Ponderings on the proposed Fering Pioneer

Bowie69

There's a new British-built range-extending EV pick up on the way, apparently in 2022, which will put it in direct competition with 'Projekt Grenadier'....

4000 mile range (yes, really) and looks tough as new boots:

1658529314_Screenshot2021-09-16at12_10_31.thumb.jpg.b3c3af733bcc1b1849bb60e9550f4318.jpg

Some further reading: 

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/exclusive-fering-pioneer-range-extender-4x4-exploration-focus

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-britishcars/fering-pioneer-is-a-4000-mile-capable-off-roader/44691

https://pickupand4x4.co.uk/fering-pioneer-is-an-extreme-electric-pickup-thatll-run-for-4000-miles/

First thoughts:

- Why did car makers abandon fabric door panels after the Austin 7?

- IFS/IRS?

- 4000 mile range, really?

- Bowler version? (needs V8 obvs...)

Discuss!

• Like 1

interesting.

But that 4,000 miles looks a bit optimistic.

However, the price tag for that sort of low volume vehicle will be considerable.

Not to mention all the rest of the usual observations.

It has one, 1.5 ton payload, no idea on towing, but 400lb/ft, so reasonable, finance????? Dealers??? :D

One article I've read since posting was potential price tag of 150K, which would be ridiculous of course.

4000 mile range is courtesy of an optional 350l tank, and ~50mpg from the three cylinder turbo diesel 'charger'.

Don't think it'll worry Ineos, or anyone really.

It looks pretty cool, but very much in the kit car style. Doesn't look at all production friendly or likely to meet Type Approval regs.

Not sure on the specs, but 4000 mile range. Umm... why aren't others doing this? Or is it more likely not reality.

I quite like the renderings. It fits the hybrid or electric ruling for 2030 or when ever it is. Price is steep but how much is a defender with all the toys, and I know which I'd prefer. Range is a bit of a white lie as it's 50 mile electric or whatever want charging, depending how bigger tank you fit. 

Interesting though.....

Mike

I like it! It reminds me of a Polish protobuggy in Ladoga 2011 or 2012. A bit more affordable and I'd be genuinely interested. The rough version please, not the one with the white bodywork that looks like a Tesla cybertruck. And it should provide access to LEZs, even with the limited electric only range.

It's been years since I've had much positive to say about anything new, but that's actually the second new car I like in the last month or so. The first one being the Radford Type62/2 (but not so much the Emira, unfortunately). If this is the way things are heading, there is hope still. 🙂

Filip

1 hour ago, elbekko said:

One of the guys behind it was posting in the Pistonheads thread. Apparently low volume (100-200 year), first batch has already been sold, goal is for Antarctic exploration and such. 450L tank, 4000 mile range "average across various terrains".

100-200 already sold sounds like a rather bold claim. I'd guess more like 8-20 vehicles a year, depending on price. But suspect it won't be cheap at all.

To give a little perspective. Lotus only manages to sell 300 Elise's per year...

16 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Quite, it was disappointingly heavy, in my eyes.

That goes with all the added creature comfort I'm afraid. I was hoping for the last Lotus ICE to be a new Esprit, not a next generation Evora. I'm sure it will be a great car and appeal to a bigger crowd as there seems to be a lot of interest from non-Lotus owners, which is what Geely wanted. Those who prefer an Elise/Exige will be harder to convince. And a new Esprit, if it ever happens, is likely to be electric (which puts us back on topic somewhat 🙂 ). 

I've only seen renderings of the Munro, but based on an Ibex is certainly a good start. The limited range is probably enough for most practical applications like farmers (the original/main market for the Ibex I think) but could be a problem for leisure users wanting to take an offroad trip or drive to a pay&play and back. Unless we put a big diesel generator at each offroad site. 🙂

"You can go anywhere, as long as there's electricity" doesn't really cut it... And not as easily solved as just putting a can of petrol/diesel in the back.

Filip

2 hours ago, Escape said:

🙂

I've only seen renderings of the Munro, but based on an Ibex is certainly a good start. The limited range is probably enough for most practical applications like farmers (the original/main market for the Ibex I think) but could be a problem for leisure users wanting to take an offroad trip or drive to a pay&play and back. Unless we put a big diesel generator at each offroad site. 🙂

"You can go anywhere, as long as there's electricity" doesn't really cut it... And not as easily solved as just putting a can of petrol/diesel in the back.

Filip

https://m.facebook.com/ibexvehicles/?tsid=0.4602177016205711&source=result

Hopefully that will work.

Range is the problem with all electric vehicles. Until I can do the 700 odd mile trip to the mother-in-law without it taking two days because of charge times, I won't be buying one. However 100 miles is more than enough for my daily commute so as a second car it's viable, if I could afford one and I didn't think the battery range would drop to un-useable levels within a few years.

Mike

Edited by miketomcat
  • Like 1

Well electricity peaked at over £2000/MWhr wholesale yesterday, when we lost one of the 1GW links to the French. Interestingly wind was doing about 1GW then suddenly has gone to 5GW, presumably all have been started up to grab some lucre. Some other (huge) arrangements will be needed if we are to give up coal, petrol, diesel and gas boilers. Sorry, rather OT.

• Like 2