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've got to say, as a replacement for cracking top dash pad, I can see a nicely finished (so not this), oiled/stained bit of wood as an interesting alternative. Maybe I have gone completely off the rails but I can see a wooden door handle being a lot nicer than the plastic offerings, too...

On the other hand, I priced up a 90's worth of billet aluminum anodised hinges/handles/fuel caps a few days ago. I stopped when I hit £4k and I'm sure I left off a good few. Bearing in mind you can only wash them in the milk of a golden eagle while facing South and screaming the Bulgarian national anthem, lest the finish shall become dust, suddenly a bit of wood seems 'heavy duty'.

I might have turned into a habitual Defender polisher without even knowing. I won't say what my new wheels are, then....😮

• Haha 1

I don't look wood in a car, unless it's a proper classic and a luxury one at that, like an old Bentley, Jag, ... Or a Morgan. 😎 In modern cars it's usually too shiny for my taste, looks more like colored plastic instead of proper wood.

In a Defender, some plywood shelving or such can be very useful and cheap to organize stuff, but that's about it. 🙂

Filip

• Like 2

Just another fad that will pass and look old in a few years from now, just like aluminium trim parts, carbon fibre (almost always fake), overdone leather and so on.  The fashions last two or three years and then move on.  Far better to fit something smart but resilient and practical.  Other than black vinyl, the top dash pad is best covered in black alcantra or fake suede to minimise reflections on the windscreen.  This wood dash, bright coloured leathers and piloshed stainless or aluminium vent surrounds create awful reflections.  I really don’t understand the owners’ thinking.

1 hour ago, ThreePointFive said:

I've got to say, as a replacement for cracking top dash pad, I can see a nicely finished (so not this), oiled/stained bit of wood as an interesting alternative. Maybe I have gone completely off the rails but I can see a wooden door handle being a lot nicer than the plastic offerings, too...

On the other hand, I priced up a 90's worth of billet aluminum anodised hinges/handles/fuel caps a few days ago. I stopped when I hit £4k and I'm sure I left off a good few. Bearing in mind you can only wash them in the milk of a golden eagle while facing South and screaming the Bulgarian national anthem, lest the finish shall become dust, suddenly a bit of wood seems 'heavy duty'.

I might have turned into a habitual Defender polisher without even knowing. I won't say what my new wheels are, then....😮

😆😆😆 Go on, post a piccie!

• Like 1

The thing that strikes me is that I know Rover called it their most versatile vehicle... but surely no one could have foreseen how many times it would be reinvented?  and not just reinvented functionally - but stylistically.

It’’s quite incredible.

I know I was cheeky with the descriptions in my first post - but really I don’t have anything against other folk exercising their tastes. I’m just amazed by it ...

...and for wood, it seems to work well on a load bay - it’s quite a nice mix of smart and practical... but if you check out the price list for those other wooden accessories - wow they aren’t cheap. 

Can't say I like the look of wood, however I imagine repairs could be done quickly and cheaply by hacking the damaged bit out and popping in a bit of sawn off CLS secured with a couple of screws :ph34r:

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Anderzander said:

I know I was cheeky with the descriptions in my first post - but really I don’t have anything against other folk exercising their tastes. I’m just amazed by it ...

I knew I would be firmly alone in my opinions so don't feel you have to hedge your views on my account! Even I don't agree with everything I say... Fact is, most of these things are disgustingly tacky.

I think this is all just a result of a wider shift in society towards the surface appearance of "authenticity", simplicity and honesty without any tolerance for the downsides that come with that - everything has to look good on Instagram and practicality is secondary. 

I hadn't looked at the prices before I commented, so I'm filing this in the saw-them-coming pile of Defender upgrades. But if it was a choice of a dark stained top pad and gear knobs vs the baggy leather covered offerings seen on the fake special editions... Sign me up for some splinters.

For the most part I think standard is better, I guess I am just so used to seeing terrible upgrades that I have a tolerance for the less-terrible end of that scale.

39 minutes ago, Snagger said:

😆😆😆 Go on, post a piccie!

Soon in my build thread, for the judgement of all.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ThreePointFive said:

I knew I would be firmly alone in my opinions so don't feel you have to hedge your views on my account! Even I don't agree with everything I say... Fact us, most of these things are disgustingly tacky.

I think this is all just a result of a wider shift in society towards the surface appearance of "authenticity", simplicity and honesty without any tolerance for the downsides that come with that - everything has to look good on Instagram and practicality is secondary. 

I hadn't looked at the prices before I commented, so I'm filing this in the saw-them-coming pile of Defender upgrades. But if it was a choice of a dark stained top pad and gear knobs vs the baggy leather covered offerings seen on the fake special editions... Sign me up for some splinters.

I’m with you on that.  All of it!

I'm more than happy enough with the factory offerings. However if I had to change them I'd rather have wood than aluminium that freezes your fingers in winter and burns 'em in the summer ;) 

• Like 1

I like wood trim in the right car - though I'm not sure that's a defender... It has to be good quality and well finished though, or it just looks seriously tacky.

I'd say @monkie is on the money - a couple of years and that'll be a mould stained mess, unless the truck is a fair weather garage queen.